The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sleep

XxThelionxX

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 26, 2017
Texas
Does anybody have any idea what I can do?

I have been struggling with my sleep for years now. It's 1am and I can't sleep because I had woken up today at 4pm

being an early riser must be a job in and of itself. I see all these strategies online

I have many reasons why my sleep may have been affected
One being that I never slept at the right time during school. And thenI went through a phase of trying to wake up at 4am. I don't think I had the discipline to do this. As hard as I may have tried. But what's even more is that I had medication that may have been a factor. It has been some time since this was going on.

I don't have a job. But a job isn't something I wish to do. Do you have any strategies that would give me the stability that a job would.

And possibly some way I can make it without pulling an all nighter!

Thanks

ps. I'm going to try and put some strategies in play. I'm in my twenties and this maybe just a lack of discipline.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Victor1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 17, 2020

I have been struggling with my sleep for years now. It's 1am and I can't sleep because I had woken up today at 4pm

being an early riser must be a job in and of itself. I see all these strategies online

One being that I never slept at the right time during school. And thenI went through a phase of trying to wake up at 4am. I don't think I had the discipline to do this. As hard as I may have tried. But what's even more is that I had medication that may have been a factor. It has been some time since this was going on.

I don't have a job. But a job isn't something I wish to do. Do you have any strategies that would give me the stability that a job would.

Thanks

ps. I'm going to try and put some strategies in play. I'm in my twenties and this maybe just a lack of discipline.
Physical exercises in the morning, less caffeine and less social media will help you drastically.

jackBruh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 14, 2020
Unless you have an underlying problem, the only effective way is to make a routine. Choose your wake up and bed time goals and stick to it. Turn your phone off and leave it in another room. Even if you're not tired get into bed at the right time. Even if you are tired, get up at the right time. Get one of those annoying alarm clocks that throws stuff around your room or makes you stand up. I read somewhere that the body adapts to 1 hour of jetlag per day so it'll take a week or two. Get a job if you need external accountability and can't do it yourself.

Luis Weiland

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 13, 2020

Thanks

Meditation before sleep is very powerful. You are very relaxed and get into the right state. Also for your mindset. I guess your mindset in the evening is: I won't be able to sleep.
When you meditate you clear your mind and your thoughts.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland

Thanks

The switch is pretty hard. I'm also trying myself to get from sleeping from 12:00 to 8:00 to sleeping from 10:00 to 4:00 and I really struggle. And it takes time but I found if you just stick with it, it eventually will work. If you wake up once at 4:00 you'll be tired pretty much the whole day and won't have a problem sleeping in the evening. And then you can even sleep at 10 pm or so and if you go to sleep that early it's much easier to get up at 4 am or 6 am or whatever.
Two other things which helped me a lot are drinking around 2-3 liters of water a day. And a workout in the morning (really short-run and stretching) and going to the gym in the evening. (around 8 pm so that I can sleep around 10/11 pm without a problem)

Tony100

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 11, 2020
  • As others have said you need to wake up at the same time every day and go to sleep at the same time every day
  • 2 hours before bed, stop using electronic devices. The light coming from screens affects your sleep a lot.
  • Create an evening routine during that 2 hours. Like change into pyjamas, brush teeth, wash face, tidy room, lay out clothes for next day, turn off your main light - just have lamp on at a desk then journal (to empty your head), read something relaxing like fiction. Having a routine signals to your brain it is time to sleep.
  • Use an alarm (not your phone) and position it so you have to walk across the room to turn it off. Then get straight up, don't go on your phone in bed.
  • Only use your bed for sleeping, not watching movies or going on your phone.
  • Alcohol might disrupt your sleep. Also avoid caffeine later in the day.
  • Don't eat or drink too close to bedtime and don't over eat.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
  • Only use your bed for sleeping, not watching movies or going on your phone.
Great points. Really love this one. Never thought about that before. Will certainly do that in the future. Thanks

Joseph1986

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 30, 2020
Canada
My insomnia was intense. Sometimes I would go literally 4–5 nights feeling I hadn’t slept! (Now how much of that was paradoxical insomnia, I can’t say…after real insomnia, I think I developed that, too!) For me, my 5-year battle with insomnia is not a matter of full recovery, but I would call myself in remission. And like someone overcoming a chronic addiction, recovery is a daily process.

Billion_!n_a_r

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 18, 2020
see prior threads .... LOT of good stuff in there ...
View attachment 35353

Thanks

Try this simple but effective strategy

Whenever you inhale slowly in your heart say 1
Whenever u exhale slowly in your heart say 2
Try to focus only on numbers but nothing else if something's comes to mind it's ok shift your focus again on 1 and 2 inhale 1 exhale 2

Not Most People

"If everyone else is doing it, its probably wrong"
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 28, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
Your circadian rhythm is all out of whack because you're not in sync at all with the natural rising and setting of the sun. I used to have a super late sleeping schedule as well. You can do a few simple things to use natural light to your advantage.

1. Get blue-light blocking glasses. Don't look at any screens without them after the sun goes down. Blue-light (the light produced by most LEDs - phone, tv, computer screens) simulates daylight and signals to your body that it's still daytime when it's not so your brain is tricked into staying more alert. This has been huge for me. Also, stop looking at any screens 1-2 hours before bedtime. And put your phone in a separate room while you sleep.
  2. When you wake up get outside as soon as possible without sunglasses. The sunlight will signal to your body that it's time to wake up. If you can, let natural sunlight into your bedroom in the morning and get an alarm clock that gradually brightens as your wake-up alarm approaches.
  3. When you sleep, make sure that it is as dark as humanly possible in your room.

In addition to the things with light, try cutting out as many stimulants as possible. I cut out caffeine a couple of months ago and I sleep better, wake up way easier, and am more alert throughout the day without it.

High-quality magnesium or ZMA before you go to bed is also hugely helpful in getting deeper sleep. This is doubly effective if you are doing intense exercise during the day.

Don't eat anything within 2-3 of the time you're trying to go to bed, especially anything high in fat. If your body is working hard to digest food it makes it really hard to get into a deep sleep.

In terms of getting on a better schedule, do it gradually. You won't be able to maintain anything if you try to do a sudden 5 hours shift. Work your way earlier and earlier each week.

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
From personal experience, I have ADHD which means approx 1 week of each month I get fairly hyperactive (probably hormonal change) so I can live quite happily on 4 hours per night for the few days it happens.
Im buzzing and focussed on things so my mind won't stop.

However Ive found that generally treating my body well with good nutrition, exercise daily and meditation or yoga help me have a restful sleep.

I listen to a spotify soundtrack sleep hypnosis every night.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Are you anxious? Is it your thoughts that don't let you sleep? To all those suggestions I'd like to add that some warm Sleepytime Extra tea at night used to help me. As long as we're talking about normal insomnia and nothing that needs treatment, the Valerian in the tea is usually good at calming the mind and help you wind down.

I second the sleep hypnosis. I use a YT channel called Minds in Unison and I have this headband/eye mask with speakers to play it low during the night. If it stops it stops. I've had success fairly often with that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.