The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Skating Made Easy

Dionysus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 10, 2012
I'm working with a friend who created a product similar to this - TRICK GRIP 3 years ago and already has the patent for it. His idea is better because its simpler, in that there are two tricks on the grip tape instead of three and overall design is simpler. His also doesn't require the skater to buy left or right foot grips instead they just flip the board.

The product is aimed at making it easier for beginner skaters to learn tricks. Such as, the Ollie, KickFlip, HeelFlip and Pop-Shuvit By outlining the correct foot positioning on the board to do said tricks. A couple years back he tested it at a skate park with 15 people and all 15 gave him positive feedback. Some people said they would buy it for like $10-15 (construction price is only $5).

The current plan is to create some more and test it out at a skate-park again to see the feedback that people give. We're also working on a name to call the product. We'll also create a facebook page for the product that we can have skaters refer their friends to. Just trying to keep things simple right now and see if there's a market out there for this. Any and all feedback is welcomed. If Snuggie made millions then why cant this too? lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Sounds like you guys have good progress!

I'm working with a friend who created a product similar to this - TRICK GRIP 3 years ago and already has the patent for it.l
Does this mean you have to license their idea for yours?

His idea is better because its simpler, in that there are two tricks on the grip tape instead of three and overall design is simpler. His also doesn't require the skater to buy left or right foot grips instead they just flip the board.
Why is two better than three? More tricks = more value imo. Also, flipping the board might not work. A lot of boards have a front and back with two different lips.

The product is aimed at making it easier for beginner skaters to learn tricks. By outlining the correct foot positioning on the board to do said tricks. A couple years back he tested it at a skate park with 15 people and all 15 gave him positive feedback. Some people said they would buy it for like $10-15 (construction price is only $5).
How does this compare to the price of regular grips? As it is unlikely that a new skater will be grabbing all the parts to build a custom deck right from the start, have you guys thought about implementing an actual pre-built beginner board that includes your grip on it?

If Snuggie made millions then why cant this too? lol
Short answer, the market for the Snuggie is bigger. More people want blankets than to learn how to skate. A skate grip JUST for beginners is very very very niche.

Goodluck!

MCD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 26, 2011
If you're testing the market, why not start off with something simple like an ebay listing? You'll get near instant validation that your product fills a need for just a few dollars in fees. I think that would be a more effective way of testing the market then going through the motions of starting a business by making a facebook page, creating a referral system etc. That stuff can be done once you're sure that your filling a need.
Anyway, your idea is great and you can make a lot of money as long as you really hustle. Good luck!

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
As a former and current sideline skater, I absolutely love this. But it seems like you could partner with a board company, maybe CCS or Active, to put it on complete decks they sell. Some sort of package, but you would have to t mark it and get some traction so you dont get copied right out of the gate. Get some sales then approach them.

You really only need to teach someone a few tricks to set them off in the right direction; ollie, kickflip, shove its and 360 flips. I feel like you could put at least those on the board, maybe even foot placements for some grinds too, or manuals?

Send it to some magazine editors or bloggers to get their advice, hell.. send me a roll I will try it out and give you my pov.

Can it teach me to skate pools again?? You should see our new park here... Lucky enough last year to go to the protech contest at Vans.. sick!

Dionysus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 10, 2012
@dknise
Having 2 tricks limits the distractions and 3 overcrowds it.
Instead of flipping the board we'll just make some for Goofy and Regular foot placement.

You have grip tape prices ranging from around $5 for plain grip tape to like $15 for ones with designs. We haven't thought about making a pre-built board yet because we wanted to see the feedback the product got by its self.

@MCD
We aren't doing the Ebay thing because we want real time feedback from skaters. Going to a skate park would just be faster.

@puckman
Puckman, since you asked we'll definitely send you a sample once we finish redesigning it(check your inbox). Partnering with a board company does sound like a great idea for when we need to expand. Grinding foot placement sounds great for an additional product. Don't want to put too much on one grip tape. As for pool skating not sure about that yet, But we are thinking of making grips for different level tricks from beginner > intermediate > advance

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
had an idea, you could combine this with an instructional DVD on how to use it, you could film it yourself or find a local pro/amateur to be the star. heck, if you have funding maybe you can find a pro or a retired pro to be in the video, you could give them a % or strike some good deal with them if you dont have cash to pay them. A lot of former pro's are working regular jobs just making a living, they may take you up on it if you present it well. Hell, Eric Dressen is a tattoo artist in Hollywood, and he was one of the best when I was coming up. If you used a big pro, someone like a P Rod, Sheckler, Corey Duffel, Chris Cole etc, expect to pay big bucks, but who knows, there are lots of 2nd tier pro's that arent millionaires who may be up for it. Pitch it to Dyrdek, but of course cut me in first ;)

Dionysus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 10, 2012
had an idea, you could combine this with an instructional DVD on how to use it, you could film it yourself or find a local pro/amateur to be the star. heck, if you have funding maybe you can find a pro or a retired pro to be in the video, you could give them a % or strike some good deal with them if you dont have cash to pay them. A lot of former pro's are working regular jobs just making a living, they may take you up on it if you present it well. Hell, Eric Dressen is a tattoo artist in Hollywood, and he was one of the best when I was coming up. If you used a big pro, someone like a P Rod, Sheckler, Corey Duffel, Chris Cole etc, expect to pay big bucks, but who knows, there are lots of 2nd tier pro's that arent millionaires who may be up for it. Pitch it to Dyrdek, but of course cut me in first ;)

I was thinking of making an instructional Youtube video for people to watch and for people to get the link through our fb page. That way they can just pull it up quickly on their phone and could cause them to check the fb site more often for updates. But I see how we can use the instructional DVD to up the price and getting a pro/ammy skater to do the instructional would be great. These are some great ideas, keep it coming guys, and thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.