The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Silver Spoon with a terrible taste.

Fasoon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Dec 15, 2020
Hey Guys,

While I have been blessed in my life with great parents the life hasn't been all that sweet. And todays story has been motivated by another gut wrenching blow, but on that more shortly.

I come from a little known country Latvia located in Eastern Europe where the rough weathers, corruption, gangs and what not have thought me to be street-smart and sometimes bold in my actions. Most of my childhood has been supported by a single bloody hard working mother that have thought me what real hard work means. Soon after I turned 18 I got my drivers license and joined my mum to work as a taxi driver. This job had attracted me because of the "unlimited" hours (sometimes up to 36hours straight, no joke), love for driving and ability to meet many people.

While I was slowly drifting into mediocrity and enjoying my life the reality started to creep up with few life changing moments, some lucky some not so much.
I started building my callus when my first love left me for some more successful guy, that drove me into a lengthy depressive period (thankfully at the time I didn't label it as such). Later that was followed by my brother being diagnosed with schizophrenia which was a very tough spot to be in. I probably have never felt so helpless in my life and don't wish anyone to ever experience such pain. When realizing that I might have to be supporting him for the rest of my life the small entrepreneurial spirit started to emerge.

Like many in this forum I had taken many detours down misleading entrepreneurial paths (aka turn key businesses).

Then out of the blue a blessing in disguise. My mother met and later married a wealthy Australian Investor who brought us out to Australia to live.

While I was very stubborn in many ways he had convinced me that If I study business in University maybe my luck will change so I did. Also, this step was partially to satisfy visa requirements.
Although my opinion about University at a time was very pessimistic it later changed as it did greatly benefit many basic skills like English language, presentation skills and just general critical thinking.

Soon after the university finished and the script started to set in: "Go and get a job in the Big 4 and get more experience", "Get Sponsored Visa from a company", "Start making serious money" etc.
I decided to give one final attempt into entrepreneurship and exploited my passion for photography. Since then I have successfully managed to create a Print On Demand business (while working part time) and just recently we had celebrated reaching 6 figures and have a good plan in place to keep this baby growing.

While this should have been a start to something great I have recently learned that my only option to remain in Australia would be to to take on my part time job full time and get sponsored by the company. This is due to Australia taking away many on the Visa options I had in plan to take after quitting my job. This feeling is very gut wrenching as I don't see how I will ever be able to leave my job if I want to remain in this country but I hope that time will offer other opportunities.

My ultimate goal is to break out of the script and provide a working opportunity for my brother and other people left unemployed after Pandemic. While I might not be able to do it right this minute, this is something that is coming my way and will take another detour to arrive.

Thank you for taking interest this far. Have a great day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
While this should have been a start to something great I have recently learned that my only option to remain in Australia would be to to take on my part time job full time and get sponsored by the company. This is due to Australia taking away many on the Visa options I had in plan to take after quitting my job
Hi Fasoon and welcome to the forum.

Have you taken professional advice over this or just asked questions on FB groups and the like?

For such an important decision I would seek out several immigration experts for their opinions. Is your mother now an Australian citizen? If not if she became one would that have a bearing? How long would you need to work for a company before you could set up your own business? Could you become a citizen in your own right and how long would that take?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In America, "silver spoon" means a spoiled brat with parents that give them everything. I don't think that is you.

Since then I have successfully managed to create a Print On Demand business (while working part time) and just recently we had celebrated reaching 6 figures and have a good plan in place to keep this baby growing.

Congrats!

Welcome to the forum.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I think the successful Australian Citizen your mother is married to is, in a roundabout way, telling you the fastest route to getting Citizenship.

Obviously you were over 18 when you went so Australia will use their points based system.

So mother is ,married - check
To someone who is Australian - check
and financially secure - check
You have a secure residence - check
You have a degree (more points than just high school) check

you get the gist.

Points make prizes and you will need to get over some line. Maybe a company sponsoring you plus the above is all you need to take you over that line where as being self employed with the above does not.

Once you have Citizenship you can do what you like afterwards.

Your mother or husband can quite easily run your venture in 'name' if it really is not relevant to the points system whilst you get the points elsewhere whether you like it or not. It's not like the process takes years.

As mentioned above get proper advice, however I am sure your mum's husband already knows what is necessary.

Good luck.

Dan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fasoon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Dec 15, 2020
Hi Fasoon and welcome to the forum.

Have you taken professional advice over this or just asked questions on FB groups and the like?

For such an important decision I would seek out several immigration experts for their opinions. Is your mother now an Australian citizen? If not if she became one would that have a bearing? How long would you need to work for a company before you could set up your own business? Could you become a citizen in your own right and how long would that take?
Hey Razor cut,

I have lived in the county for some 6 years now and for the whole time living here have been through many visas and visa agents. While there ia a vague opportunity in the future the only way to get to it would be to continue the current path of having a JOB and keeping the business on the sidelines.

In America, "silver spoon" means a spoiled brat with parents that give them everything. I don't think that is you.

Congrats!

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you, MJ, for taking your time and reading through my story.
While I had to put in the work for everything there were some aspects of luck that got me there. Maybe Silver Spoon wouldn't be the most fitting description in that case.

I think the successful Australian Citizen your mother is married to is, in a roundabout way, telling you the fastest route to getting Citizenship.

Obviously you were over 18 when you went so Australia will use their points based system.

So mother is ,married - check
To someone who is Australian - check
and financially secure - check
You have a secure residence - check
You have a degree (more points than just high school) check

you get the gist.

Points make prizes and you will need to get over some line. Maybe a company sponsoring you plus the above is all you need to take you over that line where as being self employed with the above does not.

Once you have Citizenship you can do what you like afterwards.

Your mother or husband can quite easily run your venture in 'name' if it really is not relevant to the points system whilst you get the points elsewhere whether you like it or not. It's not like the process takes years.

As mentioned above get proper advice, however I am sure your mum's husband already knows what is necessary.

Good luck.

Dan

Cheers Dan,

You're quite on the point here. There is so much that has already checked out and is just a matter of time.

Luckily in my situation, the job allows me a few hours a day to get on my personal business and also finishes sharp at 5 PM which also leaves ample time to continue work after that time.
Also, I have been getting my partner to start helping me out with a few aspects of it here and there and if all goes well she might come on full time.

runnaboi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 25, 2020
Australia
Hey Guys,

While I have been blessed in my life with great parents the life hasn't been all that sweet. And todays story has been motivated by another gut wrenching blow, but on that more shortly.

I come from a little known country Latvia located in Eastern Europe where the rough weathers, corruption, gangs and what not have thought me to be street-smart and sometimes bold in my actions. Most of my childhood has been supported by a single bloody hard working mother that have thought me what real hard work means. Soon after I turned 18 I got my drivers license and joined my mum to work as a taxi driver. This job had attracted me because of the "unlimited" hours (sometimes up to 36hours straight, no joke), love for driving and ability to meet many people.

While I was slowly drifting into mediocrity and enjoying my life the reality started to creep up with few life changing moments, some lucky some not so much.
I started building my callus when my first love left me for some more successful guy, that drove me into a lengthy depressive period (thankfully at the time I didn't label it as such). Later that was followed by my brother being diagnosed with schizophrenia which was a very tough spot to be in. I probably have never felt so helpless in my life and don't wish anyone to ever experience such pain. When realizing that I might have to be supporting him for the rest of my life the small entrepreneurial spirit started to emerge.

Like many in this forum I had taken many detours down misleading entrepreneurial paths (aka turn key businesses).

Then out of the blue a blessing in disguise. My mother met and later married a wealthy Australian Investor who brought us out to Australia to live.

While I was very stubborn in many ways he had convinced me that If I study business in University maybe my luck will change so I did. Also, this step was partially to satisfy visa requirements.
Although my opinion about University at a time was very pessimistic it later changed as it did greatly benefit many basic skills like English language, presentation skills and just general critical thinking.

Soon after the university finished and the script started to set in: "Go and get a job in the Big 4 and get more experience", "Get Sponsored Visa from a company", "Start making serious money" etc.
I decided to give one final attempt into entrepreneurship and exploited my passion for photography. Since then I have successfully managed to create a Print On Demand business (while working part time) and just recently we had celebrated reaching 6 figures and have a good plan in place to keep this baby growing.

While this should have been a start to something great I have recently learned that my only option to remain in Australia would be to to take on my part time job full time and get sponsored by the company. This is due to Australia taking away many on the Visa options I had in plan to take after quitting my job. This feeling is very gut wrenching as I don't see how I will ever be able to leave my job if I want to remain in this country but I hope that time will offer other opportunities.

My ultimate goal is to break out of the script and provide a working opportunity for my brother and other people left unemployed after Pandemic. While I might not be able to do it right this minute, this is something that is coming my way and will take another detour to arrive.

Thank you for taking interest this far. Have a great day.
Let me know if you want me to DM you the contact details of a very good Australian immigration lawyer... really hope it works out for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...