The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shut your mouth and get to work.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Thank you for this MJ, I saw this and it reminded me.

Not quite about business, but about video games.

I always was a gaming addict, playing about 8 hours everyday.

I kept telling my friends and family im going to quit and no one believed me.

I was mad at them at the time because I wasn’t any better, looking back, they had every right to doubt me.

Then I just quit one day, it’s been a few months and they’re in shock, some still think I’m lying.

They all believe me when I say I want to do something, after I proved them wrong.

Goes to show how done does beat doubt.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chrisrod2597

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Feb 3, 2022
I was raking in the cash and needed an extra pair of hands to keep things rolling. Enter my mother. She had reluctantly taken up the unenviable task of managing the accounts receivable while I hunted for a suitable employee.

Let's back up a bit, though.

See, my mother had always been the voice of pragmatism. She wasn't exactly the cheerleader for my entrepreneurial ambitions. And truth be told, who could blame her? I'd been running with one idea after another, tripping up more often than not, while she sent up her daily mantra from the foot of the stairs, "GET A JOB BABY!"

So, picture this. She's poring over the invoices, numbers running into six figures, and she looks at me wide-eyed, "You're owed all this?" I nod, and her jaw quite literally drops. That was it. That was the moment her doubt evaporated, replaced with a newfound faith in my entrepreneurial pursuits. Years later, I'd take great pleasure in wiping off her mortgage with one check.

So here's the thing. My mom's skepticism was annihilated by tangible results. DONE wiped DOUBT off the map.

One colossal mistake a greenhorn entrepreneur lusting after the good life, complete control over time, and a life that thrums with purpose can make is to yak away.

Yep, talk.

I'm referring to the trap of unveiling your lofty dreams and ambitions to the average Joe or Jane leading an average life. See, these folks are soaked in a culture that worships the Scripted life, where being a victim and average are seen as virtues.

Take a gander at the fresh-faced enthusiasts popping into the forum here, and it's clear that their problems are not about business or Fastlane, CENTS, or a lack of ideas. It's about feeling adrift in a sea of skepticism.

Remember the wisdom of Mom: "Talk is cheap."

Replace "plans" with "pipe dreams," and you've pretty much summed up the general sentiment.

So here's the deal: Save your words.

And don't even think about that Instagram story.

The unsettling truth you've got to swallow is that not only does no one care, they don't believe you either. Even when they pat your back or smash that like button, they're still doubtful and expect you to falter.

Put up a post about a shiny new promotion or a job, and watch the likes rain.

But talk about launching your own venture, and you'll be greeted with deafening silence.

What's more, those closest to you might try to douse your dreams. Resistance could even escalate to threats – of divorce, eviction, or cutting off financial aid. Defying conventional wisdom? Brace yourself for a barrage of 'common sense' from commoners stuck in the rat race.

"No one gets rich quick!"
"Retiring with millions in your 30s? Yeah, right!"
"Most startups are doomed!"
"DeMarco is just another snake oil salesman selling dreams!"

But here's the thing. This skepticism isn't unwarranted. It's rooted in reality because talk is, indeed, cheap. Announcing grand plans is easy, but walking the talk? That's the real grind. You can't make the skeptics see the light with mere chit-chat. You can thrust a book in their face, but you can't force them to believe it.

Living by someone else's opinion means living their life, not yours.

The only antidote to doubt is to act, to deliver, to get it done.

Done is pulling into your parents' driveway in a brand-new, loan-free Ferrari. Done is hiring your uncle because business is booming. Done is watching your mother's jaw drop as she deals with six-figure invoices and then surprising her with a mortgage-free life.

Done is achievement. Done is the ultimate doubt-killer.

Enough said.

Shut your mouth, quit sharing pipe dreams from your parent's attic, and get to work.
You have a great point @MJ DeMarco everyone around me even friends and family don't think it's possible to reach the Fastlane and live an unscripted life. When ever I am given average advice from an average Joe or Jane, it goes through 1 ear and out through the other. Thank you for calling me out.

oneac

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 29, 2022
I was raking in the cash and needed an extra pair of hands to keep things rolling. Enter my mother. She had reluctantly taken up the unenviable task of managing the accounts receivable while I hunted for a suitable employee.

See, my mother had always been the voice of pragmatism. She wasn't exactly the cheerleader for my entrepreneurial ambitions. And truth be told, who could blame her? I'd been running with one idea after another, tripping up more often than not, while she sent up her daily mantra from the foot of the stairs, "GET A JOB BABY!"

So, picture this. She's poring over the invoices, numbers running into six figures, and she looks at me wide-eyed, "You're owed all this?" I nod, and her jaw quite literally drops. That was it. That was the moment her doubt evaporated, replaced with a newfound faith in my entrepreneurial pursuits. Years later, I'd take great pleasure in wiping off her mortgage with one check.

So here's the thing. My mom's skepticism was annihilated by tangible results. DONE wiped DOUBT off the map.

One colossal mistake a greenhorn entrepreneur lusting after the good life, complete control over time, and a life that thrums with purpose can make is to yak away.

Yep, talk.

I'm referring to the trap of unveiling your lofty dreams and ambitions to the average Joe or Jane leading an average life. See, these folks are soaked in a culture that worships the Scripted life, where being a victim and average are seen as virtues.

Take a gander at the fresh-faced enthusiasts popping into the forum here, and it's clear that their problems are not about business or Fastlane, CENTS, or a lack of ideas. It's about feeling adrift in a sea of skepticism.

Replace "plans" with "pipe dreams," and you've pretty much summed up the general sentiment.

The unsettling truth you've got to swallow is that not only does no one care, they don't believe you either. Even when they pat your back or smash that like button, they're still doubtful and expect you to falter.

But talk about launching your own venture, and you'll be greeted with deafening silence.

What's more, those closest to you might try to douse your dreams. Resistance could even escalate to threats – of divorce, eviction, or cutting off financial aid. Defying conventional wisdom? Brace yourself for a barrage of 'common sense' from commoners stuck in the rat race.

But here's the thing. This skepticism isn't unwarranted. It's rooted in reality because talk is, indeed, cheap. Announcing grand plans is easy, but walking the talk? That's the real grind. You can't make the skeptics see the light with mere chit-chat. You can thrust a book in their face, but you can't force them to believe it.

Done is pulling into your parents' driveway in a brand-new, loan-free Ferrari. Done is hiring your uncle because business is booming. Done is watching your mother's jaw drop as she deals with six-figure invoices and then surprising her with a mortgage-free life.

Enough said.

Shut your mouth, quit sharing pipe dreams from your parent's attic, and get to work.
Very true.

I find that talking about my goals with people who aren't on board deflates my passion to continue.

Probably because when I work in silence I'm working from an internal place. Working like this is exciting. It's like a secret that only I know.

But when I tell people what I'm up to, all of that goes away. I feel like I've accomplished something, when in reality all I've done was blab my mouth.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023

Yep, talk.

Enough said.

pretty cool we have access to more of your writings beyond your books. Thank you MJ.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.