The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should you license a product?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
I finally decided to take a chance on myself and bring an idea to life. I threw it on kickstarter and we hit our goal. I got the suggestion to go the licensing route with the product. It has crossed my mind, but I don't know much about it.

I just got the book "ONE SIMPLE IDEA" by Stephen Key and looking forward to learning from it.

I am new to this, and realize a lot of growth will come from taking action and probably failing a few times. I don't mean that in a negative way, just being realistic. Starting from ground zero and just going for it.

Anyone here have any experience from licensing a product?

Would love to hear any experiences, (good or bad) or any advice/tips.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I finally decided to take a chance on myself and bring an idea to life. I threw it on kickstarter and we hit our goal. I got the suggestion to go the licensing route with the product. It has crossed my mind, but I don't know much about it.

I just got the book "ONE SIMPLE IDEA" by Stephen Key and looking forward to learning from it.

I am new to this, and realize a lot of growth will come from taking action and probably failing a few times. I don't mean that in a negative way, just being realistic. Starting from ground zero and just going for it.

Anyone here have any experience from licensing a product?

Would love to hear any experiences, (good or bad) or any advice/tips.
So Stephen Key licenses products to companies, and then collects "mail box money" or a royalty. His book One Simple Idea is really the reference standard on that whole business model. If you want to go that route, I would suggest you consider going beyond the book and becoming a student of the academy/organization he has. They provide you mentorship. It comes at a cost, but the cost can produce a lucrative license deal. He has many, many success stories. He is actually a member here, although it has been quite a while since he has visited.

In my business, we license brand names to put on our products, essentially creating an "overnight brand."

I assume maybe you are talking more about the Stephen Key model?

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
So Stephen Key licenses products to companies, and then collects "mail box money" or a royalty. His book One Simple Idea is really the reference standard on that whole business model. If you want to go that route, I would suggest you consider going beyond the book and becoming a student of the academy/organization he has. They provide you mentorship. It comes at a cost, but the cost can produce a lucrative license deal. He has many, many success stories. He is actually a member here, although it has been quite a while since he has visited.

In my business, we license brand names to put on our products, essentially creating an "overnight brand."

I assume maybe you are talking more about the Stephen Key model?
Yes the Stephen key model would probably be a better fit. Your business sounds awesome btw.
I plan to read ONE SIMPLE IDEA over the weekend and check out the course.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
@Vigilante big time. I am a proud board member of a new venture of his where he got a massive license deal.
That's awesome! Do you mind sharing what he licensed and with who? How long the process took?

very interested in hearing more of the story.

Rearden

Inventor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Aug 24, 2017
Michigan
I can help if you are interested. I have coached over 170 inventors to successfully license products. I was the head coach at Stephen Key's program for 5 years.
Let me know if you have any questions I would love to help

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
That's awesome! Do you mind sharing what he licensed and with who? How long the process took?

very interested in hearing more of the story.
I'll tell the story here eventually.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
I can help if you are interested. I have coached over 170 inventors to successfully license products. I was the head coach at Stephen Key's program for 5 years.
Let me know if you have any questions I would love to help
Would love that!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!