The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should You Have To Pay Fees To An Angel Investor?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships
J

jigga18

[h=2]I've been pitched a couple of offers from investment firms in the UK. But the catch is paying fees in order for these investors to invest in my company. I don't understand why I would have to pay fees for somebody to invest in my company. For those that have had experience with angel investors, I want to know if this is par for the course or is this something I should steer away from?[/h]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jaywolf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jul 31, 2012
That is definitely suspect. There's no reason you should have to pay money or fees to have an investor invest in you, I didn't. If someone is interested in your idea they will come to you wanting to give YOU money for an equitable stake in the company, but they wouldn't ask you for money upfront.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
WTF!? Hell no! Run away and do not look back. That sounds like a SCAM.

I have never dealt with investors. But this makes zero sense. Tell them to F**K OFF.

Listen to your gut/instincts. If you are still unsure: do a very detail investigation.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
You never say how much it is. Some may have a small token fee to sort the I have a great idea but don't really want to work at it crowd from the I will do anything to make this work group that is worthy of funding. It should be really small, barely 3 digits kind of thing.

If they have truly come to you with an investment plan and want some front end money, then I would run.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
They are probably acting as agent status, telling you they'll hook you up with investors. Most of them operate as 'consulting' and the payment would be a % success fee, no upfront payment. It's done all the time. Any upfront fees could be for preparing your business plan, offering, doing projections etc... There is a big hole in the small/med business financing area as the SEC wants everyone registered as broker/dealer but smaller/med deals usually don't get pursued at that level. Many go to the UK public markets instead of the US, less restrictive.

Mouse

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 1, 2012
There was an angel group here, and they had a registration fee. I didn't look into it much though.

J

jigga18

I decided not to go through with it,
but both companies told me that the fees were for:
Banker Draft Issuance fee
Notary and court registration fees
Legalization of signed Agreement
Filing of signed Agreement
UK money laundering compliance

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.