The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I use a patent attorney?

JP66

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Nov 22, 2010
I've thought of a product that I would like to pursue. I'm not sure if it hasn't been done before, but have seen a few things "like" it. I have done the patent search through Google, and checked into a few other places to see if it has been done before, but still am not sure. Is my best bet to pay a patent attorney to give me a definite answer on wether it is doable?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rocky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 27, 2010
FL
Go to USPTO.GOV and do a patent search.
Try also to find a patent agent they can charge a lot less or a retired patent attorney.
Try also to look for inventor clubs in you area if there are none find a inventors forum to get some help.

bungeesurfer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 29, 2010
Boise, Idaho
I have had 2 patents granted. 1 through an attorney and 1 through a patent agent. They were both well done and took the same amount of time, but the one through the patent agent cost much less. If you can find a good patent agent then go with that.

andrewjone

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 27, 2011
This is an easy way but in case of mishap there must be a way to come out of such trademark issues. I think considering a patent or trademark lawyer for critical tasks won't be a bad idea either.

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I've thought of a product that I would like to pursue. I'm not sure if it hasn't been done before, but have seen a few things "like" it. I have done the patent search through Google, and checked into a few other places to see if it has been done before, but still am not sure. Is my best bet to pay a patent attorney to give me a definite answer on wether it is doable?

Before you get a patent read Stephen Key's book "One Simple Idea."

You won't be sorry. I read the book in three days and learned everything you need to know about the patent and product game. So worth the investment.

His book is about licensing, but the principles can be applied to any business or idea that you have.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Before you get a patent read Stephen Key's book "One Simple Idea."

You won't be sorry. I read the book in three days and learned everything you need to know about the patent and product game. So worth the investment.

His book is about licensing, but the principles can be applied to any business or idea that you have.

Stephen Key pretty much rules in this realm

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Stephen Key pretty much rules in this realm

Maybe that's true but only if your plan is to license your product. I would still consider licensing fastlane but it would have to be a product you can sell millions of and you would probably have to come up with multiple products to see any type of money that would make you reach your goals. You can live comfortable by licensing but it will be really difficult to make a lot of money. Unless of course you write a book about it when your done and it becomes a best seller. It would have to be a really remarkable product for you to become wealthy from it. If it is at all possible, look into manufacturing it yourself. I don't mean you actually making the product. Try to get it outsourced and sell it on your on. It's a bigger risk but a much bigger reward. You can also try licensing first just to get your feet wet and maybe make some cash to fund your next invention and try doing that one on your own. There's another book called "the Inventor's Bible" by Ronald Louis Docie Sr. It will help you decide if licensing or manufacturing is right for you and also if it's worth getting a patent for your product.

Jul 5, 2011
You can probably just pursue your patent through a business attorney. It depends on your specific case, but I know people who have been approved for patents with only the help of their usual attorney. In my opinion it's better to go with someone you already know and trust if at all possible.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.