The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I learn copywriting?

Kaan Gullu

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 4, 2022
Hey guys,

I'm 17 and have been learning coding for just over a year now (see my first post) but recently came across copywriting that I think I'd be far better off learning and dedicating my time to to ultimately use as a profitable skill. As far as I understand, copywriting is essentially writing out text in a way that sells or advertises well. I think I'd be better suited for this as writing in a verbose tone has always been a pretty great talent of mine. I excel in these types of subjects at school. Should I build on this talent and dedicate myself to getting skilled in copywriting? Thank you for any responses or comments.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Sales always come first and are necessary in every business. You can always outsource coding and don't even need it in every business. Outsourcing copywriting is not so easy.

I'd definitely read at least a couple of classics on copywriting and see how you like it and if you want to learn more.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Sales always come first and are necessary in every business. You can always outsource coding and don't even need it in every business. Outsourcing copywriting is not so easy.
This is true, without sales there is no business. At the same time, I think the skill of generating awareness at scale may be even more important. Many products and services these days sell without any “sales” in the traditional sense. Gary Vee, for example, built a $200M company on marketing, not sales. Grant Cardone built his entire “sales training” empire on pure marketing. Joe Rogan, and so on.

To a certain extent, sales is on the way out, as more and more people buy through inbound forms of marketing. They don’t need to be sold, they make the decision themselves.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
If you're already good at writing entertaining shit then just go for it. You don't need to learn anything. Just start applying for copywriting gigs.

Most copywriters I've seen so far would be better off calling themselves "copypasters" because they all seem to regurgitate the same crap they read from X famous copywriting book or course. I know zero famous copywriters and took zero courses and I'm doing pretty good. I did, however, have a lot of business knowledge from my past successes and failures, and seeing as you're 17, I doubt you could say the same. Nevertheless, getting your hands dirty is the way to go.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Sure, but only if you feel the programming is not suitable for you. If you are able to learn both, go ahead. Usually a combination of two great skills open more opportunities than being superb in a single skill.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
if you want money in the end as the last stage of making money, then yes!

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
I'm 17 and have been learning coding for just over a year now (see my first post) but recently came across copywriting that I think I'd be far better off learning and dedicating my time to to ultimately use as a profitable skill.
Watch out for shiny object syndrome.

Coding is a great skill. Copywriting can also be that.

But you don't need to be great at everything.

Pick one thing and stick to it.

If you've already been coding for one year, I say don't switch now.

Kaan Gullu

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 4, 2022

If you've already been coding for one year, I say don't switch now

If you've already been coding for one year, I say don't switch now.
Yeah I definitely see what you mean. I think I'll introduce myself with the basics of copywriting and see how it goes for the first couple of weeks before making the decision. I'll update you if you don't mind.

Kaan Gullu

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 4, 2022
If you're already good at writing entertaining shit then just go for it. You don't need to learn anything. Just start applying for copywriting gigs.

Most copywriters I've seen so far would be better off calling themselves "copypasters" because they all seem to regurgitate the same crap they read from X famous copywriting book or course. I know zero famous copywriters and took zero courses and I'm doing pretty good. I did, however, have a lot of business knowledge from my past successes and failures, and seeing as you're 17, I doubt you could say the same. Nevertheless, getting your hands dirty is the way to go.I
I think I'll just introduce myself to the basics and if I feel its right go straight into it and see what happens from there.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Hey guys,

I'm 17 and have been learning coding for just over a year now (see my first post) but recently came across copywriting that I think I'd be far better off learning and dedicating my time to to ultimately use as a profitable skill. As far as I understand, copywriting is essentially writing out text in a way that sells or advertises well. I think I'd be better suited for this as writing in a verbose tone has always been a pretty great talent of mine. I excel in these types of subjects at school. Should I build on this talent and dedicate myself to getting skilled in copywriting? Thank you for any responses or comments.
Here's an interesting letter from Gary Halbert that made me think about you @kgullu - what do you think?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I had no idea who Gary Halbert was before opening this letter a few minutes ago to read a few paragraphs... And I found it pretty boring right from the start.
Well, just a guy who used to make millions in a single month... I guess being an ignoramus must be a virtue nowadays.

Gary Halbert is considered by many to be the best copywriter of all time.

Just because you can get clients, and write copy for them, some of which does well, doesn't mean you're great. Believe me, you're VERY far from a pro if that's your attitude. It's not hard to be average, all you have to do is not be a retard honestly.

You make $10K/mo writing copy... so what? That's still pennies...

But the whole point here is that it's not about the copy. Copy does shit. It's about what you're selling, and how (positioning). That's what Gary means by the BIG IDEA. Most "copywriters" these days have NO IDEA about positioning. NONE. ZERO.

Because they're charging their dumb clients, who have no idea what copywriting even is, just for writing words to sell an offer that's GIVEN to them by the client. None of the greats did that. They told the client what the offer should be... they changed the offer, they changed the positioning. Most copywriters these days do none of that.

Oh, here's a dildo. Write some copy for me to sell it.

Urghhh it uses RotateX technology to vibrate giving you the best orgasms, and ummm it's big and purple, and yummy, you almost want to lick it, and just in case you do, it tastes like strawberry.

Jeez Louise...

Here you go boss.

:D love the $10K

*facepalm* (and that dildo sells, most often, NOT because of the copy, but IN SPITE of it...)

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
Well, just a guy who used to make millions in a single month... I guess being an ignoramus must be a virtue nowadays.

Gary Halbert is considered by many to be the best copywriter of all time.

Just because you can get clients, and write copy for them, some of which does well, doesn't mean you're great. Believe me, you're VERY far from a pro if that's your attitude. It's not hard to be average, all you have to do is not be a retard honestly.

You make $10K/mo writing copy... so what? That's still pennies...

But the whole point here is that it's not about the copy. Copy does shit. It's about what you're selling, and how (positioning). That's what Gary means by the BIG IDEA. Most "copywriters" these days have NO IDEA about positioning. NONE. ZERO.

Because they're charging their dumb clients, who have no idea what copywriting even is, just for writing words to sell an offer that's GIVEN to them by the client. None of the greats did that. They told the client what the offer should be... they changed the offer, they changed the positioning. Most copywriters these days do none of that.

Oh, here's a dildo. Write some copy for me to sell it.

Urghhh it uses RotateX technology to vibrate giving you the best orgasms, and ummm it's big and purple, and yummy, you almost want to lick it, and just in case you do, it tastes like strawberry.

Jeez Louise...

Here you go boss.

:D love the $10K

*facepalm* (and that dildo sells, most often, NOT because of the copy, but IN SPITE of it...)

Lol, calm down nerd. You sound like I F*cked your wife or something.

I don't care how much money he made. All I said was that I found it boring.

You mad?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Your angry little rant filled with false assumptions about me and my work says otherwise.

So I'll rephrase my question: Why are you mad?
I already told you I’m not mad?

As for “false assumptions” it’s simply impossible to be a great copywriter without having studied past masters. It’s like telling me you’re a great brain surgeon without ever having gone through med school.

There is no single great copywriter, and I will repeat this, not a single one, who hasn’t EXTENSIVELY studied the masters. Maybe not read their books, but they’ve studied their ads & campaigns. Go ahead and try to name a single one who hasnt done this.

Jay Abraham studies extensively Caples, Hopkins, Harvey Brody, and so on.

Dan Kennedy studied extensively under Halbert, as did John Carlton and Doberman Dan.

Halbert himself learned from Brody, Hopkins, Caples, Schwartz and so on.

Drayton Bird learned from all of them, on this orher side of the ocean. And I can go on and on and on…

There is not a single pro copywriter in this world who hasn’t studied the masters. And the explanation for that is simple…

Without studying the masters, you have no idea what makes a business work or not.

You can guess, and throw darts at a wall, but there’s a giant difference between that and knowledge. Experience only gives you so much, to be a pro you need to assimilate the experience of many others.

Being able to make money isn’t proof of being a pro. It has very little to do with it. There’s all sorts of people who make millions with very little know-how and in-depth understanding. They just stumbled across the right thing. It happens. But it’s better to learn to do it predictably, and understand what makes a promotion work vs another.

What Halbert was telling you above is probably the most important thing. You need a Big Idea behind the promotion that truly stands out, get people excited, and ready to pull out their wallets. Without that, it doesn’t matter how great your copy is… in fact, if you have a great Big Idea even bad copy will sell well.

You have no way of knowing these things without understanding the history of direct response, sorry pal.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
I already told you I’m not mad?

As for “false assumptions” it’s simply impossible to be a great copywriter without having studied past masters. It’s like telling me you’re a great brain surgeon without ever having gone through med school.

There is no single great copywriter, and I will repeat this, not a single one, who hasn’t EXTENSIVELY studied the masters.
Maybe not read their books, but they’ve studied their ads & campaigns. Go ahead and try to name a single one who hasnt done this.

Jay Abraham studies extensively Caples, Hopkins, Harvey Brody, and so on.

Dan Kennedy studied extensively under Halbert, as did John Carlton and Doberman Dan.

Halbert himself learned from Brody, Hopkins, Caples, Schwartz and so on.

Drayton Bird learned from all of them, on this orher side of the ocean. And I can go on and on and on…

There is not a single pro copywriter in this world who hasn’t studied the masters. And the explanation for that is simple…

Without studying the masters, you have no idea what makes a business work or not.

You can guess, and throw darts at a wall, but there’s a giant difference between that and knowledge. Experience only gives you so much, to be a pro you need to assimilate the experience of many others.

Being able to make money isn’t proof of being a pro. It has very little to do with it. There’s all sorts of people who make millions with very little know-how and in-depth understanding. They just stumbled across the right thing. It happens. But it’s better to learn to do it predictably, and understand what makes a promotion work vs another.

What Halbert was telling you above is probably the most important thing. You need a Big Idea behind the promotion that truly stands out, get people excited, and ready to pull out their wallets. Without that, it doesn’t matter how great your copy is… in fact, if you have a great Big Idea even bad copy will sell well.

You have no way of knowing these things without understanding the history of direct response, sorry pal.

Are you aware of how closed-minded you are?

Following your flawless logic, how did the "masters" become masters if they had no masters before them to "assimilate"?

Also, comparing brain surgery to copywriting is the dumbest shit I read today.

Copywriting is writing entertaining words to influence someone to make a decision.

Brain surgery is all about precision, facts, and procedures.

And now, I'll have to take back my words:

You're not just a nerd. You're a silly nerd.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
LOOOOOOL! This is so sad it’s funny :rofl:

Following your flawless logic, how did the "masters" become masters if they had no masters before them to "assimilate"?
By looking at those that came before them. Marketing is a relatively new field, came around in the 1800s and 1900s.

The first ones did a lot of experimenting with customer money. They looked at other ones who were successful. And over time, principles and practices emerged that can be studied and learned from. What worked became codified.

Those that we call “masters” are often not the early experimenters, but the second, and third waves that stood on the shoulders of giants so to speak and had a lot more data to learn from.

And by the way, the first brain surgeon did the same. Experimented, some people died, others lived, over time principles developed and we learned what works and what doesn’t. It took time. The first brain surgeon was significantly worse than a brain surgeon today.

Copywriting is writing entertaining words to influence someone to make a decision.

Copywriting is writing words that get people to give you their money. There is much more to it than words being entertaining, and in fact, in most cases they’re not.

As I said though, much more important than the words you use is the positioning and the idea behind the campaign. That governs the results much more than the words you use. Better words can lead to +10 to 30%. Better positioning, a better offer, a better idea behind the campaign can lead to +30-50x.

As I said, if you think you’re a pro without having studied the masters, you’re wrong buddy. To prove it to yourself, just try creating and selling your own product from scratch. Delusions will evaporate very soon, I promise.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
As I said, if you think you’re a pro without having studied the masters, you’re wrong buddy. To prove it to yourself, just try creating and selling your own product from scratch. Delusions will evaporate very soon, I promise.

Why would I need to create my own product when I'm a copywriter?

And I never implied I'm a pro or gave myself any of the labels you get off to. I just don't give a F*ck about the "master" copywriters you seem to worship. Apparently, this made me a blasphemous boogeyman in your eyes.

My clients are making money. I'm making money. Hell, numerous customers of my clients have posted screenshots on social media of the emails they got from me saying that they normally don't care for promo emails but can't wait to receive the next one and that they'd never seen anything like them before.

And yet, you're sitting here telling me that it's impossible that I'm a great copywriter because I'm not a nerd like you.

A nerd who's probably read 20+ books on copywriting, emulated all of the copy styles from the "masters", and yet is giving away all of his courses for "100% FREE" in the forum in a desperate attempt to build up his email list.

I'm so glad I'm not an insecure con man like you, lol.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
giving away all of his courses for "100% FREE" in the forum in a desperate attempt to build up his email list.
Dude… there is no email list. I’ve already built up my email lists, and sold many of those products, now I’m literarily giving them away for free.

Why would I need to create my own product when I'm a copywriter?
Because otherwise you won’t understand the causes of success. When selling other people’s products, if they picked the right product, if they already have a brand in place, if they already have 30 testimonials, and so on, then your copy is just the cherry on the cake… not that significant in terms of what’s causing them success.

Also, remember that customers are not a good judge for copy. Most of them know even less than you about it. And customers even less than that. Who cares if they enjoy it? Only question is if they’re pulling out their wallets and what’s making them pull out their wallets.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
Also, remember that customers are not a good judge for copy. Most of them know even less than you about it. And customers even less than that. Who cares if they enjoy it? Only question is if they’re pulling out their wallets and what’s making them pull out their wallets.

Interesting coming from the guy who said just a little while ago that "Sales are overrated. Anyone can help a business make more sales. What's important is building up the brand name with quality content."

It seems you just like to argue for the sake of arguing even if that means contradicting yourself.

And just for the record, all of my clients are making more money since I began working with them. And we have plenty of ways to track and attribute my contribution to that upward trend.

Some went from bleeding money and doubting their prospects to earning a profit and loving me for making it possible for them to take their wives on vacation, effectively saving their marriage.

I'm really disappointed I wasted my time replying to you, you sad little man.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
Here’s a challenge. I have a project for you. Write copy for it, and I will pay you $10K if you’re successful but I’m sharing your results publically. Interested? ;)

lol

Screenshot_70.jpgScreenshot_72.jpgScreenshot_71.jpg

$456,993.00 in 2 months for a business that was making zero with email marketing even though they were running campaigns. Although faced with skepticism, I've completely transformed their brand image.

We also have data that MOST of the customers who open our emails actually end up buying from the physical stores my client has. So the actual untracked sales are at least double.

This is from just ONE of my clients and only email marketing.

In just 1 year as a copywriter, I've written copy for every advertising medium you can think of, including TV.

And I'm barely even trying. I'm way more focused on enjoying life and competing in my hobby while doing all of this on the side.

If I made copywriting my #1 goal in life, you can bet your receding hairline I'd become the best there ever was. I've done plenty of "impossible" things in my life and this one is not even on that scale. And I'd still do it without having read any of the masters you look up to. But that's not something I want at the moment.

And in regards to helping you with your con artist "projects" - only in your dreams, son.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
So you cucked out. Good one chicken!

View: https://youtu.be/iLwAjOGQcHo

Looks like you just finished copywriting kindergarten... some abysmal conversion rates right there by the looks of it. Making $400K in e-commerce isn't hard (especially when working with a huge business like the one above... EZ PZ). Let's talk about bottom line numbers. And preferably with a client you help start from scratch. I've had STUDENTS who made $1M starting from scratch. So you've got some catching up to do kiddo.

Lolz.

It's funny because you just keep showing me you're a fraud. You're talking shit about conversion rates without knowing anything about the client or the audience.

If you were such an expert and "master" as you shill yourself to be, you would have known there are way too many variables for you to simply judge from a picture.

Also, the above IS from scratch. They were earning NOTHING from email.

Show me case studies of your students and their clients.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Also, the above IS from scratch. They were earning NOTHING from email.
:rofl: - yep, that's why they had a physical location, because it's from scratch my a$$.

Opening up a new marketing channel when you've got others working isn't the biggest challenge, especially for a strong, established organization.

When I say from scratch, I literarily mean with nothing. No prior business, no prior market, no NOTHING.
Show me case studies of your students and their clients.
Head to my personal website, and you'll find them. You can find the video of a guy who used a lot of my stuff to scale to $1M+ there. You can find results of $500K+ I've obtained for a single client by just doing a few tweaks. Join my discord group, check my course there under #paid-products, and you'll find others. I've got no reason to prove myself to you. YOU are the one desperately trying to validate yourself.

I've already made my points to you and I consider this discussion finished. Go on in your ignorance.

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
I've got no reason to prove myself to you. YOU are the one desperately trying to validate yourself.

I've already made my points to you and I consider this discussion finished. Go on in your ignorance.

You have ALL the reasons to prove yourself because you're a fraud and scamming people on the forum for years. I'm not clicking on your dreadful site and giving you traffic.

Yeah, I got your point. You took offense that I found your life-long idols boring to read which summoned the keyboard warrior in you.

Because where else would someone like you be able to talk in such a brave manner?

[removed by a mod]

I could smell the estrogen from here.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
Really? If I'm a fraud and I'm scamming people for years, where are all the people I've scammed? Nobody who paid me money ever said they were scammed. And this forum is quite a tightly knit community, if I was a scammer, at least SOMEONE would say something, wouldn't they? And believe me, I've interacted personally with over 500 people from here, many of whom have bought stuff from me.

Says the guy hiding behind a keyboard? :rofl:

From now on, talk to me ONLY after you get your testosterone levels tested. I'll pay you $10K if you post your results here.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
Dude, you're the guy who is afraid his wife will cheat on him, and YOU'RE talking about testosterone. I'm dying... :rofl:

But I might post my results, and then when you refuse to pay me, chase you for that money in court, which I would do, if only you weren't hiding behind a fake name.
LOL! I'm waiting

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
So let me see if I've got this right... you're the one literarily hiding behind a keyboard and a fake name, and I'm the one whose name and everything else is public, and have no problems showing my face and taking you to skool here, but you think I'm the one with a testosterone problem? Really? :rofl:

Test. Results.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
As a sponsor of this forum, I've elected to delete my posts here as they derail the thread, and are probably upsetting for the OP.
Hey guys,

Copywriting doesn't have to be "verbose" -> usually straight-talking copy tends to outperform verbose copy. Copy that is aimed at getting a result out of people is different than copy aimed at brand-building for gigantic organisations.

Copy or coding, either is a high-value skill though. However, please don't be deceived, in that neither coding nor copy are a business, and neither are enough to run a profitable business. Depending upon who you work with writing copy, you'll only do a small part of what makes a business successful. Which is why I encouraged you to read the copy greats, like Halbert. You'll get to understand much more about what makes for a strong business and how to create success in a predictable fashion (or as close to it as possible).

Is sales what comes first for a business? Maybe, but I do think copywriters tend to think of sales as a one-off event rather than a multiple-touch process. For most businesses, it takes multiple touches to convert a person into a paying customer. Which means that there is no trick to the sale... just multiple contacts and persistence. Whereas copywriters tend to think in terms of sales letters... mail this text, and get buyers.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.