• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Should I Innovate? Or Model What's Working?

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by Robert Hull, Nov 26, 2018.

Tags:

When starting out, do you model what's already working? Or innovate?

1. Model what's already working

25.0%
  2. Innovate

25.0%
  3. A mixture of both

50.0%
  1. Robert Hull

Robert Hull Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $197
    Hey everyone

I'm looking to change my business model, and I wonder if I could ask you your opinion.

For more than 10 years I've been in a niche that's blazing a new trail, with no competitors, and I've managed to only earn enough to pay the bills and save up some change.

Now I'm looking to change up my business model, and go into a completely different niche, one where I will have competitors I can model and learn from.

My question is, when starting out, should I model what's working? Or should I innovate right out the gate?

I was all ready to start innovating, until I came across Russel Brunson's funnel hacking content, and it made sense to me: when you're starting out, find someone successful and model (a euphemism for "copy") what they're doing. Once you've got the cashflow, with your bills paid for, THEN you can look into throwing money into innovating and blazing a new trail.

My only gripe with Russel Brunson's funnel hacking, is that I'm not really providing any value to anybody. I'm just using working sales tactics to convince people to buy my sh**t. I'll do my best to make sure my sh**t is as helpful to my customers as possible, but the focus will be on the sales funnel doing the selling, rather than on having a great product that my customers rave to their friends about.

It just seems compelling that if I can find a successful competitor who is already making money, I can simply "model" their ads, throw a similar line of products in there, and I'll be making some decent money, with which I can later start to innovate and blaze a trail.

If I innovate and blaze a trail from the get-go, it would require more of an upfront investment, more time spent on research, and will involve more risk. But I do understand that through innovation, the potential for long-term growth and success are much greater.

Thanks in advance for your input :p

2. DVU

DVU In Progress Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,780
    It should just revolve whether you are helping people or not.

If you had a cure for cancer you would sure as hell want to get every tactic to convince people to buy.

So you can help.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.