The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shark tank is back!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Thanks for the reminder. Just set the TIVO.

Autonomust

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
May 27, 2011
Northeast PA
Finally its back! This is one of those shows that gets my brain going and yes piotrkrzyzek this show is worthwhile and you may learn a few things from it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
I've never seen the show but I've seen small snippets, is it really worth while or is it just an overhyped reality BS show?

When I wanna watch something, I watch this series instead of movies because of what I may learn. I think it's definitely worth watching as the importance of what we're trying to accomplish comes out from time to time. Definitely worth watching for Kevin O'Leary! Make money your army!

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
Kevin O'Leary rules.

he's arrogant, but he tells the truth how it is.. harsh
I watch both dragon's den from canada and shark tank.

I would not submit my projects because they take way too much equity unless you already have tons of sales, but it's good business lessons.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
The first guy that went last night with the water bottles had one of those ideas where you say "Damn! Why didn't i think of that!". Playing sports my whole life, one thing that always frustrated me was trying to clean out my water bottle, especially if I had a protein drink in it.

What a Great idea and what a great decision by choosing Cuban. And for only 8% stake in the Company. He's well on his way to the fastlane.

Autonomust

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
May 27, 2011
Northeast PA
The first guy that went last night with the water bottles had one of those ideas where you say "Damn! Why didn't i think of that!". Playing sports my whole life, one thing that always frustrated me was trying to clean out my water bottle, especially if I had a protein drink in it.

What a Great idea and what a great decision by choosing Cuban. And for only 8% stake in the Company. He's well on his way to the fastlane.

Funny how most things are in front of our faces and we don't realize it until somebody else does it XD.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
Yes I love this show, I also follow dragons den , but the american its way better

just dont know about the scripted nature of this "reality shows"...

but anyway , a great show and i love the negotiations ;)

Robre

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't forget Dragon's Den. The original show that Shark Tank's own Robert and Kevin started in Canada.

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
Don't forget Dragon's Den. The original show that Shark Tank's own Robert and Kevin started in Canada.

I believe it started in Japan. They had a show called "Money Tigers" that had I believe 16 investors at once :O It then branched off to the UK (which I think is more brutal) and then to Canada. Lots of respect for Robert and Kevin for the positions they are in. There's a lot more variations to the show but I can't seem to find the others such as Ireland's version.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I love this show. I wish there were more shows that you could actually learn some good info and lessons like this one. If so I would watch more tv.

I would like to eventually build a business specifically for that show just for the opportunity to work with these guys as I think the knowledge and conections would be priceless. Plus I think it would be a great experience.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
I love the VIP guy, that got all the "sharks" fighting for is idea...

the implementation of a celeb was also a great idea for the equation.

solid big ROI

like I read in some other post, indeed selling status is a biz that will never go out of style, and will always be a great investment when talking about the actual numbers :)

Gettin it fast laned, with an IT support its a great idea :)

Primzi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2011
Ljubljana, Slovenia
And where could we watch this show in case we are not residents of the USA? I would like to see the previous seasons as well.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I think the ladies who had the funeral website took the deal to the wrong place. I think that biz would have been best marketed in Silicon valley. Their VCs are alot more understanding of websites that havent figured out their monetization strategy yet. They also are arguably the best at figuring how to monetize as well.

As far as the sharks go I think Robert would be one of the best to partner with. He routinely gives out the best deals and seems like he would be the best to work with. He also has a great success story.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I think the ladies who had the funeral website had one of the lamest, unprotectable, unmonetized, copyable ideas on the episode. I have read business concepts on this forum that are 100x as scaleable, 100x as unique, and 100x as protectable as what those gals presented. They deserved to get laughed off the show. They only slipped past the screeners in order to create some drama so that the Shark Tank would have someone to embarrass for ratings.

The guy with the VIP club business was solid. His business is going to do well with these guys. Great concept.

The guy with the water bottle was a fool to take Mark Cuban at 8% vs. the other guy at 5% for the same $60k. I am glad that guy took his (lower) offer off the table before Cuban responded. In fact, I think the best offer there was $100k for .50 per bottle sold (just patent the idea and then raise the cost per unit by .50 = free $100k in capital).

The show was awesome, and a great mental break.

Maestro

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 20, 2011
Yes, it's a great show if you just want to kick back and still learn something.

Even the contestans who are up and running with the patents in place, but don't get a deal will get great exposure/advertisement.

pro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 5, 2011
Mum's Basement
In fact, I think the best offer there was $100k for .50 per bottle sold (just patent the idea and then raise the cost per unit by .50 = free $100k in capital).

Disagree. He sold 750k units = $375k royalties just by replicating historical volume--not bad for a $60k investment.

Mark got a good deal.

He's not that smart for taking any cash at all. $60k is easy credit card/debt financing

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
I think the ladies who had the funeral website had one of the lamest, unprotectable, unmonetized, copyable ideas on the episode. I have read business concepts on this forum that are 100x as scaleable, 100x as unique, and 100x as protectable as what those gals presented. They deserved to get laughed off the show. They only slipped past the screeners in order to create some drama so that the Shark Tank would have someone to embarrass for ratings.

The guy with the VIP club business was solid. His business is going to do well with these guys. Great concept.

The guy with the water bottle was a fool to take Mark Cuban at 8% vs. the other guy at 5% for the same $60k. I am glad that guy took his (lower) offer off the table before Cuban responded. In fact, I think the best offer there was $100k for .50 per bottle sold (just patent the idea and then raise the cost per unit by .50 = free $100k in capital).

The show was awesome, and a great mental break.

Exactly what i thought.... He should of taken the no equity deal, keep control and raise prices a bit.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Disagree. He sold 750k units = $375k royalties just by replicating historical volume--not bad for a $60k investment.

Mark got a good deal.

He's not that smart for taking any cash at all. $60k is easy credit card/debt financing

He could easily went down to 35 cents, he even asked him to negotiate with him.

He was selling his bottles for 5 dollars each.... That is selling himself short, with a solid marketing hook he could get 10-15 dollars easily.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
He could easily went down to 35 cents, he even asked him to negotiate with him.

He was selling his bottles for 5 dollars each.... That is selling himself short, with a solid marketing hook he could get 10-15 dollars easily.

I think this would have been a solid move. I also think he was a fool for turning down Roberts deal. I know why he wanted to work with Cuban because of his sports team etc but I think Robert would have had plenty of connections to get the job done just as well if not better and for less equity.

In regards to the womens funneral idea I think the only route would have been to get an exclusive deal with the insurance company, lead generation model for funeral homes, or become your own funeral insurance company. If they had 70k or 700k users then they could have made a something happen. Like the sharks said they approached them too early.

Wuping

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 6, 2012
Europe
So glad I discovered this thread! Here in Denmark (Europe) we've got nothing like that. Great great show, and it's funny to hear other very successful entrepreneurs talk about scale, leverage etc. One of the few shows, that's actually worth watching! How often do they air? Once a week?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Mark got a good deal.

He didn't sell 750k units. He sold $750k in top line revenue... 125k units(and that's assuming you believe it because everyone... EVERYONE exaggerates their sales figures to the high side).

He was offered $100k for zero equity and a $.50 per future units sold commission.

He could have
A. raised his selling price to offset, and essentially banked $100k for nothing. His sell cost is too low anyway. Retailers need a 50% margin. $11.99 retail means the dealer cost could be $6.00 and he's currently charging $5.00
B. negotiated down the commission to .25 per bottle
C. exempted the first 150k units sold annually
D. Taken this offer at face value if he really needed the cash

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!