The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shark Tank [American Version of Dragon's Den]

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca
Just a heads up, it premieres Sunday at 9 pm on ABC.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_8sLDf6lYQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ABCs Shark Tank Will Your Idea Make the Cut?[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGZVVN5VfVs&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ABCs Shark Tank Pitching Pie[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkLXyFyWeuk&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - The Latest in Bluetooth Technology on ABCs Shark Tank[/ame]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Just set my DVR, thanks! lol I loved the reaction of the VC's when the entrepreneur mentioned the surgical procedure you would require in order to buy his product hahah

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Just finished watching the show- An absolute incredible show.

A big lesson that refreshed in my mind was- An idea is worth nothing, until it is put into action.

What are some things you learned or reminded yourself from watching?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I was interested in Kevin O’Leary labeling the other guys as pigs for slaughter. I thought O’Leary was just frustrated the guys wouldn't give him their company for a pittance. Interesting psychology being played out, highly edited, of course.

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Ooo yes definitely the shark was only interested in the $$$$$$ of the business. The two partners were a little greedy though. I would love to see what would happen behind closed doors with cameras off. (What happens in real life) I think they would of been told to look for investors somewhere else immediately. But as any TV show, it is cut and edited to appeal to your average TV viewer.

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca
And here's what Mark Cuban had to say (via Twitter): "Enjoyed @sharktank. Those guys at end were smart. If you net 500k, why would you give up 10cpt for 250k. but if you make 500k, why ask ? "

hawaiiloans

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Oct 6, 2007
Las Vegas
Very interesting show. I liked the middle guy's talk to the marine about how his money is his soldiers.

Something about "my money are my soldiers, they go out to war and bring back prisoners" Ruthless but true saying.

What would a company like the last two value at (the hunks one not the foxes one)?

Phone guy creeped me out.

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
The producers are looking for people to be on their show. Here is the link.

Shark Tank - Casting - ABC.com

I thought this was interesting from the website. I guess if you dont care who see's your idea or concept, then you should go for it. However this part would make me nervous.

You understand that your email submission is not confidential nor submitted in confidence or trust and no confidential or fiduciary relationship is intended or created by making an email submission. You understand that the Shark Tank Entities are diversified companies who may possess or come to possess information similar or identical to information contained in your email submission, and you agree that any such similarity or identity shall not give rise to any claim or entitlement, whether for compensation, credit or otherwise. By making an email submission, you hereby release the Shark Tank Entities and their respective directors, officers, shareholders, employees, and licensees from any and all claims relating to your email submission, including without limitation arising from the risk of misdirection or misdelivery of your email.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
That seems to be a standard legal statement to reduce their liability; however, I do understand the concerns. It seemed like most of the people on the show already had established businesses that they were trying to expand. In other words, their intentions were already publicly known. Then again, the guy with the BORG like phone apparatus (Star Trek reference) may be protective of his idea. I would bet that despite his rejection by the "sharks", that someone (legitimate or not) will approach him and try to get rights to it.

I share your apprehension about submitting ideas, but it seems like the consensus here is that ideas alone are not very valuable. Most investors/ developers aren't interested in a project even if a person is passionate about it. They want to see implementation of the idea and proof that it profitable. Thanks for pointing out the clauses of the contract.

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca
I thought this was interesting from the website. I guess if you dont care who see's your idea or concept, then you should go for it. However this part would make me nervous.

You understand that your email submission is not confidential nor submitted in confidence or trust and no confidential or fiduciary relationship is intended or created by making an email submission. You understand that the Shark Tank Entities are diversified companies who may possess or come to possess information similar or identical to information contained in your email submission, and you agree that any such similarity or identity shall not give rise to any claim or entitlement, whether for compensation, credit or otherwise. By making an email submission, you hereby release the Shark Tank Entities and their respective directors, officers, shareholders, employees, and licensees from any and all claims relating to your email submission, including without limitation arising from the risk of misdirection or misdelivery of your email.

It's no different than you would expect from any VC. Want to know the quickest way to ensure you have no chances of getting funded? Insist on a VC signing an NDA.

Again, Sparlin has hit the nail on the head. Ideas are useless. That is something that a lot of people don't understand (or choose to ignore). They choose to keep their ideas a secret, for fear that someone should copy them. Oftentimes, people would be much better served to openly discuss their ideas with people. Perhaps it's just me, but at the end of the day, I'd rather have had input from MANY intelligent people of varied backgrounds than mistakenly believing that I can do it all myself.

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
It's no different than you would expect from any VC. Want to know the quickest way to ensure you have no chances of getting funded? Insist on a VC signing an NDA.

Again, Sparlin has hit the nail on the head. Ideas are useless. That is something that a lot of people don't understand (or choose to ignore). They choose to keep their ideas a secret, for fear that someone should copy them. Oftentimes, people would be much better served to openly discuss their ideas with people. Perhaps it's just me, but at the end of the day, I'd rather have had input from MANY intelligent people of varied backgrounds than mistakenly believing that I can do it all myself.

I would dispute your assertion that ideas are useless. If they were truly useless people would not spend millions of dollars protecting them. However I would contend that without action they are unrealized or wasted. the same way that action for actions sake with no focus or "idea" is wasted. Ideas are a vital part of the equation, not the only part.
The point I was trying to make is that if you had what you think is a viable business or product would you submit it to an email address that admittedly anyone can look at, that can be passed on to anyone else, on purpose or by misatke and potentially stolen by anyone else with no recourse. if you put that in front of any lawyer they would say you were crazy.

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca
I would dispute your assertion that ideas are useless. If they were truly useless people would not spend millions of dollars protecting them. However I would contend that without action they are unrealized or wasted. the same way that action for actions sake with no focus or "idea" is wasted. Ideas are a vital part of the equation, not the only part.
The point I was trying to make is that if you had what you think is a viable business or product would you submit it to an email address that admittedly anyone can look at, that can be passed on to anyone else, on purpose or by misatke and potentially stolen by anyone else with no recourse. if you put that in front of any lawyer they would say you were crazy.

I suppose I should clarify. Ideas are useless to a degree. I would place much more emphasis on the team and people behind those ideas. That's not to say that crappy idea + stellar team = success, but I would argue that those people generally have pretty good ideas :)

It's a Catch-22 though camski. If your idea requires an initial investment, how do you propose to get funding without telling someone (barring you filing a patent)? No VC in their right mind would sign an NDA (Well, maybe they would for Larry and Sergey :D )

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
I suppose I should clarify. Ideas are useless to a degree. I would place much more emphasis on the team and people behind those ideas. That's not to say that crappy idea + stellar team = success, but I would argue that those people generally have pretty good ideas :)

It's a Catch-22 though camski. If your idea requires an initial investment, how do you propose to get funding without telling someone (barring you filing a patent)? No VC in their right mind would sign an NDA (Well, maybe they would for Larry and Sergey :D )

Once again I am not saying dont tell anyone, I just wouldnt send it out to an anonymous email address that admittedly says you have no recourse if someone steals your idea.

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca
Once again I am not saying dont tell anyone, I just wouldnt send it out to an anonymous email address that admittedly says you have no recourse if someone steals your idea.

I do agree with you on that part. It's just a stupid thing to do akin to the email addresses on investor's websites for you to send your business plan.

bizboy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Dec 25, 2007
Florida
Good show, I enjoyed watching it.

There was a show about 3-5 years ago about invention pitches to investors, anyone remember the name of that show?

Adam_C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 2, 2008
uk
Just watched this and I didn't like it.
I know our version isn't the original, but it's the most successful version.
Why does America always turn it into a sob story?

p.s. I did like the fact that people were asking for millions of $ though.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Just watched this and I didn't like it.
I know our version isn't the original, but it's the most successful version.
Why does America always turn it into a sob story?

p.s. I did like the fact that people were asking for millions of $ though.

Not all of the entrepreneurs had "sob stories" and I've seen episodes of Dragon's Den and seen the same thing so I don't know what your point is.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I enjoyed it -- the contestants are pursuing Fastlane opportunities and there is no BS.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What did everyone think about the guys with the "Hunks Hauling Junk?" ... I thought the sharks tried to take advantage of them and they even said so at the end ... when there was blood in the water, the sharks went after it.

The Bluetooth surgery idea was absolutely crazy.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
I liked those guys. They knew their product better than the sharks knew their product so they weren't afraid to stick to their guns even though they got a tempting offer.

As far as the bluetooth guy, he was on another planet. Even the way he talked and conducted himself was awkward and hard to watch...let alone his idea. :shruggie:

I'm excited to see episode 2 tonight. The previews have been showing the sharks in a bidding war over an "extraordinary" idea, so I'm excited to see what it is.

Adam_C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 2, 2008
uk
I liked the point about Mr Tods pies. If 90% of your commercial sales is 1 type of pie, why bother with the 29 other types of pie?

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Great episode again this week, the seatbelt product really got me to think. Did he make a good choice? One of the sharks offered him 500K for his patent while the other one offered him 1 million for the patent. Here is my opinion. I think he made a good choice of not accepting either one. If he would take the deal he sold his rights of ownership and thats it. A one time deal, no royalties, nothing passive, just a single large paycheck. The sharks see the mass potential of this product and want to profit the most. How would you feel if I paid you $10,000 for total ownership of your product and I took it and started making $50,000 a month. I know you would :smx4: because your not the one making $50,000 monthly.

Just my 2 cents.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.