The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sharing Pen Name: Pros & Cons?

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I've been debating on sharing my pen name in my progress thread, and I thought it might make a good topic for discussion.

I know some people say not to share your pen name to avoid having people saturate your specific genre, but I think that people who are going to write for your genre are going to do it whether you share or not. Seems silly to think that some no-name writer, sharing a pen name is going to have any overall effect on the vast amount of writers/authors out there.

Anyone have any experience or resources on the pros and cons of sharing a pen name? Do you do it? Why or why not?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I was debating the same thing, not necessarily to avoid genre saturation but rather because it's easier to be candid about behind-the-scenes stuff (plot development, pricing, process, challenges etc.) when it's not associated publicly with an actual pen name(s) and the associated books. For one thing, aside from the participants on these threads, there are lots of lurkers who only read, as opposed to participate.

I was mulling something else though. Either posting on the INSIDERS section or sharing pen names privately with those willing to do the same. Aside from feedback, we might be able to help each other by posting positive reviews for each other's work.

Hard to say what approach, if any, is the right one.

Last edited:

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
We all must be on the same wave length. I've been debating this too.

The main reason I went with a pen name is to remain anonymous. I'm actually not telling many people in my life about my pen name, at least at first, so I don't have to deal with their comments or critiques. Ya know, the people that are happy in their slowlanes and don't really want to see others succeed if they can't.

But, here no one knows who I am, so that's fairly risk adverse. The INSIDERS forum seems safe enough to post about that, or we form an "off-forum" discussion to discuss those details.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Why don't you create a group? It is an uncommonly used part of this forum, but you can add people by invite only, so you could vet the people who are in the group.

I would set up the group and do some testing to make sure it is secure, but I think that would do what you want.

Groups - Millionaire Start Up Entrepreneur Forum

Just add me to the group, I would love to learn and won't rip y'all off...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Created a group called Fastlane Authors. Have it set so I have to approve members right now, in case those of us that are writing want to be more candid and share information that we may not want the general world to know.

If this looks to be too much of a hassle I'm open to other ideas.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
All I'm writing now is Video Marketing non-fiction.
When I start writing fiction, I plan on using a pen-name but I'm not going to secretive at all about it. My main reason for a pen-name would be to avoid confusion. I don't want any potential Sci-fi/Fantasy fans to search my name and find that I'm a fulltime marketer, I feel it would make my work feel less genuine.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
All I'm writing now is Video Marketing non-fiction.
When I start writing fiction, I plan on using a pen-name but I'm not going to secretive at all about it. My main reason for a pen-name would be to avoid confusion. I don't want any potential Sci-fi/Fantasy fans to search my name and find that I'm a fulltime marketer, I feel it would make my work feel less genuine.

Yeah - I was thinking about that as well. Might be odd for someone to Google your pen name and see your fastlane fiction progress thread or something. Additionally, depending on how much anonymity you want to keep, once you start linking handles together, it's pretty easy for anyone to follow the paper trail back to your true identity.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Might be odd for someone to Google your pen name and see your fastlane fiction progress thread or something.

Exactly my concern. It's a funny thing, too, because for some reason it's considered gauche to write something because you'd like to earn an income from it. Sad to say, but I think readers would be turned off by knowing a profit motive inspired the writing. Isn't that sad?

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Exactly my concern. It's a funny thing, too, because for some reason it's considered gauche to write something because you'd like to earn an income from it. Sad to say, but I think readers would be turned off by knowing a profit motive inspired the writing. Isn't that sad?

Yep, many people think you have to "write for passion," but, even the best writers in the world have been caught saying that they don't do it just for passion (although, many do), they write for specific audiences. If they were just writing for passion, they wouldn't be concerned with output schedules.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yep, many people think you have to "write for passion," but, even the best writers in the world have been caught saying that they don't do it just for passion (although, many do), they write for specific audiences. If they were just writing for passion, they wouldn't be concerned with output schedules.

I don't understand that mentality, but then again, most people I know that think authors shouldn't write for money also think 401ks and 9 to 5 jobs are the way to go.

But that's a point I considered; I'd like to make sure my pen name is isolated from the forums I post about wanting to become a millionaire.

Last edited:

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Good question. I've been debating a slightly different thing--whether to use a pen name at all.

I'm building a pretty good social media presence with my name. I also am a professional freelancer & (obviously) use my name. So I'm releasing this first novella under my name. I think as long as I'm happy with the story, and am not embarrassed by it (as I'd be if i was writing trashy novels....which...I'm definitely not opposed), I'd pick a pen name. But seeing as I already spend so much of my professional life out in the public as "Britni Danielle"...I don't see why I shouldn't try to use that to my advantage when it comes to penning ebooks.

But I WILL totally use a pen name if I just wanna cash in & try my hand at the cheesy/trashy novels. lol.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I use a pen name for a couple of reasons. One, I have non-fiction books published under my real name, as well as having received editing credit on books others have published. Those wouldn't benefit from being associated with someone writing in my fiction genre. In addition, I have an elderly mother who reads Kindle books, and grown children as well as a few grandchildren over 18, none of whom need to read my current fiction. However, I do like the idea of supporting each other. I'll be interested in seeing what develops from this thread.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia

I do understand it.
As with many art forms, the REALLY good stuff comes from a place of emotional truth. Many indie band's "sound" changed when they got signed to a label and they had to appeal to the masses. The moment indie filmmakers start working with hollywood producers the beautiful/genius death of the main character at the end is swapped for a "hollywood ending".

When money gets involved and you're no longer writing with "emotional truth" but with dollar signs in your eyes, artistic integrity is seen as crushed. They like to see people producing content/art, not people with an "agenda".

People falsely attribute bad art to money. "Money's the root of all evil." "Money changes you." etc etc etc blahblahblah. They THINK it's the pursuit of money that changes things, and in a way they're right.

It's really hatred for content that's dumbed down to meet the lowest common denominator. Books and movies and music trying to appeal to "everybody" because that's where the most money is. Betraying your audience so you can make more money selling to a broader audience, that's what people REALLY hate. That's what constitutes a "sell out".

However, people don't understand what it is they hate. They haven't sat down and done the analysis of what they consider a sell out. To them, the evil starts as soon as money gets involved.

I was reminded of this for some reason:
[video=youtube;ruEaANXuFbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruEaANXuFbc[/video]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.