The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Setting up a LLC Corporation Question

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
For those of you that have set up LLC's

Did you make sure to set it up in the state you currently reside or did you choose an out of state LLC due to reasons such as a more tax friendly status

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
If you do business within your state, the LLC needs to be registered there. You can incorporate in Delaware but you will still need to incorporate in all the states that you physically do business to be given the protection of a limited liability company.

Hope this helps.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
even if the business is completely online?

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I also had a question about this. I am currently living in Idaho, and planning on getting an LLC IN IDAHO in the next few weeks. However, I am moving to California in a few months. Will I need to get an LLC in both states? How does this work? I will be shipping orders out of my house so wherever I live is wherever the business operates.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If you do business within your state, the LLC needs to be registered there. You can incorporate in Delaware but you will still need to incorporate in all the states that you physically do business to be given the protection of a limited liability company.

Hope this helps.
Wrong. A foreign corporation or LLC is all you need. You do not need to re-incorporate in your residential state, you do usually however have to register it in the state but that is different from incorporating.

I have one delaware s corp, a Texas LLC and a Delaware LLC. I'm going to move the delaware LLC to Texas so I don't have to file 2 annual reports. It's a pain in the a$$.

Last edited:

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Wrong. A foreign corporation or LLC is all you need. You do not need to re-incorporate in your residential state, you do usually however have to register it in the state but that is different from incorporating.

I have one delaware s corp, a Texas LLC and a Delaware LLC. I'm going to move the delaware LLC to Texas so I don't have to file 2 annual reports. It's a pain in the a$$.

Actually both ways are correct. Both have their pros and cons depending on a persons needs and how they wish to protect themselves and run their business.

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013

What is the reason you chose Texas? Is it simply the low cost? I was not aware that I could register in another state, but my brother could set up his LLC in Texas, instead of AZ and save $40 I think

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Read into your states regulations, I was researching this alot recently, and many sources state regardless of your location of filing the llc, you may still have to pay taxes in the state you are operating out of. So, check your state's regulations before wasting your time trying to avoid taxes, the grass may not be greener on the other side.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Actually both ways are correct. Both have their pros and cons depending on a persons needs and how they wish to protect themselves and run their business.

Y'all also might want to check your state law to determine if you really have a physical presence in the state. I know Texas I may actually end up with no nexus and have to pay no TX sales tax, no annual reporting, no franchise taxing. File my Delaware report and I'm done. Now as soon as I buy an investment property or something under my LLC I'll have a physical presence.

There is a reason the majority of Fortune 500 companies are incorporated in Delaware.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What is the reason you chose Texas? Is it simply the low cost? I was not aware that I could register in another state, but my brother could set up his LLC in Texas, instead of AZ and save $40 I think

I live in Texas. But I had a discussion with my CPA today. If I don't, according to Texas law, have a physical presence here I will keep it in DE for sure.

Mattster

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 3, 2014
I am from Quebec, Canada. Planning to start my own business. I like the idea of LLC corp, but unfortunately the business types are different here. Could anyone tell me what would be similar in QC? So far, I think company (shareholders/actionnaires) is the most similar. Anyone? (Didn't mean to highjack the thread)

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Could anyone tell me what would be similar in QC?

Canada has no LLC equivalent. It's a bit frustrating.

We have Sole Proprietorship (like $100) and Incorporation ($1k+). You can also get an LLC from the USA if that makes sense for you.

I'm not qualified to give advice on what you should choose though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.