The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Services I Overpaid For

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
1) I needed a part replaced for my beater car. Auto shops wanted anywhere from $250 to $500. I had a certified mechanic do it for $40 and $20 in parts. Bonus: He came to me and worked in my driveway, saving me hours of waiting and drop off/pick up time.

2) on multiple occasions I needed something moved locally. Cheapest DIY truck rental would've been around $50, not to mention hauling the stuff up and down stairs and into/off the truck. I paid $25 without lifting a finger.

3) furniture store wanted $80 for delivery of a mattress, to be delivered a few days later, on their schedule while I waited at home. I paid half that and had it delivered the same night, exactly when I wanted it.

My secret?

Craigslist, specifically gig posts. These cost $5, but everytime I've used it, I get text messages from many qualified people ready and willing to do the work at my quoted rates and terms. Plus, I ow have a rolodex to draw from for future work.

In business, I've been on both ends of the deal, like paying almost $2000 for a few hours worth of work, to finding others to do it for less than half, all depending on urgency.

Any enterprising individual can start a gig related service and be a middleman for folks, whether biz or consumer related.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Craigslist, specifically gig posts. These cost $5, but everytime I've used it, I get text messages from many qualified people ready and willing to do the work at my quoted rates and terms. Plus, I ow have a rolodex to draw from for future work.
Have you used TaskRabbit? Would you say CL still serves you better?

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Have you used TaskRabbit? Would you say CL still serves you better?

I tried to use taskrabbit a couple of times. One, it's more expensive, probably double per hour. Two, it's limited to only a few available taskers and their own schedule.

What I like about CL is I set the terms, and then people self select and contact me, so there is no back and forth on those things. Granted, depending on what you need, TR may be a greater fit. The CL people were older and "rougher around the edges" type guys for the most part, but still friendly, respectful, and got the job done.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Great thread.

I just paid a guy $50 to drill a hole in my Quartz countertop. He spent 15 minutes doing it. He had a drill with the right drill bit. Hourlyized, that's $200/hour.

Just goes to show how the use of certain tools and certain skills can increase your power to create income.

And another I'm currently working with...

Moving a pool table.

$300 for a move!
In Australia we have a lot of trade workers getting lung disease from cutting quartz counter tops over a long period so please be wary of the dust released doing this. The disease is similar to asbestosis.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
I've been travelling across country a lot the last few years, and one of my "side hustles" is commercial photography. Specifically restaurant menu photos and real estate.

When I know I'm going to be near a city area for a few weeks or more, I turn on my calendar and let an agency start scheduling gigs for me. It's flat fee but shakes out to an average of +/- $150/hr for my cut. In some areas there's only a few shoots per month, in others it's several a week.

Most commercial photographers consider this dirt cheap and unworthy of doing, because it's advertising and potentially creates hundreds of thousands of dollars in business for the clients. But I enjoy the flexibility and variety, and the end clients (often startups) are extremely grateful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.