Hey guys. My tourist activities business is in hibernation due to the Corona situation so I'm working on a side project that I've wanted to have a go at for a while. I'm aiming to create a worldwide authority site for our (relatively specific) niche, linking up the very best tours and experiences around the world. Whilst that sounds daunting I think there is some wiggle room due to the tourism giants like TripAdvisor and Get Your Guide being unspecific and having completely lost touch with providing value to either travel lovers or tour owners.
I'm currently looking at how to structure the site in terms of SEO before charging head first into content. Once I've done that I'm going to add on something like ten major tourist cities with solid content as a minimal viable product and test it out.
I would really hugely appreciate some advice with a couple of topics though:
Should the url structure work with destinations like this: mysite.com/london/ or mysite.com/destinations/london (using London as an example here)
likewise with experiences: mysite.com/pasta-workshops or mysite.com/experiences/pasta-workshops
Or does that simply depend on whether I want to have a general destination page and general experiences listing page, rather than letting people choose to go straight to a city or specific experience type from the home page? I'm not actually sure what would be best here.
I'd prefer to use the shorter structures and skip the intermediary pages but from reading into this Google bots apparently like a super organised structure to follow.
..
Then looking at Keyword research, what would you guys recommend as the best research tool? I've had some basic experience with adwords and keyword planner (which are great, thanks especially to @Andy Black for all the awesome adwords posts) but I think keyword planner is more of a starting point for SEO keyword research? I've seen SEMrush and Mangools getting talked up. I really like the option in SEMrush's tools to search for question related keywords but their traffic estimates seemed a bit off when I compared against our existing Adwords campaigns.
Cheers!
I'm currently looking at how to structure the site in terms of SEO before charging head first into content. Once I've done that I'm going to add on something like ten major tourist cities with solid content as a minimal viable product and test it out.
I would really hugely appreciate some advice with a couple of topics though:
- Site Structure
- Keyword research
Should the url structure work with destinations like this: mysite.com/london/ or mysite.com/destinations/london (using London as an example here)
likewise with experiences: mysite.com/pasta-workshops or mysite.com/experiences/pasta-workshops
Or does that simply depend on whether I want to have a general destination page and general experiences listing page, rather than letting people choose to go straight to a city or specific experience type from the home page? I'm not actually sure what would be best here.
I'd prefer to use the shorter structures and skip the intermediary pages but from reading into this Google bots apparently like a super organised structure to follow.
..
Then looking at Keyword research, what would you guys recommend as the best research tool? I've had some basic experience with adwords and keyword planner (which are great, thanks especially to @Andy Black for all the awesome adwords posts) but I think keyword planner is more of a starting point for SEO keyword research? I've seen SEMrush and Mangools getting talked up. I really like the option in SEMrush's tools to search for question related keywords but their traffic estimates seemed a bit off when I compared against our existing Adwords campaigns.
Cheers!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
