I run a couple of AV rental businesses. Having to be there myself or pay people to be there for pickups & returns is a hassle so I've been looking into some type of automated locker system. There are commercial products similar to the Amazon parcel lockers but they're not big enough & far heavier duty than what I need not to mention thousands of dollars or even tens of thousands. My pickup/return areas are fairly secure & the equipment is only stored for a few hours on the day of hire/return & has video cameras.
I thought I'd share my first prototype. This is just a standard workshop/stationery cabinet. It was $265. The lock is one you can get from eBay or Ali for about $15. It's called a "cabinet lock" or a "cam lock". The beauty of it is that it's designed to screw straight into a standard key lock. (I had to mod mine slightly because it was sideways). It's digital but not "smart" so I just have to manually reset the code. This is enough to test whether the concept work with Homo Sapiens. If so, I'll invest in a heavy duty smart lock. With the Igloo Home locks a one-time code can be generated from from my booking system via Zapier - nice!
Anyway hope this is helpful. I'll update as I go. Happy to have any feedback too.





www.aliexpress.com
I thought I'd share my first prototype. This is just a standard workshop/stationery cabinet. It was $265. The lock is one you can get from eBay or Ali for about $15. It's called a "cabinet lock" or a "cam lock". The beauty of it is that it's designed to screw straight into a standard key lock. (I had to mod mine slightly because it was sideways). It's digital but not "smart" so I just have to manually reset the code. This is enough to test whether the concept work with Homo Sapiens. If so, I'll invest in a heavy duty smart lock. With the Igloo Home locks a one-time code can be generated from from my booking system via Zapier - nice!
Anyway hope this is helpful. I'll update as I go. Happy to have any feedback too.





12.08US $ |L20/L30mm Electronic Cabinet Lock Press Keypad Password Access Digital Security Cabinet Coded Locker For Access Control System|Electric Lock| - AliExpress
Smarter Shopping, Better Living! Aliexpress.com
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

