The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Self Service Locker Lite Version

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
I run a couple of AV rental businesses. Having to be there myself or pay people to be there for pickups & returns is a hassle so I've been looking into some type of automated locker system. There are commercial products similar to the Amazon parcel lockers but they're not big enough & far heavier duty than what I need not to mention thousands of dollars or even tens of thousands. My pickup/return areas are fairly secure & the equipment is only stored for a few hours on the day of hire/return & has video cameras.

I thought I'd share my first prototype. This is just a standard workshop/stationery cabinet. It was $265. The lock is one you can get from eBay or Ali for about $15. It's called a "cabinet lock" or a "cam lock". The beauty of it is that it's designed to screw straight into a standard key lock. (I had to mod mine slightly because it was sideways). It's digital but not "smart" so I just have to manually reset the code. This is enough to test whether the concept work with Homo Sapiens. If so, I'll invest in a heavy duty smart lock. With the Igloo Home locks a one-time code can be generated from from my booking system via Zapier - nice!

Anyway hope this is helpful. I'll update as I go. Happy to have any feedback too.
1632778462835.png
1632778532247.png
1632778379591.jpeg

1632778566027.jpeg
1632778768750.png

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

woken

Bronze Contributor
I've Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I run a couple of AV rental businesses. Having to be there myself or pay people to be there for pickups & returns is a hassle so I've been looking into some type of automated locker system. There are commercial products similar to the Amazon parcel lockers but they're not big enough & far heavier duty than what I need not to mention thousands of dollars or even tens of thousands. My pickup/return areas are fairly secure & the equipment is only stored for a few hours on the day of hire/return & has video cameras.

I thought I'd share my first prototype. This is just a standard workshop/stationery cabinet. It was $265. The lock is one you can get from eBay or Ali for about $15. It's called a "cabinet lock" or a "cam lock". The beauty of it is that it's designed to screw straight into a standard key lock. (I had to mod mine slightly because it was sideways). It's digital but not "smart" so I just have to manually reset the code. This is enough to test whether the concept work with Homo Sapiens. If so, I'll invest in a heavy duty smart lock. With the Igloo Home locks a one-time code can be generated from from my booking system via Zapier - nice!

Anyway hope this is helpful. I'll update as I go. Happy to have any feedback too.
View attachment 40134
View attachment 40135
View attachment 40133

View attachment 40136
View attachment 40137
Cool!

Assuming you have two clients in the same area on the same day :
How do you plan to separate the items though?

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Cool!

Assuming you have two clients in the same area on the same day :
How do you plan to separate the items though?
Good point. We were just discussing that. For now I'd just put them in the same locker on different shelves & label them well (it's a bit of an honesty system). If the idea works well then I'd get a couple more lockers but they wouldn't have to all be that big. We often hire out projectors or microphones which are quite small. Something like this would do. I'd say at this location more than 3 orders at once would be rare. At our other location in another city we get about 6 orders at a time.
1632836503098.png

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
The new program website is live with a deal from now till the end of October...
MARKETPLACE Freelance University: Solve Every Freelance Problem (Especially on Upwork)
For those who are just seeing this, there are currently a total of 15 live courses and 1...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Fox's Web School helps you learn a specialized skill which you can use to get to Fastlane. It's...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom