The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Seeking help with self publishing my first book

CFLRider

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Oct 27, 2014
Albany, NY
This forum has been great for me since I recently joined. Its given me great motivation to finish my first book. I've learned a ton and I look forward to building some lasting contacts on here.

My question is, I'm almost done with my first book, and I want to self publish it. There is tons of advice on here on how to do it. I could spend hours reading the contributions the members here have posted.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of free hours to invest in reading every single post.

My question is this. I just have a couple more chapters to complete. What should I do next? Like step one. There are tons of companies out there for self publishers, but which one do I use? I where should I start now that I'm almost done writing?

Thank you in advance for helping.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
There are tons of companies out there for self publishers, but which one do I use
IMO, don't use any of these, unless you're talking about basic things like paying for copy editing or a cover-design. Just avoid vanity presses, where they charge you lots of money just to get your book "published."

If you're looking to publish on Amazon, you can do that for free. Just google "publishing on Amazon" or "publish Kindle" or something like that. It's surprisingly simple, and you retain all your rights. All you'll really need is a book, a cover design, and a snappy description.

Good luck!

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
There is tons of advice on here on how to do it. I could spend hours reading the contributions the members here have posted.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of free hours to invest in reading every single post.
You won't make it.

legendfail.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
STEP 1 -
Make a cover
Send it to all your friends per Email/FB/TWitter
Going for pre-sales
Build interest

Step 2
Finish the book and compile it with Calibre - make a .mobi and upload it to KDP or .epub to NOOK, (however if you want to use KDP select you may not publish on any other platform for 3 months - I have heard KDP select is definititely worth it.)

Step 3
Send mail to you mailing list which you GREW (right???) and announce the book
Also at this point you give a free version to everyone who helped you (don't forget to put them in the back of your book)
Don't forget to put a link to your website or author profile, twitter etc. at the beginning and end of your book! (about the author)

If you want to make money with just a few books you have to do massive marketing in the beginning,
if not you are going for quantity and less marketing,
remember weak marketing = weak results

Here's a cheat sheet
http://goo.gl/9fddOS

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
p.s.
Check out what these guys are doing to get reviews in Amazon:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1539114-reviewers-wanted-for-erotic-romance-novel

They are giving free .pdf's in exchange for reviews.
You are going to need reviews, period.
If you built your mailing list in step/phase one you have a pool of reviewers, if not, well try the above.

Remember a launch is NOT a strategy or process.
BUT! Just start! You will get in the swing of things and figure out your own process along the way.

That's why my first bit of advice to new authors is do NOT start with your magnum opus and the book you care the most about.
Make it as SIMPLE as possible because your first book/try is going bomb big time!

Or you are Tim Ferris and busted your way into the Maven's den and went straight for a New York Time's bestseller.
Which one are you/we?

CFLRider

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Oct 27, 2014
Albany, NY
STEP 1 -
Make a cover
Send it to all your friends per Email/FB/TWitter
Going for pre-sales
Build interest

Step 2
Finish the book and compile it with Calibre - make a .mobi and upload it to KDP or .epub to NOOK, (however if you want to use KDP select you may not publish on any other platform for 3 months - I have heard KDP select is definititely worth it.)

Step 3
Send mail to you mailing list which you GREW (right???) and announce the book
Also at this point you give a free version to everyone who helped you (don't forget to put them in the back of your book)
Don't forget to put a link to your website or author profile, twitter etc. at the beginning and end of your book! (about the author)

If you want to make money with just a few books you have to do massive marketing in the beginning,
if not you are going for quantity and less marketing,
remember weak marketing = weak results

Here's a cheat sheet
http://goo.gl/9fddOS
Thank you so much for taking the time. That's exactly what I was looking for. Basically a summary of what to do. I really appreciate it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.