The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sea Freight Shipping Alibaba, Recommendation on methodology?

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
I am increasing my game on alibaba and with that my orders are getting bigger. So it is no longer feasible for me to just pay the supplier and they ship it my air and I get my package. So for those that have been doing sea freight shipping. Did you bother to learn all the terminology and whats good/bad? Like incoterms, FCL, LCL, IPF, EXW etc. You get the point.. Or does a freight forwarder take care of all this?

Also first time I am going away from Paypal and going to try T/T on alibaba.

Just asking for recommendations on what is the most streamline path to get a package to my door from sea freight. I am debating on learning everything now or am I overcomplicating the process and wasting time learning this stuff?

Supplier is asking for what port right now, but there are different types of ports: service, port of entry. Do all ports accept china shipments? Also, have huge fear of hidden fees that are gonna destroy my margins, HMF, MPF..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Sea freight is the way to go if you have large shipments. Your margins will increase with bigger shipments. FCL>LCL>airmail in terms of cost. There is tons of information regarding sea freight on google, and it turns out its not that difficult to understand the basics. The more complicated aspects comes when you have to deal with all the regulations and guidelines (which your freight forwarder/broker should be helping you with).

I've been working with @Rsimmons016 and his company on importing via sea freight over the last couple months for my next shipment.

He specializes in helping new importers understand the mechanics behind shipping via sea freight and has been extremely helpful in answering any and all questions that I presented. I would highly recommend getting in touch with him in regards to sea freight if you are just starting out...

I'm not sure if he is still active on here, but if you cannot get in contact with him, feel free to PM me and I will get you in touch.

Also, read this thread:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ent-heres-what-that-process-looks-like.64468/

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
648%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
You need to know the basic incoterms.
  • FOB - Cost including getting your shipment to the port.
  • EXW - Does not include the cost of delivering your shipment to the port. Add about $350 for small orders. A few hundred more for a full container.
  • FCL - Full Container Load
  • LCL - Less than full container load (so what you'll be getting)
  • Then study this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodal_container
And give them the endpoint, not necessarily the port. For example, I'm in Chicago. I tell them to ship to Chicago, and then they calculate the sea shipping + train shipping to get it here. You don't have to leave your hometown if you're not on the ocean.

Lastly: ask your supplier to recommend a freight forwarder. Ask them for the shipping costs. And then if you want, post those costs here. I or anyone else that imports can take a look and tell you if you're getting a good price. If you are, then you work with that freight forwarder. They should have a partner in your home country that they already work with, so it will make it easier to communicate.

Rsimmons016

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Oct 22, 2013
Miami, FL, U.S.A.
I am increasing my game on alibaba and with that my orders are getting bigger. So it is no longer feasible for me to just pay the supplier and they ship it my air and I get my package. So for those that have been doing sea freight shipping. Did you bother to learn all the terminology and whats good/bad? Like incoterms, FCL, LCL, IPF, EXW etc. You get the point.. Or does a freight forwarder take care of all this?

Also first time I am going away from Paypal and going to try T/T on alibaba.

Just asking for recommendations on what is the most streamline path to get a package to my door from sea freight. I am debating on learning everything now or am I overcomplicating the process and wasting time learning this stuff?

Supplier is asking for what port right now, but there are different types of ports: service, port of entry. Do all ports accept china shipments? Also, have huge fear of hidden fees that are gonna destroy my margins, HMF, MPF..

Hey AbetterlifeNow,

Congrats on the progress with the business. You should definitely educate yourself with the next stage. I have posted in great detail here on what to expect https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ernational-logistics.49044/page-4#post-517067

I would recommend finding a forwarder in the states. When you let your supplier arrange the shipping there will usually be "hidden costs" on the back end. Their partner on this side will have fee's for their services and if your shipment is routed through multiple U.S. cities you will have to pay for the handling of your freight in each city. Typically your supplier won't include any of those charges in the original quote, and as you can imaging these costs can add up quickly. If you find a good forwarder on this side they will be able to quote your for the full picture (excluding customs exam fee's).

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I've been able to help a couple of guys from the forum sort out their shipments and save them time, headaches, and cash.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.