The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Scaling CPG - Execution versus organization

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Knowledgefactry

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 28, 2021
Hello Fastlaners. It’s been 8 months since I’ve been active In this chat and a lot has changed. I went from senior in college with big aspirations, to plotting my rat race escape stuck in a 9-5. I can’t really complain too much though as I found a young startup that suits my personality and keeps me on the cutting edge of tech and Venture capital. Point being, the rat race is tolerable while I learn from many great people around me. It’s truly a conducive environment for an entrepreneurial soul who hasn’t made his jump yet.

My long time gf though isn’t so lucky. She just recently had her FTE with her job she’s been working which she hates more than anything in the world. Lucky for her, she is dating a guy who has read all of the Mj books - I saw this coming and have been preparing for it.

With the blessing of the most important people in her life (mom, close friend, me) she is finally about to quit and go all in on what used to be just a side hustle. She makes custom baked goods, and they’re damn good and beautiful. It’s a special kind of baked good, imagine a cookie shaped like a cupcake, with filling inside (snickerdoodle cookie with apple pie filling, chocolate chip cookie with Nutella filling…).

We’ve been selling at farmers markets around ATX to get pricing feedback and to test flavors. It’s a humble weekend hustle bringing in a few hundred dollars a week. But now she’s serious. The real money is in catering large company events and wedding (she’s already done 4 massive orders).
She’s going all in and bartending on the side. I’ll pour as much money into the business as I can from my job until we’re making enough from it for me to quit. I work sales and I’m the top performer so I make good money for a fresh college grad - more than enough to begin investing into typical small business startup costs.

She’s the ceo, I have a background in finance and sales so I’m interim cfo and head of marketing/sales.

With all of that context out of the way, here’s my point: I am overwhelmed with decision paralysis and I don’t know what to focus my time on since I’m working full time. Question is, at this stage, is it better to focus on getting organized and having infrastructure (getting your numbers right, building a good website, making landing page/building a sales cycle) or just to help her bake and pump out as many of these baked goods as possible…

Side note, I don’t believe this is action faking. We are making real, albeit slow, progress and the demand is there- we sell out at every market we go to and when we run Facebook ads, we can’t keep up with orders and have to turn them off.

Some direction from someone who has scaled a cpg/food business would be great. She’s definitely the visionary and doesn’t need direction. I however do need to see examples to derive inspiration. Also, I want to turn this into a Fastlane business. I believe it’s very, very scalable with a franchise model, while I think she’s more focused on making it a well paying job that she actually enjoys. Pros and cons of both paths would be interesting to hear as well. Thx in advance, love this group.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.