The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Scaling and Automating Specialized IT Consulting

roguehillbilly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Feb 3, 2017
USA
Hey Everyone,

I currently work full-time as a Network Engineer and have begun to pickup some side work (usually for an hourly rate). The work that I do is often technical configuration of network devices (routers, switches, etc). I'm usually able to do this work remotely.

I've had an LLC for about a year and for a while wanted to be a 'MSP'. MSP's usually cover company pc's and do maintenance monthly for a fee. This is a great model, but something I don't like all that much and isn't really in line with my skills.

Recently, I decided I'd rather do the more technical work and specialize in Network Engineering and cloud services. However, I am starting to see problems with scaling this up. With the MSP model, recurring revenue comes in and is sort of justified. With Networking, the network is either up or down. It is often seen as a cost. I am thinking I need some sort of maintenance or retainer agreement. Selling support hours can be tricky because customers will think it's a waste if they aren't using their support hours.

I want to also host cloud applications for companies. Things like quickbooks can be hosted by my company and maintained for a monthly fee.

I guess I'm sort of lost and ranting a bit. Maybe someone has experience in this industry and can help out? My main issues are scaling this up, bringing in new business and defining what services I offer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
I still don't understand your problems. Are you saying the customers are not willing to pay since they see your work as a cost center?

Also Quickbooks already has its own cloud offering, there is little to no incentive for companies to be hosted by you. Going direct with Intuit makes more sense from that point of view.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.