The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Saved up 3 thousand dollars and I don't want to make a mistake. Looking for advice.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Go to the gym and make it a heavy focus in your life. Get some nice clothes and look sharp. Spend time getting better with women and become the guy people know as a player. Your confidence will be through the roof.

Then go kill it in business.

Confidence should come first. You’ll be an unhappy person without a kickass life if you think it will come to you after you’ve made money. A kickass life + money is awesome though if you’re a badass person without the money.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You guys think money helps with girls?

Have you made any money? Are you killing it with the ladies now?

I used to live with my parents, had braces, and had no more than $500 in a bank account, and I got tons of girls by being in shape and being smooth.

I focused on my business and stopped going after girls and made money, moved in to a lake house, and guess what happened?

It didn’t help at all. Girls are attracted to fun attractive guys not money. I don’t give a crap if you say otherwise.

Go to the gym, look sharp, have a cool life and be a fun guy, you’ll get girls. The business is separate. Trust me, I’ve done it myself. Girls will actually think less of you if you think you can flex with your money and status.

It’s a mainstream lie and I’ve found that the people who believe it most don’t have any idea themselves they just get it from popular culture.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City

However, let's break down your budget a little bit.

Car: I'm guessing you need this. Instead of going for some POS $500 beater that will be in and out of the shop every other month, look for historically reliable vehicles (Toyotas, Hondas) that are easy to maintain but have cosmetic issues like hail damage.

Clothes: Don't drop $500 all at once on clothing, especially when you don't already have an established wardrobe. If you're trying to upgrade your clothing, go slow with it. Start with the basics: a pair of jeans or chinos and a shirt or two. Go on /r/malefashionadvice for more information on looking better.

Again, don't drop $500 on a new wardrobe. Nice doesn't have to be expensive. If you hit the gym you can pull off jeans and a v-neck.

Photoshoot: No. If you feel like this will boost your confidence, find an amateur or a friend and slide them a $20 for their time.

I'm not telling you to not spend your money, but if you're strapped for cash do it logically and not emotionally.

And universal advice: delete Facebook, hit the gym, lawyer up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Honey,

I truly believe looking good on tinder for "girls" is a bad investment. First you make money, then you don't even need to look for girls, because they will come to you. Also something else that I have learnt from the movie Scarface when I was a kid: "if you love women more than money, you will not succeed". I don't remember what Tony said exactly, but it was something like that.
H**s can wait. you focus on you
"In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the woman."

Elsa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 8, 2019
I'm 19. Been working during the summer. I have saved up about 3 thousand dollars. However, I've very tempted to spend half of that on a shitty car, another 5 hundred dollars on some clothing (since I have absolutely no wardrobe), and the other thousand on other things I want (such as getting a photoshoot done for my social media, a video camera so that I can start documenting my journey...).
Basically my confidence is down. I don't have decent clothing, I don't have a car, I look like shit, I have a shitty romantic and social life.

At the same time, I'm looking at things in the long run. Perhaps it's best to just keep saving and to spend this money on business ideas to eventually make even more money. Maybe I should just say F*UCK YOU to my confidence for a few more years until I have solid passive income coming my way.

What do y'all think?
Hi,

congratulations on saving about 3K. In my opinion, you do not need the "shitty" car and the stuff to document your journey, and especially not a photoshoot done for your social media. In my humble opinion, these things are not very useful at the moment. However, I do have another opinion when it comes to your clothes. I will not tell you to buy a Gucci belt, but being decently dressed when one is your age, gives you confidence. I also believe that you could upgrade your wardrobe and treat it as if you're celebrating your "saving skills".

Best of luck to you

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
I'm 19. Been working during the summer. I have saved up about 3 thousand dollars. However, I've very tempted to spend half of that on a shitty car, another 5 hundred dollars on some clothing (since I have absolutely no wardrobe), and the other thousand on other things I want (such as getting a photoshoot done for my social media, a video camera so that I can start documenting my journey...).
Basically my confidence is down. I don't have decent clothing, I don't have a car, I look like shit, I have a shitty romantic and social life.

At the same time, I'm looking at things in the long run. Perhaps it's best to just keep saving and to spend this money on business ideas to eventually make even more money. Maybe I should just say F*UCK YOU to my confidence for a few more years until I have solid passive income coming my way.

What do y'all think?

Your sure sound familiar to me at 19.

A few points:

1. What does the new car accomplish? Do you need it for better job opportunities? I can afford a very fancy car, yet I still drive the one from when I was dead broke. No one judges me for it other than saying "Wow you're good at finding deals. Those motors never die."

2. Some jeans and black/dark t-shirts will look fine.

Just focus on having clean well fitting clothes and good hygiene. Be the assertive guy that takes action towards his desires. Take care of yourself instead of pandering to others. That is more valuable to women than trying to impress them.

3. Don't do things to impress women. It is the same as value cheating. Any decent women will smell it a mile off. They are more advanced socially than most young men.

4. You could even get a used camera with a stand. Get good at taking well-lit and positioned photos and you can be the one with a lucrative side hustle. You can also use it to flip things on Craigslist.

Solution:
Get a second job/hustle where you sell things to the public. Use a car to spread your job options out further. Go to the gym and keep good hygiene. Don't worry about rejection and failure. Focus on moving forward and testing each new thesis and its opposite.

The levels go kind of like this:
  • 1. Shit Job - (dish washer, landscaping, roofing, retail etc.) Builds character and humility. Will drive you for bettering yourself.
  • 2. Sales Job - You keep the other job while having no risk in this commission based job. You get lots of business experience in making deals and helping customers relieve their frustration.
  • 3. Side Hustle - Market your skills on your own. You know how to close, now you need to learn how to bring in the business.
  • 4. Business related to a gap in job or side hustle industries. - You've learned the industry from an INSIDERS POV. Now you are using your skills and insights to build a system that attracts and dispenses value.

Don't be the guy who blows money and pea cocks trying to impress women. Put yourself in a position where you can keep taking smart risks while incrementally moving forward. Each step will compound the rest and you'll look back at how you used to be.

PS: Read the sections about hyper reality in Unscripted . You will become much more confident since you are one of the few who aren't playing in a rigged consumerist game.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
put $1000 away in an emergency fund where you cannot get to it
put $1000 in your investment fund for other opportunities

then use the things you have discussed as motivation! ..... take the remaining $1000 and use it to 'make money' .... buy / sell, hustle, etc. ......

from the money you make =
....1/3 goes into emergency fund account (and use that to pay taxes too)
....1/3 goes into investment fund to make more money
....1/3 is yours to invest in yourself however you want (clothes, courses, car, etc.)

want more shit? make more money.

it will motivate you to do more!!

simple.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018

What do y'all think?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think you're asking the wrong question. Instead of trying to figure out how much to spend, figure out a 1-year goal you can achieve and go for that. (since you're on a business forum, pick a business you'd like to get up and running and do that). IF your goal REQUIRES that you spend some money to help you achieve it, then spend the money. If not, don't.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
For my current job, I work from home so no need for a car. Also, school starts in two months so after that I live in residence and parking is too expensive. The reason I'd need a car is for the weekends I come back home, and this two month period during the summer. Perhaps its best to just forget about it.

Agree on your points about women. I'm not trying to impress them. Just trying to better myself.

Thanks for the advice man. Appreciate it. Also, I've already read that section.

Haha you're welcome.

Don't dismiss getting a car too easily. A car can be very useful. You can use it to add leverage to you since you have a farther radius of potential.

Just don't be fancy when you're a young buck. People want fancy cars simply because they are positioned as something they can't have.

Working from home is nice. The only problem is it keeps you in your comfort zone. You'll never be aware of gaps to fill without going into the field. That's why you should get a sales job where you deal with the public.

It exponentially improved my confidence since it gave me an apprenticeship for applying things. The thousands of people I've met with... and hundreds I've closed... have opened so many doors.

Working there has also given the free opportunity to train the junior sales staff informally under me. This means I know how to scale any business. (and I can code web apps from my side hustle days)

The junior people have thanked me for simply showing them what thing to focus on each week. (instead of the company's cram it all down their throat and let them sink or swim and wonder why everyone quits approach.)

Most people there just get sufficiently good at their jobs. There is nothing stopping anyone from picking everyone from sales to logistic's brains. This will save you from having to reinvent the entire wheel.

This place also revealed a massive gap companies are half-assedly filling for their customers. Customers always leave disappointed and beg for it.

Filling it will undercut corporate's fat margins so they don't want to address it. Some day the giants in this industry will be another sad case study like Blockbuster.

For one's social life, just like in entrepreneurship, value attracts value. Focus on being strong, fit and source of pleasure instead of misery. (Unscripted )

Let other guys go chasing everyone around like a horny wiener dog. (BRO-marketer) Others never put themselves out there and wonder why they find no one. (slowlaner) And don't forget the decadent "YOLO" crowd. (sidewalkers)

BTW, what are you studying in school? How's it move you further in tangible terms? What market gap does having the degree help fill? Hope this isn't offensive, but if it is, it's a sign of cognitive dissonance.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
You guys think money helps with girls?

Have you made any money? Are you killing it with the ladies now?

I used to live with my parents, had braces, and had no more than $500 in a bank account, and I got tons of girls by being in shape and being smooth.

I focused on my business and stopped going after girls and made money, moved in to a lake house, and guess what happened?

It didn’t help at all. Girls are attracted to fun attractive guys not money. I don’t give a crap if you say otherwise.

Go to the gym, look sharp, have a cool life and be a fun guy, you’ll get girls. The business is separate. Trust me, I’ve done it myself. Girls will actually think less of you if you think you can flex with your money and status.

It’s a mainstream lie and I’ve found that the people who believe it most don’t have any idea themselves they just get it from popular culture.
No, money definitely matters. I don't care what any of these online dating gurus think they know. It's proven scientifically that women want relationships with men who have access to resources. Sure you can get some a$$ by being goodlooking, in shape and broke... but women will laugh when it comes to having a long term relationship with a guy like that. I've too been in situations where I was broke but still had girls throwing themselves at me, but A) that's anecdotal and B) their interest is purely sexual.. not romantic.

So sure, girls like f---ing guys who are fun and cool, but there are very good reasons as to why they will almost never be willing to get into a relationship with one. Why? If it gets serious, can you really marry this guy and have him support a family? If you marry that 'cool fun broke' guy you'll have kids who are raised on Chef Boyardee and Food Stamps.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOhnJV3eLW0

I have a friend like that. He's cool and good looking.. but broke. Girls will date him casually, but whenever he tries to get serious they're like 'wait... you think we can potentially have a family?' and messages me all heartbroken. It's really ruining his life.

Sure being in shape and being goodlooking helps, but a guy who is goodlooking, in shape and has a good income will be irresistible to girls. Just being goodlooking and in shape and fun... that's all fine and dandy when you're casually dating around and getting laid.. but eventually you're going to meet a girl you really like and want to get serious and she's going to laugh in your face.

There are like a bajillion studies on this. The evidence is incontrovertible.

It's deep-seated in our evolutionary biology. It's the Lover/provider thing. Women want sex with men with indicators of good genes (good looking, in shape) because unconsciously they feel their genetic material is of high quality, and their children will be healthy. But for marriage, they want someone who has access to resources so that their children have a good life.

So ideally what women want is both. Good genetic material, and access to resources.

If you focus on too much of one or the other, you end up in bad situations. If you focus only on money, and not on being in shape and being confident, you'll attract a wife that's constantly cheating on you and F*cking the hot guys she meets. If you focus just on being good looking and in shape, no woman will want to marry you. They'll just want to F*ck and then go back to their husbands. But if you work on all of the above, you'll have your choice of whatever woman you want, and you'll have the option of just being a F*ck buddy or being serious with her.

Just being goodlooking? Yea, you'll attract some hot party girls, but good F*cking luck attracting a beautiful woman that's actually wife material.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQrFBOyDs0

Furthermore, having money boosts your confidence. When you're broke you worry constantly about tomorrow, and it's really hard to be that 'cool fun guy' when your survival is literally at risk.

D

DeletedUser0287

What do y'all think?

Buy an asset.

Something you can use to produce cash. The Camera would be a good idea. All businesses need to be media companies now.

Clothes, just get a few pieces that can be used for any occasion.

Cars suck the money out of yah.

Sell old stuff if you got any to produce more cash.

JByers210

Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Apr 14, 2017
United States
I joined the forum at 18 and can somewhat relate. I'm 20 now.

I won't babble on and on about how much women love fun guys and how working out in jeans makes sense and blah blah blah when in reality you're looking for overall advice on what to do with $3000 saved up and where to go from here and probably also just want encouragement instead of getting more of the nonstop try hard posts we see from some forum members.

I was working at a tire shop delivering wheels 8 hours a day at 18. I had about the same saved up...basically everything I made went into a new ecom products I was selling. The cash flow from my job kept me afloat with food and gas and insurance so I wasn't desperate while trying to get my business off the ground.

I had a car my parents let me use for a year so that does make a difference.

How are you making it to work?
Does your job require a car?

If you're working full time and making at least $8 you should be able to make $1280 a month. Take that X 3 months and you've got close to $7000 saved and can buy a car that isn't a total piece of garbage and will last you for a while. If I'm not missing anything (which I could be).... why not continue to do what you're doing and save?

Why do clothes have to be such a huge expense? If you can't navigate through these type of things on your own you will have a very hard time making it as an entrepreneur.

2018-2019 was a struggle and I failed over and over....never was able to save or make much...

Fast forward to this year.. I've been so busy I've barely been able to keep up with my business. Don't get discouraged...this is part of being an entrepreneur. Read MJ's books if you haven't already.

Edit: Trust the Process ;)

Last edited:

Elsa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 8, 2019
Yea, I feel my best and most confident when I look good. Lately I've been getting two haircuts a month and I feel great. However, each haircut costs about 30 bucks. It's a hard line for me to understand. How much should I focus on long-term versus short-term.
I want a shitty car for the freedom. Taking the bus is so difficult because I carry lots of stuff with me and I waste a lot of time.
The photoshoot is honestly valuable because nobody communicates in person anymore. Best way to connect with girls at my age is through tinder.
The video camera is also important because I want to start a youtube channel. One of my most natural skills is talking. I think making videos will help me.

I'm having a hard time knowing if these arguments are bad arguments. I see the downside and the upside. I guess that's why I'm asking for advice here.
Honey,

I truly believe looking good on tinder for "girls" is a bad investment. First you make money, then you don't even need to look for girls, because they will come to you. Also something else that I have learnt from the movie Scarface when I was a kid: "if you love women more than money, you will not succeed". I don't remember what Tony said exactly, but it was something like that.
H**s can wait. you focus on you

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
I think you're asking the wrong question. Instead of trying to figure out how much to spend, figure out a 1-year goal you can achieve and go for that. (since you're on a business forum, pick a business you'd like to get up and running and do that). IF your goal REQUIRES that you spend some money to help you achieve it, then spend the money. If not, don't.
Interesting. This gives me something to think about.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
(1) don't rush to spend the money. It's faking action. Lock it in for a month (or three) and write in big letters on a fridge that you won't touch it before that. Don't tell yourself that saving is the Slowlane, because spending it all asap is the Sidewalk :)

(2) in my opinion, pick ONE thing first. E.g. either a car, or clothing, or whatever, first. Research it thoroughly. Yep, act like a Slowlaner; it's okay in this situation. You don't have to follow TMF like a Gospel. Figure the car, the clothing, whatever will help you. (People buy treadmills thinking they will exercise, and then they don't.)
In my view. it's okay to buy clothing to improve your social life, but are you going out? If you aren't going out anyway, it doesn't matter. If that is your focus, go out, say, 10 times first, observe how people dress, then think what to buy. Then ideally find a friend who understands, what to buy, what fits your style. Otherwise you'll waste a lot of money while you figure out the fashion thing.

A_Random_Guy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
May 27, 2019
India
that's a stretch. What kind of skill can you learn so quickly to go from 12k to 150k a year? And so cheaply?
Learning to code in Python, C++, C or Java. By no means do I mean he can make 150k a year very easily but he can easily make 3k from freelancing. I've heard closing a deal gives you 10% of the revenue. Perhaps learning to close could help as well.

(1) don't rush to spend the money. It's faking action. Lock it in for a month (or three) and write in big letters on a fridge that you won't touch it before that. Don't tell yourself that saving is the Slowlane, because spending it all asap is the Sidewalk
Instead of locking up your money, try to invest it in stocks or Mutual Deposit in a bank. Cash flows, cash grows. Keeping it locked up would leave you with the same 3000$ after 3 months.

(2) in my opinion, pick ONE thing first. E.g. either a car, or clothing, or whatever, first. Research it thoroughly. Yep, act like a Slowlaner; it's okay in this situation. You don't have to follow TMF like a Gospel. Figure the car, the clothing, whatever will help you. (People buy treadmills thinking they will exercise, and then they don't.)
In my view. it's okay to buy clothing to improve your social life, but are you going out? If you aren't going out anyway, it doesn't matter. If that is your focus, go out, say, 10 times first, observe how people dress, then think what to buy. Then ideally find a friend who understands, what to buy, what fits your style. Otherwise you'll waste a lot of money while you figure out the fashion thing.
That is very good advice. I ask the OP to read it twice. If you want to be a businessman/entrepreneur, dress like one. Wearing Gucci because it's cool is okay, but you might regret spending your money later. It is your money and you can do whatever you want, but try to make money from it if possible :)

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
A cheap and reliable car sounds helpful and is a tool to make your life more efficient. Don't see the need to wax 500 bucks on clothes though. I don't buy the whole dress to feel good thing, sounds like retail therapy to me. Mindless consumerism shit. Better to try and become more comfortable with yourself.

The photoshoot and tinder thing is just .. dumb.

Rising88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 4, 2019
I can relate to you when I was 19... there’s many things in your mind right and your emotion/need is what will make you buy...

By the sound of things...
1. Write down the pros and cons of why you want a car? Be real with yourself. At your age with the money you’re making, you’re chaining yourself to debt.

2. Yes, when you hit young adulthood, your craving for connecting with women will spike. Join a community of men who are successful with women. Be selective in who you learn from

3. Clothing, I suggest to have a budget and goto discount stores, your taste will change over time.

4. Find a skill that will be an asset, that is a NEED, and PRODUCE VALUE for people - in exchange for cash.

Prioritize based on your needs right now.

Enjoy the journey and trust in the process . :)

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
Haha you're welcome.

Don't dismiss getting a car too easily. A car can be very useful. You can use it to add leverage to you since you have a farther radius of potential.

Just don't be fancy when you're a young buck. People want fancy cars simply because they are positioned as something they can't have.

Working from home is nice. The only problem is it keeps you in your comfort zone. You'll never be aware of gaps to fill without going into the field. That's why you should get a sales job where you deal with the public.

It exponentially improved my confidence since it gave me an apprenticeship for applying things. The thousands of people I've met with... and hundreds I've closed... have opened so many doors.

Working there has also given the free opportunity to train the junior sales staff informally under me. This means I know how to scale any business. (and I can code web apps from my side hustle days)

The junior people have thanked me for simply showing them what thing to focus on each week. (instead of the company's cram it all down their throat and let them sink or swim and wonder why everyone quits approach.)

Most people there just get sufficiently good at their jobs. There is nothing stopping anyone from picking everyone from sales to logistic's brains. This will save you from having to reinvent the entire wheel.

This place also revealed a massive gap companies are half-assedly filling for their customers. Customers always leave disappointed and beg for it.

Filling it will undercut corporate's fat margins so they don't want to address it. Some day the giants in this industry will be another sad case study like Blockbuster.

For one's social life, just like in entrepreneurship, value attracts value. Focus on being strong, fit and source of pleasure instead of misery. (Unscripted )

Let other guys go chasing everyone around like a horny wiener dog. (BRO-marketer) Others never put themselves out there and wonder why they find no one. (slowlaner) And don't forget the decadent "YOLO" crowd. (sidewalkers)

BTW, what are you studying in school? How's it move you further in tangible terms? What market gap does having the degree help fill? Hope this isn't offensive, but if it is, it's a sign of cognitive dissonance.
I agree and would recommend investing in yourself, get a sales job and stick it out for some time (builds confidence and valuable skills), make more money, learn constantly, grow and all other things will align!

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Hi,

congratulations on saving about 3K. In my opinion, you do not need the "shitty" car and the stuff to document your journey, and especially not a photoshoot done for your social media. In my humble opinion, these things are not very useful at the moment. However, I do have another opinion when it comes to your clothes. I will not tell you to buy a Gucci belt, but being decently dressed when one is your age, gives you confidence. I also believe that you could upgrade your wardrobe and treat it as if you're celebrating your "saving skills".

Best of luck to you
Yea, I feel my best and most confident when I look good. Lately I've been getting two haircuts a month and I feel great. However, each haircut costs about 30 bucks. It's a hard line for me to understand. How much should I focus on long-term versus short-term.
I want a shitty car for the freedom. Taking the bus is so difficult because I carry lots of stuff with me and I waste a lot of time.
The photoshoot is honestly valuable because nobody communicates in person anymore. Best way to connect with girls at my age is through tinder.
The video camera is also important because I want to start a youtube channel. One of my most natural skills is talking. I think making videos will help me.

I'm having a hard time knowing if these arguments are bad arguments. I see the downside and the upside. I guess that's why I'm asking for advice here.

Vitaly the Winne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 4, 2019
California

Look at it this way my friend, will these things be assets, or liabilities. Say you get these things, how will they pay you or pay off, or will you just spend the money and it's gone?

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Look at it this way my friend, will these things be assets, or liabilities. Say you get these things, how will they pay you or pay off, or will you just spend the money and it's gone?
I think they will pay off in an indirect way. They will improve my confidence which will then improve my productivity and happiness..... Which will make more money in the long run. I'm not sure if this is erroneous thinking though.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Your sure sound familiar to me at 19.

A few points:

1. What does the new car accomplish? Do you need it for better job opportunities? I can afford a very fancy car, yet I still drive the one from when I was dead broke. I don't care and no one judges me for it other than saying "Wow you're good at finding deals. Those motors never die."

2. Some jeans and black/dark t-shirts will look fine.

Just focus on having clean well fitting clothes and good hygiene. Be the assertive guy that takes action towards his desires. Take care of yourself instead of pandering to others. That is more valuable to women than trying to impress them.

3. Don't do things to impress women. It is the same as value cheating. Any decent women will smell it a mile off. They are more advanced socially than most young men.

4. You could even get a used camera with a stand. Get good at taking well-lit and positioned photos and you can be the one with a lucrative side hustle. You can also use it to flip things on Craigslist.

Solution:
Get a second job where you sell things to the public. Use a car to spread your job options out further. Go to the gym and keep good hygiene. Don't worry about rejection and failure. Focus on moving forward and testing each new thesis and its opposite.

Don't be the guy who blows money and pea cocks trying to impress women. Put yourself in a position where you can keep taking smart risks while incrementally moving forward. Each step will compound the rest and you'll look back at how you used to be.

PS: Read the sections about hyper reality in Unscripted . You will become much more confident since you are one of the few who aren't playing in a rigged consumerist game.
For my current job, I work from home so no need for a car. Also, school starts in two months so after that I live in residence and parking is too expensive. The reason I'd need a car is for the weekends I come back home, and this two month period during the summer. Perhaps its best to just forget about it.

Agree on your points about women. I'm not trying to impress them. Just trying to better myself.

Thanks for the advice man. Appreciate it. Also, I've already read that section.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Haha you're welcome.

I agree with sales. Last summer I did sales door to door for 4 months. I went to a lot of different cities too. Really fun job. met a lot of cool people. But the pay was horrible and the company never paid on time. Good experience though.

Congrats on the stuff you're doing bro!

I'm studying business at school. One of the top schools in my country. It opens doors in terms of networking and there a lot of opportunities around. Honestly, I was considering quitting school (just finished my first year). I decided against it for now. Not offensive at all.

A_Random_Guy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
May 27, 2019
India
Spend all of that money on getting e-certificates and attend workshops to develop high paying skills.
3 months later, you might be making 3k per week.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.