The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sam Harris (prominent Atheist author)’s Business Model is brilliant, in my opinion.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Sam Harris is a a pretty prominent Thought Leader. These are his thoughts on why he doesnt run ads. He relies completely on donations. Which doesn’t seem like a very revolutionary strategy, but it’s his explanation of it which I think make it great. You pay for whatever value you feel you got from it.

I don’t feel I can credibly run ads on my podcast, even for products and services I love and use myself. The one ad I read for a while was for Audible, which I do use, but even in that case, I don’t feel entirely comfortable telling you that you should subscribe to Audible. I mean, should you? Perhaps you shouldn’t. I have no idea. And that would go down as the worst Audible ad ever.

“In any case, I’ve discovered that I don’t feel comfortable selling ads, which is fine because I hate what ads have done to digital media. The advertising model is responsible for almost everything that is wrong online. But not running ads puts me in a position of asking my audience for support. This is something I approached with real trepidation in the beginning. However, having done it, I’ve discovered it’s actually the most straightforward relationship I can have with my audience.”

View: https://youtu.be/b5An_vnSxTQ?t=23

Many prominent academics are taking the same model and relying completely on donations, making millions in the process.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walterbl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 23, 2018
So whats exactly brilliant about asking for donations? Any producer with a Patreon page is basically asking for donations. A lot of people do it. When you are as big as Harris, you can probably afford to do it. The hard part is becoming so well known in the first place.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I said that’s not the brilliant part. Of course donations isn’t revolutionary. The brilliant part is how he knows that it has the potential to bias his work, and refuses to do so on that basis. Therefore you pay what you feel you’ve gained from it. And if you’re not in a financial position to pay for it, that’s okay too.

The outcome is brilliant. You don’t get value from it? You pay nothing.

I’m really considering using this model for a few books I’m working on.

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
I’m really considering using this model for a few books I’m working on.

You mean something like "read it and pay whatever you want later"? If yes, I highly doubt people will finish a free book (they barely finish paid ones) so you might end up with nothing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
You mean something like "read it and pay whatever you want later"? If yes, I highly doubt people will finish a free book (they barely finish paid ones) so you might end up with nothing.
Maybe. But it may be a cool social experiment. It would have to be an ebook so there’s no risk (production prices)

But this is a good point... the part in which I talk about donations would have to be toward the beginning or middle of the book, not the end.

TFM-PVB

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 16, 2018
New York

Agreed. Asking for donations on a recurring basis in a recurring delivery medium like podcasts seems very different from asking for a one time donation for a book.

Maybe post series of articles instead? If you ask for donations after delivering each one, those who regularly find value in them might be inclined to donate after frequent 'nudges'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.