The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Salary vs. Equity

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Nate-NewVenture

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 31, 2014
Lomita, CA
Looking back, I posted a question to the wrong group. Oops! Can I love the entire thread? Anyways....

Here's my dilemma. I have no capital. I have the promise of equity and stock options.

Question: do I start looking for investors so I can afford salaries or can I promise equity (no more than 5% per with a no greater loss of 20% between all)?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Nate, how could I, as a regular lad with absolutely no information about your business, be able to offer you good advice?

Do you NEED employees/partners to advance? What exactly would they bring to the table? If you ABSOLUTELY need them, why did you pick a business where you knew you would have no money to pay people you would HAVE to have to succeed?

"If you want my advice, Peter, you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?"

Nate-NewVenture

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 31, 2014
Lomita, CA
Nate, how could I, as a regular lad with absolutely no information about your business, be able to offer you good advice?

Do you NEED employees/partners to advance? What exactly would they bring to the table? If you ABSOLUTELY need them, why did you pick a business where you knew you would have no money to pay people you would HAVE to have to succeed?

Those are great questions. To answer the first, my objective was opinion. You are right that without specifics, specific answers are impossible. But with general questions, are general answers not possible? You did give me a general question as a response.

To answer your question, I can learn to code. I want to learn to code. Those things are mutually exclusive. I know people who code well so I guess the real question is should be: invest in self-knowledge or not re-invent the wheel? The benefits for self-knowledge would be long term gain and self-sufficiency. The downside is time. The benefits to finding someone is time but the downside is long term financial loss.

Thoughts?

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
http://thisweekinstartups.com/do-you-need-a-cofounder/

It's going to take you a long time to learn how to code from what it looks like nothing... And then build a product people love that actually works without breaking? See ya in a year... Then you'll probably fail unless you get lucky.

If you legitamently like coding, learn it. It's a very valuable skill to have. Either way whatever you bring to the table, you should be trying to be the best at.

Nate-NewVenture

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 31, 2014
Lomita, CA
http://thisweekinstartups.com/do-you-need-a-cofounder/

It's going to take you a long time to learn how to code from what it looks like nothing... And then build a product people love that actually works without breaking? See ya in a year... Then you'll probably fail unless you get lucky.

If you legitamently like coding, learn it. It's a very valuable skill to have. Either way whatever you bring to the table, you should be trying to be the best at.

A bit of sarcasm in there but I get your point.

I want to the best at business, not coding. I would love to learn it when I retire in 3 years though!

-Edit

Thanks for the link. Great info!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.