The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Safe or Safety Deposit Box

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just wondering how many of you have safes or safe deposit boxes. I was thinking of getting a safe but then I started looking into a safe deposit box. The SD boxes are pretty cheap in comparision to a safe. Just wondering what you opinions of them are? Are they safe or do you feel more worried with something stored in one?

Is it true that since you don't tell the bank what's inside yours that in the event of theft or fire or any damage you have no recourse on its contents?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I have a small fire safe in my house

Disadvantage, someone could walk off with it.

advantage- I can easily hide it, so less chance of them finding it.
No need to run to the bank to ad or subtract from the contents

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Get an actual safe. Don't buy from those safe stores that want to charge you $5000 for it... Just go to Sam's Club and pick out the best one they have for about $1000... It's basically the same, and will last through a fire or flood (Unless you are planning on burning the safe at 5000 degrees for over 2 hours or something ridiculous). For that price you can get something in the 550+ pounds category that can hold 20-30 long rifles, and/or add shelving for your coins, jewelry and other valuables. I believe you can also write it off as a business expense too.

If you are keeping valuables that exceed what the payout is on your home owner's policy in your house safe, you might want to raise your limits and/or add a home security system to your house as well. Put another layer of security between you and potential thieves. I think something like 90% of residential safe robberies are inside jobs, so be careful who you show off your brand new shiny safe to. Keep it in a closet or a utility room that most people won't go into. Consider putting a key lock on that door as well.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
For that price you can get something in the 550+ pounds category that can hold 20-30 long rifles, and/or add shelving for your coins, jewelry and other valuables. I believe you can also write it off as a business expense too.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

How did you know I was going to store 20 M4's and 5000 rounds of ammo? :)

GettingThere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 3, 2007
Central Florida
Safe

If you're REALLY worried about it walking away, bolt it to the floor. If you live "up north" as we Floridians say, have it delivered to your basement if it will fit.

My dad has one of these (might be a different brand) and it is SOLID. I know he paid somewhere around $900.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
The small safes can be easily gotten into by drilling into the back and peeling the sides back. They can easily be picked up. I also recommend any that can be bolted down.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
The best safe I have seen in a house, was in Westport...it was built into the house behind a panal to hide it in the closet. Around it they actualy poured 8in of concrete reinforced with 1/2 rebar to "secure" it. So it was like a little bank vault.:cool: The owners kept big rocks in it.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Just wondering how many of you have safes or safe deposit boxes. I was thinking of getting a safe but then I started looking into a safe deposit box. The SD boxes are pretty cheap in comparision to a safe. Just wondering what you opinions of them are? Are they safe or do you feel more worried with something stored in one?

Is it true that since you don't tell the bank what's inside yours that in the event of theft or fire or any damage you have no recourse on its contents?

make sure you read the fine print. if you are in default to the bank, then the bank will reserve the right to confiscate the holdings inside the box.... Interesting about how there is no recourse to the bank since you don't disclose what's in the box...

a safe inside the home is much more convenient and a written list of contents can be verified with a 10 minute visit with insurance agent.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
How did you know I was going to store 20 M4's and 5000 rounds of ammo? :)
In case of the zombie apocalypse, duh! Though twenty is a large number of survivors for one posse. I'd recommend enough for ten with a good mix of autolading shotguns, mid-range carbines, and long-range rifles. Plus sidearms for everyone.

In answer to your original question, though, I have both. A safe deposit box (not "safety") is a great place to store important documents (will, insurance policy, ect.) and other precious items. Having your valuables divided between two locations halves your liability in case of the compromise of either site. So keep originals in one place and copies in another.

Important Caveats:

1. Do not keep your passport at the bank. What if you need to leave the country in a hurry? You would be S.O.L. on a Sunday, let alone during a state of emergency.
  2. Do not keep anything unsavory or illegal in your box. There are several instances in which the bank and/or the PD can search your box without notifying you.
  3. Do not keep your "parachute" in your S.D. box. If you have set up a backup life (new identity, cash stash, etc.), signing in at the bank could draw unwanted attention at the wrong time. Find a third hiding spot for such things.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Crap! Now I have to take my passport, license, and SS card with my get out of town name on it, and my rocks and Sig out of the box!:smxD:

For the end of the world I would want an AK47 or M14. I like the M4 its a damn good carbine, but IMHO I think the 47 is more reliable. You don't really have to clean an AK, and you know when you pull the trigger it will work.

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I rent so I have a safety deposit box at the bank.

From what I know about home safes: The best ones are sunk in concrete. You can do it in your garage floor if you own your house.

You DO NOT want a portable safe because it's very easy for someone to haul it right out of your house -- and that includes 500 lb. safes. (What do you think your refrigerator weighs? Refrigerator dollie, two guys and that safe is out of there!) Crooks don't have to know how to open a safe. They can take it to a locksmith and the locksmith will open it. And those safes are sold "locked" all day long on the secondary "legal" market so good luck in finding your locked safe that was stolen.
I rent a storage space in a storage facilty that I consider almost as safe (or maybe even safer) than my safety deposit box. My storage facility is alarmed, right next to the fire station, and has a live-in manager. If you open a door without turning off the alarm at the gate, it lets off a huge "beep beep" to let you know someone has opened a unit.

HOWEVER, this is not the most secure unit I've heard of. I have a friend who deals in million dollar items who has storage in a REALLY secure place. They only keep items for a small number of people. Everyone has to sign in when they come in. The managers are on duty 24 hours a day. Climate controlled. Every unit is completely secure (so you can't drill through your walls to get into the space next to you).

Safes and safety deposit boxes are only for storing small things. What would people do if they inherited a $500K piece of furniture? :)

MattThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 16, 2009
Long Island, New York
I guess it depends on what you want to store. A danger of a safe immediately that comes to mind is that you could easily be held at gunpoint to open the safe is the thief is bold enough. A safe deposit box, however has a lot more security as far as cameras, etc...so a thief might be more hesitant to steal from safe deposit boxes as they would from a safe in someones house.

But, as a few other members have mentioned, if you are storing something that you don't want any "attention" called to, a safe might be better.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Safes and safety deposit boxes are only for storing small things. What would people do if they inherited a $500K piece of furniture? :)

Put it in my house where it belongs!

Happy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Aug 16, 2008
St. Louis, MO - USA
I use both a safe deposit box at the bank and a gun safe at home. I don't feel that one size fits all in this case.

Be forewarned that even the heavier fire proof gun safes can be easily moved if you know what your doing, so I would recommend bolting this type of safe to the floor as well. If you go with something as extreme as a jeweler's safe be sure that your floor can support the weight.

The ultimate safe would be a safe room/panic room that would keep both you and your valuables safe.

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I read some things recently on the internet that I thought were interesting....

Some people have had home invasion robberies where they were forced to open the gun safes (at gunpoint) and the criminals stole all their guns and whatever else they had.

A safe at home might attract crime more than prevent it IF it's known that you have a safe.

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Put it in my house where it belongs!

Ha!

Seriously, I've always liked the business plan of the folks that own the "high security storage" for large items and dealers/collectors. It's really unique and I would have never known such a thing existed.... It's kind of like being able to keep your items at Fort Knox.

It obviously costs a lot more to store things there, but what people are storing is worth a lot more so it's worth it to them.

This might be a good business plan for someone hoping to get into the storage business!

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
A safe at home might attract crime more than prevent it IF it's known that you have a safe.

Thats why you don't keep all your guns in the safe! I keep my Mini 14 locked and loaded with 20 rounds of NATO ball ammo ready to go all the times. Safety is off, cycle the bolt and your rocking and rolling. The 5.56 isn't the most powerfull round...but at 15ft any bullit will do as long as it hits...

I want to get a 12 guage pump with pistol grips, and mount a flashlight on it. I think thats the best, loaded with 00 buck so you rip a hole in the SOB the size of your fist.

IMHO a pistol isn't the best choice unless you practice with it enough to where its automatic.

My friend is even more nuts...he has an M14 with tactical rounds ready to go...a 7.62 round will rip you in half at that close range.

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Thats why you don't keep all your guns in the safe! I keep my Mini 14 locked and loaded with 20 rounds of NATO ball ammo ready to go all the times. Safety is off, cycle the bolt and your rocking and rolling. The 5.56 isn't the most powerfull round...but at 15ft any bullit will do as long as it hits...

I want to get a 12 guage pump with pistol grips, and mount a flashlight on it. I think thats the best, loaded with 00 buck so you rip a hole in the SOB the size of your fist.

IMHO a pistol isn't the best choice unless you practice with it enough to where its automatic.

My friend is even more nuts...he has an M14 with tactical rounds ready to go...a 7.62 round will rip you in half at that close range.

Please tell me you don't have kids....

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Nope, if little kids were around I would keep them hidden out of site and the ammo in a different spot. I'd have to figure out a spot where I could get to it fast, that the kids couldn't. Maybe one of those panic box's or whatever they are called.

Little kids shouldn't be around guns until they can understand how to safely handle them.

ATL_JB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Feb 11, 2009
Atlanta GA
Make sure if purchase a bolt down safe from a store, that you pick it up and don't let them know where you live. The reason being most people will let the sales clerk know what they are going to store in the safe and everyone working at retail stores aren't always the most honest people. If they deliver the safe or have your address, they may be tempted to have friends or associates come pay you a visit one day. Hey, they delivered the safe and one know that you have one and two they know where you live. I probably would pay cash and pick the safe up personally.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.