The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What do US residents think about "safety bracelets"?

Dejan M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 9, 2008
Slovenia, Europe
First of all - I REALLY do not want to start a political debate. I would just like to hear an opinion from people who live in the country and I would like 1st hand opinions.

This is the tematic:
Washington Times - Politics, Breaking News, US and World News - "Want some torture with your peanuts?" by Aviation Security

A senior government official with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has expressed great interest in a so-called safety bracelet that would serve as a stun device, similar to that of a police Taser®. According to this promotional video found at the Lamperd Less Lethal, Inc. website, the bracelet would be worn by all airline passengers (video also shown below). This bracelet would:
• Take the place of an airline boarding pass
• Contain personal information about the traveler
• Be able to monitor the whereabouts of each passenger and his/her luggage
• Shock the wearer on command, completely immobilizing him/her for several minutes

I will not give my opinion unless you want me too. I would just like to hear from you what do you think about this.

I will be really grateful for your comments.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
• Shock the wearer on command, completely immobilizing him/her for several minutes

Somehow, I don't see this part of it ever materializing. The ACLU would be all over it as would just about any safety/security pundit.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Our government is reactive vs proactive. The enemy is smarter than that. I'm sure the next terrorist attack will have nothing to do with airplanes. This *idea* seems to achieve what the enemy wants -- an erosion of our personal freedoms and privileges. With more security comes loss of our freedom. Sounds like mission accomplished for the enemy.

Jeffs07

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Feb 24, 2008
Rockingham NC
I totally agree with MJ. Why on earth would any reasonably intelligent terrorist want to target the airline system for an attack when Americans are most on their guard?

As for the bracelet, I'm a libertarian so I'm against pretty much any device which I feel could be used unethically in the wrong hands. This country is founded on the idea of checks and balances. For this bracelet system to work, I feel there must be a way for the collective power of the people to check the system as a protective measure.

I don't see this idea coming to existence but to summarize my rational:

1. The airlines most likely won't be attacked by any thinking terrorist organization.
2. It seems like the system could potentially be used unethically with no checks on the behalf of the people.
3. People have the right to privacy, we can't ignore this fact no matter how many times were attacked; be it war, terrorism or anything else.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
When you picture your small child, maybe 5 yrs old having to submit to such a devise you realize how truly ludacris that would be. Nobody would go for it.

They should instead be looking at a way to take over the controls of the plane from the tower, so they could land it automatically if the crew is ever overpowered or murdered. If they had something like that on Flight 93, those passengers would have slaughtered those terrorists and 95% of the people on the plane could have landed safely without the pilots, and without having to worrying about the terrorists ultimately crashing the plane during the ensuing struggle for control.

- Hakrjak :boxing_smiley:

Banthaman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 15, 2008
Earth... yes that is specific
Call me one to shoot from the hip but something about that doesn't sound very "land of the free".

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I dunno, ask someone ten years ago if they would be willing to be strip searched to board a plane and you would get similar responses to this thread.

Unfortunately I don't see how this thread cannot be political. It gets down to perceived safety versus civil rights.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.