The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Romance Writers: Heat level by sub-genre?

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Curious how any of you go about deciding how much spice to add to your novels based on the sub-genre you're writing for. Is there a way to find the sweet spot in something like Contemporary or New Adult where the heat level is spread all over the spectrum? Some novels contain little to no sexy times while others even manage to make me blush. Hard to discern between the heat level in novels without reading them, as so many simply have the black and white naked torso or couple with sometimes misleading blurbs.

Is it best just to write the amount of spice you want for a story and just slap a disclaimer in your blurb?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I believe the only way to know is to read similar titles in that genre. Some like harlequins are on a formula type writing. I've read a lot of the romance novels like that and of course it's not that deep into sexual stuff, just kind of sugar coating. Christian romance has none at all for obvious reasons. Erotica is usually the heaviest. Literary Fiction can get into some deep stuff too which I've read, because I am more aiming towards literary fiction because I find formula's kind of boring.

I think you just have to read in that genre area you're close too and see how similar writers do it that match your style. Like for me, I could write Erotica perfectly, but on the other hand it's not who I am. I used to be in this writing group that I read out loud, and of course many of them told me to bring that out, because they feel writer's need to express everything real and desirable. I never have written Erotica.

You have to go with what feels right to you. As I'm a big believer in being your authentic self as a writer, because if you're trying to write like someone else the readers are going to notice you're not in it 100% with feelings and emotions. As in when you're writing that scene artistically you have to write it with emotion and feeling as if you're in that experience the very moment you write it for the reader to be drawn into the story. What are you comfortable with and how far are you willing to go in your book? That's the better question.

You're only going to write what you're comfortable with yourself expressing.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Well, that's kind of my point. Reading new adult, for example, I can find titles with no sex and titles that get fairly heavy, yet they represent the same genre and can be very similar with covers and blurbs.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I guess what I'm trying to tell you that writers only write what they feel comfortable with and how far they're willing to get out of their comfort zone. Sex is how inhibited you are, how you feel about it, what you're perspective is about writing about it. Pretty much the writer is the creator of the book and characters. There is no specific rule. Just where you want to go with it and feel is acceptable or not acceptable to you.

Don't know if this writer forum will help you.
http://accentuatewriters.com/

Last edited:

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Perhaps I didn't explain myself adequately. I'm not trying to figure out MY comfort level, but general genre expectations without reading hundreds of titles.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Note to self - Outsource development of software that determines sexual intensity by genre to sell to Thriftypreneur. :D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I write romance, and I'd actually prefer to write books without non-explicit sex in them. But it does seem that there's a certain expectation, maybe due to the popularity 50 Shades of Gray, that romance books (especially those geared toward college-aged women) will have some fairly explicit scenes. So basically for me, I include a couple of explicit sex scenes per full-length book.

In my books, the sex is fairly straight, meaning it's heterosexual, only two people participating, and not BDSM. Reviewers will occasionally tell me there's not enough sex, but unless I'm writing full-out erotica, two scenes is kind of my limit.

I put a disclaimer on the description that it's intended for mature readers.

Hope this helps, @Thriftypreneur! It's so nice to see you back here. Your analysis and insight is always really great!

(Hey, a side note...I have also read plenty of romance books that don't have explicit sex. It just seems that a lot of the big sellers are fairly explicit.)

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
...Oh, another note. In most of my books, I've used fairly tame words to describe body parts. (Meaning I will generally use the word "length" or "erection" rather than the word "cock," for example. Well, now I'm all embarrassed, but you get the idea.) I think this helps give the illusion of decency, and also helps a book getting hit with Amazon's adult content filter.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders