Hi all, first progress post here and very excited to finally be able to contribute to this forum!
I come from a software background in Investment Banking and have never attempted anything like this. I built a messaging app (under review by Apple at the moment) which lets people message me their restaurant booking and I’ll do the leg work to secure them a booking or find alternatives. http://getseated.com.au
I would call this more of an experiment than anything else as I wanted to launch something end to end by myself and learn as much as Apossible. So I’m here to share some lessons for others who are in a similar stage and also would really appreciate any feedback people might have for me.
Lessons
Feedback
Thanks for looking!
I come from a software background in Investment Banking and have never attempted anything like this. I built a messaging app (under review by Apple at the moment) which lets people message me their restaurant booking and I’ll do the leg work to secure them a booking or find alternatives. http://getseated.com.au
I would call this more of an experiment than anything else as I wanted to launch something end to end by myself and learn as much as Apossible. So I’m here to share some lessons for others who are in a similar stage and also would really appreciate any feedback people might have for me.
Lessons
- Don’t rush into building the app. I come from a software background and obviously jumped right into familiar territory first. The app took twice as long as I initially thought.
- I have zero marketing experience and hence left it until the end. This is a mistake. Need to think about marketing channels from day 1, http://startupsheartcustomers.com/ is a great crash course. And also http://www.businessmodelgeneration.com/canvas/bmc is a great tool get a overview of the idea and to see that product development is just a small slice of the pie.
- This might sound like common sense to most of you here but thinking about marketing from the start will force you to clearly define your customer AND how you are going to reach them.
- As I was submitting the app for review by Apple I had to select which country the app is available in. Now the app is only available in Australia since I live in Melbourne, so I could NOT select the other 154 countries available. This was an absolute gut punch moment. Think bigger.
Feedback
- The app is free to try for 30 days and then $5AUD a month. However I am now leaning towards making it completely free and see what happens. Is this wise?
- Feedback and questions are all super welcomed.
Thanks for looking!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
