The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! Required viewing: Why creating value is a *moral* imperative - Jonathan Haidt on the power of Capitalism

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Ok, last question then... I will start my own thread because I find this more intriguing for me....

Why do we have to work when productivity (measured by GDP or other indices you brought before) has increased bazillion of times since 1700s?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

SamRussell

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Ok, last question then... I will start my own thread because I find this more intriguing for me....

Why do we have to work when productivity (measured by GDP or other indices you brought before) has increased bazillion of times since 1700s?
You need to trade with others, and only producers get to trade.

You also need a purpose to be happy.

Working gives you both

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
You need to trade with others, and only producers get to trade.

You also need a purpose to be happy.

Working gives you both
Are you suggesting that we don't have to work anymore and we do it for pleasure now?

SamRussell

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Are you suggesting that we don't have to work anymore and we do it for pleasure now?
Erm... not quite.

We have to work for pleasure and because we need stuff.

If you want something that someone else has made, you need to make something to trade with them.

If you sit around all day for months on end doing nothing, you’ll become depressed

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

because people are never satisfied

we're always going to want better, faster stronger everything

Tourmaline

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
This was basically my point here. Everyone else isn't getting richer as fast as the richest since around 1970 or late 1980s depending on studies.
Why is this a problem?

The rich have their time and resources leveraged substainally more than the non-rich. As tech has progressed the power of leverage has increased massively.

There's a lot more people to serve and a lot more work to do...

I think you've stared at too much FUD for too long. Much of your rhetoric reminds me of when I was very into stuff talking about 'the decline' and what not. How much silver do you have stashed away I wonder.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom