The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Repositories for code

smartmoney

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 1, 2013
New England, USA
I'm building a web app to turn into a business. Just added another web developer to my team.
(https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/smartmoneys-beginnings.49515/)

With another developer, it makes sense to use an online repository. Seems like the big players are Github and Bitbucket.

Anyone have experience with either? Pros and Cons?
Bitbucket does give you private repositories for free and I definitely want a private repo, but I generally think free stuff can be worth what you paid.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Felix II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 6, 2010
Are you already familiar with Git and is that why you are asking about the above two?

I use Devzing (Subversion). I don't know what I pay because I only pay once per year but I think it is about $30. I get unlimited repos and I think more or less unlimited space.

I highly recommend them if you're not committed (no pun intended) to Git.

I've used Github in the past (maybe two years ago) and they were fine too.

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
I don't know, whether Github has the option to setup a private repository. If you want to use git and don't need all the other Github features you can take a look at setting up your own repo on your computer or some server on the internet. As far as I know with git every developer has his own local working copy and only some methods "synchronize" with the main repo. So maybe setting up your own repo can be worth a consideration.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
Just keep in mind that with subversion you're relying on a centralized version control system. So in case you want to revert or commit some changes without a connection to the server you're lost.

Milenko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 6, 2011
Cleveland, OH
With Github you can get 5 private repos for $7 a month - not free but near enough.

I haven't used Bitbucket but I've used Github for personal projects and as part of a completely remote team of devs and it does the job. We deploy directly from Github using TeamCity to both stage and production environments - I wasn't part of setting it up but developing using this setup is painless - commit the code, TeamCity tests the build and deploys if it passes.

Again, not sure about Bitbucket but the popularity of Github means a lot of third-party integrations that can save you time and energy in not having to deal with manual deployment, manual testing, FTP, etc.

WalterBellhaven

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 12, 2012
Southern California
Milenko makes some good points about the benefits of Github having more 3rd-party tools & integrations available. That said, I used BitBucket for a couple of private repos, and it works just fine for basic version control. Not as fancy as Github, but you can't beat the price!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.