The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reminder 9-5'ers; we are NOT safe!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
It's practically a running joke in the office that im somehow still employed there.

Don't give zero F*cks, focusing on my fastlane.

I am sorry but reading this has made me have to reply. It doesn't matter what people do in life you have to put effort in it to it, or don't do it at all. It is a work ethic and a pride in yourself that can be carried over to no matter what you do.

I don't care how much I hated the jobs I have had, even when I had big red target "quit dates" on my calendar, I would still put in maximum effort while I was there. If I can do my overachieve and do my entire day's worth of work in 3 hours, and then work on myself the the rest that is fine. But not a chance in hell will I put in 0 hours of real work and be dead weight at wherever I am. It is a matter of pride, morals and ethics that I will bring with me everywhere in my life. From shoveling snow on the walkway, to doing dishes, to crap warehouse jobs and fastfood places I have worked. It has allowed me to grow and succeed at everything I throw myself at

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

stoltzk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 11, 2016
New Orleans, La
Great post, thanks for sharing

Today, January 3rd, 2017.

After having an amazing fun filled Christmas.

A spectacular drunken New Years.

Leading into what looks like a very promising 2017.

This morning at 10-am my employer laid off 10 Engineers. Most of which did not have a rainy day fund, only a few had enough savings to hold off until they can find something else. Some just signed new leases. Some just bought new cars in December.

Needless to say this bothers me. While we are building our businesses or "Fast Lane Vehicle's" we can never forget that we are NOT safe. When you get home from work and consider relaxing and enjoying netflix instead of pushing the ball forward. Remember " You are NOT safe"

When your boss has stressed you out and you just want to lounge around with the boys or the gals, remember "You are NOT safe".

This subject alone has always been a huge motivator for me.

A job is a great financial asset to building your business on the side, just do not let it cripple your action.

Because any day, any minute, this could be you or me.

Just wanted to share, today was a sad day as most of those guys were good friends of mines and without an additional source of income, they are now seemingly lost.

Tonight, I will go home and work because I know as long as I'm attached to my job. I AM NOT SAFE

Happy New Years All.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I am sorry but reading this has made me have to reply. It doesn't matter what people do in life you have to put effort in it to it, or don't do it at all. It is a work ethic and a pride in yourself that can be carried over to no matter what you do.

I don't care how much I hated the jobs I have had, even when I had big red target "quit dates" on my calendar, I would still put in maximum effort while I was there. If I can do my overachieve and do my entire day's worth of work in 3 hours, and then work on myself the the rest that is fine. But not a chance in hell will I put in 0 hours of real work and be dead weight at wherever I am. It is a matter of pride, morals and ethics that I will bring with me everywhere in my life. From shoveling snow on the walkway, to doing dishes, to crap warehouse jobs and fastfood places I have worked. It has allowed me to grow and succeed at everything I throw myself at

Ha i knew it i just knew it someone would come in with "How I do anything is how i do everything" mantra!
Yes you're right, i agree with you but i gotta defend myself.

My job doesn't work the way you describe, there's no set workload, a case comes in a someone takes it.
If i get a case to do i always do my best to do it right, however i do the least cases in the department.
I also get paid the least and i get no raises like i said. I think that's fair. If management didn't think so i wouldn't have lasted 3.5 years.

So yes i'd rather work on personal stuff than take an available case if someone else is available.
But if there's work to be done and i'm the only one left ill take the case and i won't halfass it, ill do it right.

and yes 2 years back id tell you F*ck that F*ck the job i only care about my personal business, but i've since improved my mindset. I still give zero F*cks about the career im in but I try to do my due diligence at work.

I also come in at least half hour early for 2 months now thanks to the probation lol, noone in the office is that consistent.

Dinho7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 7, 2014
South Florida
Good post, OP! It is not a shame to hold a job, but it is a shame to believe that a 9 to 5 is a secure path to security and financial freedom.

I wasted my time in a Reddit forum this morning trying to fight off a mass of slowlane thinkers while give a young student advice on not follow a similar traditional path. Good to get back in this forum for some mindset "re-calibration".

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
The company my Dad works for went bankrupt yesterday. The writing was on the wall, but he ignored it. I've been warning him for months that this was coming...

No job, no savings, nothing. Sidewalker for life. (slowlaner on a good day)

This is the same guy that has told me my entire life that being self-employed is "way too risky" and "most business people fail, what makes you think you're any different?"

But jobs are safe....yeah right.

I work so hard so I don't end up like HIM!!

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I work for a startup that is poised to get big. Also, at any given point for the last year, we've never been more than 60 days from being broke. If you want security, switch from boxers to briefs.

Just to update TFLF, we're now very much less than 60 days from being broke.

I know this is gonna sound weird, but this is the most interesting shit has ever been around here. I like coming to work now,... and every day might be the last :clench:

Shamrox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
Jan 16, 2017
United Kingdom
Yes I did.

Short summary would be that it is more of a mindset/attitude changing book than a roadmap book like TMF . But well worth reading.

TMF ?

I've read the Fastlane and just started on One Simple Idea. These should be mandatory reads in high school! I've Boogled TMF but can't seem to find the full name for the book. Care to enlighten me? I am new to this so please excuse the ignorance :)

Books are the key, I might start a thread asking about the best ones to read as there is so much trash out there one must wade through. Then again, maybe it's already been done.

Many thanks!

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein (?)

I just came back from meeting an old high school friend this morning.

He lived the good life working at a jewelry shop while studying something that was in fashion a few years back.

A couple of months ago he got laid off, is now out of money and close to finishing his studies.

Turns out he doesn't want to work in the industry he has been studying for 6+ years.

Trying to find a job he's been sending on average 5-8 applications per week over the last couple of months with ZERO response.

When talking things through, I recognized a familiar pattern.

"I need a job. I need money. I want... I... I... I..."

Well, yeah, and they all thought I was crazy when I said I was off to building a business.

The slowlane mindset goes very deep.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Josh Billings

Shamrox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
Jan 16, 2017
United Kingdom

*Face palm*

I blame the ignorance again :D and lack of coffee!

When talking things through, I recognized a familiar pattern.

"I need a job. I need money. I want... I... I... I..."

Well, yeah, and they all thought I was crazy when I said I was off to building a business.

One of the things that impresses me with the fast lane mentality is the need to keep asking yourself what you can do for other people vs money chasing (me me me). Your buddy is a great example of what the fast lane mentality isn't. Thanks for sharing.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The company my Dad works for went bankrupt yesterday. The writing was on the wall, but he ignored it. I've been warning him for months that this was coming...

No job, no savings, nothing. Sidewalker for life. (slowlaner on a good day)

This is the same guy that has told me my entire life that being self-employed is "way too risky" and "most business people fail, what makes you think you're any different?"

But jobs are safe....yeah right.

I work so hard so I don't end up like HIM!!
make your father proud of you when you make it big.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Bumpdate:

Job took on a new contract, mandatory out of town work + mandatory overtime Saturdays with 4 days notice and I'm a bit irritated.

Why?... Not because of the work or going out of town...I love to work

But because I have ZERO say so. It's either go or be FIRED...it's the feeling of beeing completely out of control of even my own time that irritates me...

Fortunately, I can still handle client work from the hotel and check out what the city has to offer. It would suck if I had anything planned the next couple of weeks, I would just have to cancel everything. :)

Ahh, the benefits of being a corporate employee!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.