The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Release Your Brakes! - A Fastlaner's Guide to Optimal Energy, Focus and Health for Maximum $$$

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Do you have any different recommendations for someone who wants to GAIN weight instead of LOSING weight(specifically muscle mass)? Or would everything you already recommended remain the same.
  • Skip the cardio.
  • Increase the training volume to 10-20 sets / muscle group / week.
  • Train 3 times per week full-body OR 6 times per week with a split.
  • Complete most sets to or near failure.
  • Eat calories above maintenance.
  • Go heavy on the carbs, if your body can tolerate it.
  • Have at least 1g of protein for every pound of body weight.
  • Do 3-5 meals a day to distribute the protein evenly and keep spiking your insulin and mTOR pathway.

I would not recommend this for your long term health.
But if you're desperately trying to gain weight as fast as possible, this is a very reliable method.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
Do you recommend or have objections against doing the workouts in a fasted state (16/8 intermittend fasting)?

N.S.

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Aug 26, 2013
UK
80/20 lifting routine:

Full Body A:

Shoulder Press 3 sets (8-10 reps) (machine > smith > DB > BB)
Lat pulldown / pullups 3 sets (8-10 reps)
Trap bar deadlift 2 sets (6-8 reps)
Reverse Chest Fly OR Bent over fly 3 sets (10-15 reps)
Cable rope push downs 3 sets (10-12 reps)

Full Body B:

Incline chest press 3 sets (8-12 reps) (machine > smith > DB > BB)
DB Lateral side raises 3 sets (8-12 reps)
Back Cable Row 3 sets (8-12 reps) (Cable > machine > BB)
Leg Press 3 sets (8-12 reps)
Bicep Curl 3 sets (8-12 reps)

Pick a weight you can do for the lower end of the rep range e.g. 8 in 8-12.
Keep using that weight until you can do the higher end of the range (12).
Move up weight. Repeat.
THAT'S IT.
Thank you @PureA - such a useful thread!

Quick question.

When you use ">" above, does it mean "is greater than" i.e machine is better than smith machine is better than dumbells, or does it signal progression i.e. start with normal machine, move to smith machine, then dumbells etc?

I'm looking forward to trying these workouts this week. I love the simplicity of the progressive overload! It will be much less of my time spent on recording lots of reps, ranges etc

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Thank you @PureA - such a useful thread!

Quick question.

When you use ">" above, does it mean "is greater than" i.e machine is better than smith machine is better than dumbells, or does it signal progression i.e. start with normal machine, move to smith machine, then dumbells etc?

I'm looking forward to trying these workouts this week. I love the simplicity of the progressive overload! It will be much less of my time spent on recording lots of reps, ranges etc

It means greater than in this case.

Some of the reasons being:
1. Lower injury risk
2. More stability = more output = more growth potential
3. Less CNS fatigue
4. Less setup time

N.S.

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Aug 26, 2013
UK
It means greater than in this case.

Some of the reasons being:
1. Lower injury risk
2. More stability = more output = more growth potential
3. Less CNS fatigue
4. Less setup time
Awesome. Yes definitely looking to be as efficient as possible with CNS fatigue and TIME.

I'm lifting without a PT now for the first time, and at the risk of this coming across as rich people's problems (it basically is) I was actually thinking of hiring a trainer again just so I have someone to set up / tear down my bars and do my programming, saving me both time and thinking.

I have v good form (because I trained a bunch with a PT), but still minimising injury risk is a real thing as the consequence of injury will be super inconvenient.

And also a PT is going to want me to FEEL like I've worked, and so wants to tire me out - same psychology as to why washing up liquid / shampoo bubbles up and lathers - it doesn't need to in order to clean, but it makes us FEEL like it's doing something. Just highlighting a small but significant conflict of interest there (minimising CNS fatigue vs a PT 'proving' their worth).

It's a bit nuanced - and of course training with a competent PT is miles better than not training at all or training dangerously / haphazardly - but it is still sub-optimal for my goals (max results, with the least time and complexity possible) whereas what you've outlined seems like a better fit.

Anyway thanks for clarifying, much appreciated and I'm excited to move my training back to the machines!

Funky Monkey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 3, 2022
Love this post as a fellow fitness nerd.
Is this what you did to get to your physqiue or did you do more volume + higher calories? (Asking because I assume you wrote this post to completely maximize health and mental clarity rather than bodybuilding)

Last edited:

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Love this post as a fellow fitness nerd.
Is this what you did to get to your physqiue or did you do more volume + higher calories? (Asking because I assume you wrote this post to completely maximize health and mental clarity rather than bodybuilding)

I'm in the gym every other day at the moment with cardio on the off days. Just because I love to exercise and clearing my mind.

Volume was higher initially, but if I knew at the start what I knew now it would've been a lot less.

With calories, people go OTT with a surplus IMO. Why spend half the year fat and then half the year on a strict diet? If I had my time again I would've eaten around maintenance the whole way, which I've been doing for the last 3 years or so.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Awesome. Yes definitely looking to be as efficient as possible with CNS fatigue and TIME.

I'm lifting without a PT now for the first time, and at the risk of this coming across as rich people's problems (it basically is) I was actually thinking of hiring a trainer again just so I have someone to set up / tear down my bars and do my programming, saving me both time and thinking.

I have v good form (because I trained a bunch with a PT), but still minimising injury risk is a real thing as the consequence of injury will be super inconvenient.

And also a PT is going to want me to FEEL like I've worked, and so wants to tire me out - same psychology as to why washing up liquid / shampoo bubbles up and lathers - it doesn't need to in order to clean, but it makes us FEEL like it's doing something. Just highlighting a small but significant conflict of interest there (minimising CNS fatigue vs a PT 'proving' their worth).

It's a bit nuanced - and of course training with a competent PT is miles better than not training at all or training dangerously / haphazardly - but it is still sub-optimal for my goals (max results, with the least time and complexity possible) whereas what you've outlined seems like a better fit.

Anyway thanks for clarifying, much appreciated and I'm excited to move my training back to the machines!

You've nailed it. PTs job is mainly to get you to 'feel' like you've worked out or like you're getting results. Mostly that means doing sub optimal shit 99% of the time. Best of luck on your journey, feel free to reach out if you need help with anything.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
You've nailed it. PTs job is mainly to get you to 'feel' like you've worked out or like you're getting results. Mostly that means doing sub optimal shit 99% of the time. Best of luck on your journey, feel free to reach out if you need help with anything.
It’s also a big generalisation

Just find a good pt that can help you with your specific goals

I have mine for exactly the reasons he listed

They do my programming so I don’t have to think and they keep me accountable

Most pts are shit though

Oh good post by the way, really good. Definitely some food for thought in there. Am I training too much and fatiguing myself, and am I eating the right amount of carbs were my main takeaways.

I avoid a lot of foods and just stick to one’s that agree with me already, but I do wonder if it’s more the carb amounts than the foods I have a problem with.

Is it a good idea to get a blood sugar monitor or something? I can’t imagine the whoop bands and aura rings are much help? Maybe I underestimate them

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
The main 2 categories of people that need a personal trainer are:
  • beginners that don't know what they are doing and will get no results and/or injure themselves
  • elite athletes that need expert supervision to prevent them from training too hard and injuring themselves

The vast majority of personal trainers that offer their services to beginners are deliberately making everything as complex and as hard to understand as possible. They surround the simple act of training in a fog of mysticism and pseudo science.

100 different exercises with 100 different variations, every day looks different, custom rest time between exercises (sometimes measure in seconds), drop-sets, super-sets, up-sets, down-sets, everything-sets.

They make things as confusing as possible in order to keep you from learning how to do it yourself, because if that happens, you no longer need them and they are out of business.

The main role of a personal trainer should be to supervise your training so that you don't get injured, and log all your data (performance, training volume, body weight, fat %, bloodwork etc.) and make sure that you are making actual progress towards your goals.

Those people are very rare, and as a result they charge a premium $$$ for their services.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
It’s also a big generalisation

I have mine for exactly the reasons he listed

They do my programming so I don’t have to think and they keep me accountable

Most pts are shit though

Oh good post by the way, really good. Definitely some food for thought in there. Am I training too much and fatiguing myself, and am I eating the right amount of carbs were my main takeaways.

I avoid a lot of foods and just stick to one’s that agree with me already, but I do wonder if it’s more the carb amounts than the foods I have a problem with.

Is it a good idea to get a blood sugar monitor or something? I can’t imagine the whoop bands and aura rings are much help? Maybe I underestimate them

A CGM would be great. That way you can see how you react to foods and amounts (everyone has a different response) and you can correlate how you feel with levels. On top of this you will be able to see in hard data the effect of things like taking a 10 min walk post meal having a radical effect on blood sugar control (2x effective as diabetes drugs).

To give you a real example with my Oura. When I eat perfectly I get a HRV (heart rate variability - great metric for overall body stress) of 200. If I start eating foods that don't agree with me perfectly I instantly see the dip to 130/140. The more I punish my body the lower it goes. It's not perfect, but useful to have to bring awareness of your bodies response to food/drugs/alcohol etc.

Last edited:

N.S.

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Aug 26, 2013
UK
  • beginners that don't know what they are doing and will get no results and/or injure themselves
  • elite athletes that need expert supervision to prevent them from training too hard and injuring themselves

The vast majority of personal trainers that offer their services to beginners are deliberately making everything as complex and as hard to understand as possible. They surround the simple act of training in a fog of mysticism and pseudo science.

100 different exercises with 100 different variations, every day looks different, custom rest time between exercises (sometimes measure in seconds), drop-sets, super-sets, up-sets, down-sets, everything-sets.

They make things as confusing as possible in order to keep you from learning how to do it yourself, because if that happens, you no longer need them and they are out of business.

The main role of a personal trainer should be to supervise your training so that you don't get injured, and log all your data (performance, training volume, body weight, fat %, bloodwork etc.) and make sure that you are making actual progress towards your goals.

Those people are very rare, and as a result they charge a premium $$$ for their services.
I agree with you.

Not to disparage all PTs, there are definitely some good ones out there but I agree few and far between and if learning to lift I think it's almost critical to find a good one to teach good form, safety etc (same thing in yoga btw, an industry and world I'm immersed in - most yoga teachers teach unsafe stuff or just badly - but a few know their sh1t about anatomy, modern life and not being a judgemental d!ck or overcomplicating it).

Thinking back I was fortunate in that 1) I could afford a good one at the top of the UK price range and 2) I'm meticulous in screening / finding the right ppl so I found a triathlete with the body of a sprinter who has a degree in Biomechanical Sciences etc, and also an older guy (40ish) with half a brain as I don't want to be "bro'd" at by some 22 year old meathead.

If I didn't have those two, then it would be such a minefield. Which is why I like what @PureA is saying about using machines to limit injury risk (I appreciate the trade off might be a bit of peripheral muscle growth and motor skills growth).

Machines get a bad rap (mostly from PTs lol) but it'sALL about context and personal goals. Put it this way, I know how to lift properly with free weights and now I've gone back to machines because of that post. No ego about it, I just want max results optimised on both time spent and CNS fatigue/recovery.

N.S.

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Aug 26, 2013
UK
A CGM would be great. That way you can see how you react to foods and amounts (everyone has a different response) and you can correlate how you feel with levels. On top of this you will be able to see in hard data the effect of things like taking a 10 min walk post meal having a radical effect on blood sugar control (2x effective as diabetes drugs).

To give you a real example with my Oura. When I eat perfectly I get a HRV (heart rate variability - great metric for overall body stress) of 200. If I start eating foods that don't agree with me perfectly I instantly see the dip to 130/140. The more I punish my body the lower it goes. It's not perfect, but useful to have to bring awareness of your bodies response to food/drugs/alcohol etc.
Man I keep thanking you @PureA - this post reminded me to get a CGM for 30 days, super interested in the data both via that and how the implemented changes from it show up in my Oura data over time

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Machine > smith > DB > BB sounds counterintuitive and more risky than the reverse for people starting out.

I'd rather see someone start with with free weights so that they are building up stabilizing muscles at the same time. It sounds like it would be a worst-case scenario for someone to make gains on a machine and then make the shift to barbells - they are now full of imbalances on top of not learning proper form in the beginning, can increase risk of injury.

E.G., learning to bench the bar with proper form and then progressing to 135 is both safer and more efficient than getting to 200 on a machine and then shifting to say a 135 or 155 bench. Likewise, there's not much in terms of average gym machines that translates to how effective and efficient a free weight squat is.

Sure, a few sessions on machines and getting comfortable with the gym might be ok... But if someone is an absolute beginner with no foundation at all and no knowledge, they need a personal trainer, not a machine.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Machine > smith > DB > BB sounds counterintuitive and more risky than the reverse for people starting out.

I'd rather see someone start with with free weights so that they are building up stabilizing muscles at the same time. It sounds like it would be a worst-case scenario for someone to make gains on a machine and then make the shift to barbells - they are now full of imbalances on top of not learning proper form in the beginning, can increase risk of injury.

E.G., learning to bench the bar with proper form and then progressing to 135 is both safer and more efficient than getting to 200 on a machine and then shifting to say a 135 or 155 bench. Likewise, there's not much in terms of average gym machines that translates to how effective and efficient a free weight squat is.

Sure, a few sessions on machines and getting comfortable with the gym might be ok... But if someone is an absolute beginner with no foundation at all and no knowledge, they need a personal trainer, not a machine.
Around 1% of PTs are actually competent and thats being generous, additionally as a beginner distinguishing the difference is basically impossible.

What are these mysterious stabilising muscles that magically get worked when I touch a barbell but get 0 stimulation from a machine? and why is it good to train my 'stabiliser' muscles anyway? Take bench for example, stabilised by lats and rear delts. I train them directly already with 100x better stimulation.

People have used this statement to justify squat/bench/deadlift for years without any knowledge or background. I think there is this imaginary phenomenon where by using a machine vs a barbell for a bench press that I'd be left with a strong chest, triceps, shoulders, but 100s of weak 'stabilisers', and they might snap into 2 pieces at any moment. This just isn't the case. Get strong on a machine and stabilisers will be plenty strong.

Pasted from above we avoid barbells for the following:

1. Lower injury risk
2. More stability = more output = more growth potential (aka BETTER results)
3. Less CNS fatigue
4. Less setup time

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Around 1% of PTs are actually competent and thats being generous, additionally as a beginner distinguishing the difference is basically impossible.

What are these mysterious stabilising muscles that magically get worked when I touch a barbell but get 0 stimulation from a machine? and why is it good to train my 'stabiliser' muscles anyway? Take bench for example, stabilised by lats and rear delts. I train them directly already with 100x better stimulation.

People have used this statement to justify squat/bench/deadlift for years without any knowledge or background. I think there is this imaginary phenomenon where by using a machine vs a barbell for a bench press that I'd be left with a strong chest, triceps, shoulders, but 100s of weak 'stabilisers', and they might snap into 2 pieces at any moment. This just isn't the case. Get strong on a machine and stabilisers will be plenty strong.

Pasted from above we avoid barbells for the following:

1. Lower injury risk
2. More stability = more output = more growth potential (aka BETTER results)
3. Less CNS fatigue
4. Less setup time

The threshold for competence and success as a PT is as much as is needed to improve their clients' lives while mitigating the risk of injury. Not every small town PT needs an elite training background in order to help 63 year old Kathy maintain mobility and flexibility as she enters retirement; nor to help 18 year old fastlane hopeful Thomas understand proper form. As an aside, it's sort of short sighted to disregard 99% of their profession while pushing anecdotal, generalized advice.

The biggest risk with machines is creating muscular imbalances in the long term that increase the risk of injury. They don't mimic our body's natural movements. Getting to a 500 pound leg press is going to leave someone with a lot more training to 'catch up' other parts than getting to a 185 pound squat will.

I think it's fine that you largely avoid barbells (you do practice what you preach, right?) but ultimately:

1. Lower initial injury risk is offset by long term injury risk or more time training
2. The more stability = more output = more growth potential equation is a bit of a fallacy, isolation exercises aren't equal to compound movements and raw output isn't the only factor for sustainable growth
3. Less CNS fatigue is more of a factor of how you train, how often you train, and your diet and sleep
4. Less setup time is arguable because you can load up a squat rack with 2 plates much faster than you can load up a leg press with 8

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
The threshold for competence and success as a PT is as much as is needed to improve their clients' lives while mitigating the risk of injury. Not every small town PT needs an elite training background in order to help 63 year old Kathy maintain mobility and flexibility as she enters retirement; nor to help 18 year old fastlane hopeful Thomas understand proper form. As an aside, it's sort of short sighted to disregard 99% of their profession while pushing anecdotal, generalized advice.
I've spent 12 years in gyms everyday and I've seen 3 or 4 PTs that know what they're doing - not great odds. Taking your examples, the issue is that you learn a risky movement, incorrectly, for no upside, why would you do that?

Nothing is wrong with bench/dead/squat - they are great exercises. It's just that they've been preached religiously with little understanding and their are far better choices if you have options. Can these lifts get you to your goals? Sure. Are they they best choice? Not in 99.9% of cases.

The biggest risk with machines is creating muscular imbalances in the long term that increase the risk of injury. They don't mimic our body's natural movements. Getting to a 500 pound leg press is going to leave someone with a lot more training to 'catch up' other parts than getting to a 185 pound squat will.

Complete nonsense. If I use a chest press machine vs a bench press what muscular imbalances am I causing? With your leg press example, what are these mysterious unnamed 'other parts' that are going to have to catch up? They don't exist. If you leg press 500lbs, you are fine, you are strong. It's the same movement pattern, there is nothing magical (or natural) about having a 300lb barbell on your back. It's resistance loaded on the same movement pattern in a far safer way.

I think it's fine that you largely avoid barbells (you do practice what you preach, right?) but ultimately:

1. Lower initial injury risk is offset by long term injury risk or more time training
2. The more stability = more output = more growth potential equation is a bit of a fallacy, isolation exercises aren't equal to compound movements and raw output isn't the only factor for sustainable growth
3. Less CNS fatigue is more of a factor of how you train, how often you train, and your diet and sleep
4. Less setup time is arguable because you can load up a squat rack with 2 plates much faster than you can load up a leg press with 8

1. There is long term injury risk for picking safer movements? Hmm.
2. I'm not talking about isolations. I'm talking about machine chest press vs barbell bench press. The more stable your body, the more output it can give. It puts you a position to put more total work on the muscles you are trying to work = more growth (and less fatigue!)
3. CNS fatigue is generated by poor exercise choice and sub optimal programming. The term is stimulus to fatigue ratio. As an example... do a set of squats to near failure. Tell me how you feel? Now do a set of leg press to near failure. Way more stimulus for the quads with less than 50% of the fatigue of a heavy squat set.
4. I'm talking about jumping on a machine and putting a pin in correct weight vs loading and unloading heavy barbells constantly (for worse gains).

I completely empathise with your position, I would be having this same discussion 5 years ago.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I've been trying to cut for some time while also hitting the gym. Actually following the Kinobody program. It's been working great, when I actually follow it (I miss a lot of the workouts). My biggest issue recently has been that I've joined a swim team again and now I have no idea what my calories should be - it was easier to get my body fat lower when I was less active. Any tips on that?

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I've been trying to cut for some time while also hitting the gym. Actually following the Kinobody program. It's been working great, when I actually follow it (I miss a lot of the workouts). My biggest issue recently has been that I've joined a swim team again and now I have no idea what my calories should be - it was easier to get my body fat lower when I was less active. Any tips on that?

Kinobody is great.

Why do you miss workouts? Adherence is king, I'm happy to program something custom for you that you enjoy/like to ensure that you complete more workouts, these things add up over time.

You say you are more active but finding it harder to lose weight? How so? I wouldn't try to compensate for calories that you used swimming. The total is likely around a heaped spoon of peanut butter.

Let me know your height, weight, age and I can help you find an accurate calorie number to work off too.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Kinobody is great.

Why do you miss workouts? Adherence is king, I'm happy to program something custom for you that you enjoy/like to ensure that you complete more workouts, these things add up over time.

You say you are more active but finding it harder to lose weight? How so? I wouldn't try to compensate for calories that you used swimming. The total is likely around a heaped spoon of peanut butter.

Let me know your height, weight, age and I can help you find an accurate calorie number to work off too.
I don’t have a structured time and place that I do my workouts - sometimes I do them at home in my garage gym and sometimes at the actual gym, different days depending on what appointments and activities I have in the evenings, and this messes me up - now with swim training, another activity. Definitely a commitment issue!

Yes I find myself hungrier and eating more when I do more cardio. When I do less cardio, I can eat less and stick to a deficit. I’ll send you a message.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
I have a gym membership but working out at home saves me so much more time and there’s less hassle since I don’t have a car.

Can y’all critique my homemade Perchboy program?

The equipment I have is:
-2 adjustable dumbbells
- pull up bar
- dip bar
- 30 lb kettlebell
- resistance bands
- ab roller

A: Dips 8-12, skull crushers 3x8-12
B: dumbell rows 3x8-12, bicep curls 3x8-12
C: dumbell shoulder press 3x8-12, lateral raises 3x15-20
D: Bulgarian split squats 3x5-8, plank, ab roller

Thought I’d throw in a shoulder day since i got woman shoulders but I’m tryna look like Hercules.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jan 18, 2022

Can confirm. Started lifting a bit ago, and had to hire a temporary personal trainer to teach me exercises and form to ensure I didn't hurt myself. She tried so hard going out of her way to make everything convoluted. "Do this exercise! Oh but if you want to hit this 2in muscle on your tricep, do the same exercise, triple inverted while throwing Yoshi Eggs!"

Quickly got to the point of me having to sit down with her and say, "yeah, I understand you want a long-term client, but I ain't it. You can either accept that and take my 500$ to teach me what I need to know, or I'll simply replace you with someone that will."

After that, we worked together quite well for a few weeks, but she was still salty when I dipped.

I'll probably never hire a personal trainer again.

Cheers.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I have a gym membership but working out at home saves me so much more time and there’s less hassle since I don’t have a car.

The equipment I have is:
-2 adjustable dumbbells
- pull up bar
- dip bar
- 30 lb kettlebell
- resistance bands
- ab roller

Thought I’d throw in a shoulder day since i got woman shoulders but I’m tryna look like Hercules.

It's gonna be hard to make any progress with home equipment like that, it can be done, you're just making it harder on yourself.

If it takes you less than 30 mins to get to the gym, I would do that. 2-3x week is fine.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

The equipment I have is:
-2 adjustable dumbbells
- pull up bar
- dip bar
- 30 lb kettlebell
- resistance bands
- ab roller

It's gonna be hard to make any progress with home equipment like that, it can be done, you're just making it harder on yourself.

If it takes you less than 30 mins to get to the gym, I would do that. 2-3x week is fine.
The hardest part is going to be stopping every 5 minutes to un-jam those adjustable dumbbells.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
The hardest part is going to be stopping every 5 minutes to un-jam those adjustable dumbbells.
Working out at home is like trying to run a business on an iPad

John D.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Aug 26, 2016
What is the most efficient form of cardio I can include?

Like, which one gives you the biggest calorie burn for your time?

I've heard people rave about walking 10k steps a day, but man that's a lot of wasted time just walking. (I can easily hit that when I have some errands to run, though.)

Running makes my knees hurt on leg days so I try to include a bit of incline walking while at the gym.

Right now I'm 3 months deep into a cut and do 6 days a week PPL. Far from optimal, but I like staying in the habit of training every day.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
What is the most efficient form of cardio I can include?

Like, which one gives you the biggest calorie burn for your time?

I've heard people rave about walking 10k steps a day, but man that's a lot of wasted time just walking. (I can easily hit that when I have some errands to run, though.)

Running makes my knees hurt on leg days so I try to include a bit of incline walking while at the gym.

Right now I'm 3 months deep into a cut and do 6 days a week PPL. Far from optimal, but I like staying in the habit of training every day.
Stairmaster feels like the least effort:calorie burn ratio (ime).

But ultimately, the answer is to do whatever feels easiest to you. Some people love tennis, some swimming, me I love to run. Just pick what you find fun because you will end up doing more of that.

Also, note that you are never going to 'out-cardio' a shitty diet. When you realise that a half-hour run only gets you half a chocolate bar, you start to make different diet choices... or at least that's how I look at it.

Walking isn't to be dismissed, you'd likely find this time is highly useful for having business breakthroughs and destressing. I always have my best ideas during long cardio sessions/walks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.