The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Recommendations on a web developer?

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
I hope im not going against any of the forums guidelines but i am looking for a web site developer, cheap just to do a small project. We all know each other on here, this is a legitimate thing, i would much rather get services from people on this forum that outside of it. There is a great idea for you MJ, add a member only section of service providers, must be a active member for over a year in order to post services.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
yeah, I agree. I rather partner up with someone on this forum.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Erm, this is typically what a marketplace section is for.

If it got more use, there's plenty of user group functions in VB for options. Just clarifying that if more people use it, that would warrant time to set it up. At least that is my opinion if I had to do the work. (i.e. the people who OFFER services must start participating... matter of fact, I saw an opportunity yesterday here - the guy that does blog commenting)

PS- I'm not being hypocritical this time... I'll be using it for a new blog next month.

JBrown

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 15, 2009
creativeincrease.com

My buddy just started this and the guy's got talent. Definitely hit him up. Tell him JBrown sent you, he'll definitely take care of you

Let me know how it goes...

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
How about wildambitions? I believe she is doing installations and set up of blogs and websites.

Definitely support forum users.

HTH

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
My web design and development services are available (see sig line). I work with beginners mostly and help them learn it... Come ask me all the questions you want. I may not give you all the answers you wanna hear, but I will tell you like it is and offer you options. The choice is ALWAYS up to the customer. I am not going to try to convince you. You have to do your due diligence.

Mtnman - Thanks for the reminder.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
My web design and development services are available (see sig line). I work with beginners mostly and help them learn it... Come ask me all the questions you want. I may not give you all the answers you wanna hear, but I will tell you like it is and offer you options. The choice is ALWAYS up to the customer. I am not going to try to convince you. You have to do your due diligence.

Mtnman - Thanks for the reminder.

I can give 200 percent recommendation for this person! :D She helped me even when she shouldn't had to!

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
wildambitions seems like a cool girl. I also know that @johnnybtruant does WP setups for free on occasion when he's in the mood. Always worth a shot at contacting him. He's a stand up guy. He actually just did a set up for a reader of mine, and she loved it :)

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Do people really pay to have wordpress installed? Is this a joke? I can install wordpress in 3 minutes.
Oh yeah. Of course anyone can do it, but anyone can roof a house or clean their own dishes too, but why would you?

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
I think JLaw maybe evaluating the cost vs. time which in his/her case would be 1300 an hour, which is more than most pay for roofing or dishes.

If one doesn't know anything about wordpress and it takes you 20 hours to install it then it may make sense to hire it out.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
I think JLaw maybe evaluating the cost vs. time which in his/her case would be 1300 an hour, which is more than most pay for roofing or dishes.

If one doesn't know anything about wordpress and it takes you 20 hours to install it then it may make sense to hire it out.
If i'm understanding you...my point exactly. Most people don't even know what Wordpress is, much less what mysql is, how to create a database or anything. It can indeed be done quickly, but if you have no clue about how to do it, the prospect of setting it up yourself is daunting. It's funny because some people find it amazing that people charge to set it up, while I find it amazing that some people will do it for only a few bucks.

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
Windows or one of the *nix's? If one of the *nix's, would that 5 minute install be from a graphical interface, like Cpanel, et al or command line? MySQL setup using phpMyAdmin from Cpanel or command line? It may be 3 to 5 minutes. Depending on knowledge and experience or it may be just a little longer.

So pricing may vary ;)

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Do people really pay to have wordpress installed? Is this a joke? I can install wordpress in 3 minutes.

Yes people pay for installations.
No, it is not a joke.
Congrats on knowing how to do something that many cannot, don't have time for or do not care to know how to do. (On the side of humor, perhaps you should go work for WordPress as it seems you can beat their time by 2 minutes.)

This thread is looking for web developers. I develop WP websites and blogs... I am available. And I am more than fair. I will be the first to tell you it is easy if you take the time to learn (as is true with almost everything). I will even guide you to find out how to do it yourself.

My real service is customer service. I am in the business of people. I offer much more than just installations. And as rxcknrxll has made abundantly clear - I obviously could be charging MUCH more for those - as well as for the other services that I offer. But I don't, by choice. And it is my choice.

JLaw

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 3, 2008
Bay Area | Hong Kong
Thanks but no thanks. Jobs are for sheeps. If someone doesn't know how to install WP, they should not even start in the first place. I am dumbfounded by how many people think writing a blog will make them thousand of dollars a month when in reality we know that's not the case.

You develop WP websites and blogs? Like SEO them onto first page for them? It's not hard to find information on the internet nowadays, you can pretty much find anything, anywhere even if you don't know HTML/PHP. It doesn't take a genius to read and research. If one does not have the time to learn, they have no reason to even start. It's like wanting to drive a Porsche, but have no intention to learn how to drive a sports car. But I guess some people are content with mediocrity.

Still mind boggling why anyone would pay to learn how to run a site. I can see if you offer SEO services or teach them how to drive traffic to their site. But developing a site? You might as well hold their hands forever.

Back to the original point of this post. JoeyBiz, I have a designer and coder who I outsourced all my work to so I can focus on the business aspects. I can send you his information, he does quality stuff for me. PM me if you're interested.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Thanks but no thanks. Jobs are for sheeps. If someone doesn't know how to install WP, they should not even start in the first place. I am dumbfounded by how many people think writing a blog will make them thousand of dollars a month when in reality we know that's not the case.

You develop WP websites and blogs? Like SEO them onto first page for them? It's not hard to find information on the internet nowadays, you can pretty much find anything, anywhere even if you don't know HTML/PHP. It doesn't take a genius to read and research. If one does not have the time to learn, they have no reason to even start. It's like wanting to drive a Porsche, but have no intention to learn how to drive a sports car. But I guess some people are content with mediocrity.

Still mind boggling why anyone would pay to learn how to run a site. I can see if you offer SEO services or teach them how to drive traffic to their site. But developing a site? You might as well hold their hands forever.

Back to the original point of this post. JoeyBiz, I have a designer and coder who I outsourced all my work to so I can focus on the business aspects. I can send you his information, he does quality stuff for me. PM me if you're interested.

What is your problem? Wet panties in a bundle? :bartmoon: <--- try that

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas

I agree that it's simple to install WP or many other CMS programs. Her clients just prefer not to invest time learning web development, no matter how petty others consider it. Like you, they would rather spend their time pursuing other priorities (running a business). I think a large part of it is that people feel intimidated by what they aren't familiar with.

I can fly an airplane. It’s really not that difficult and requires little more than driving a car. You could even learn how to fly on the internet. Does that mean that everyone who has ever flown on an airplane is foolish because they choose not to learn how to do it? Many just prefer to enjoy the flight and arrive at their destination.

It sounds as though you have a natural aptitude for computers. That's great. Wild Ambitions has just found a niche of people who don't want to deal with it.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Nothing like looking like an a**hole JLaw!

I've developed scripts that install and configure wordpress automatically, many many of them in 3 minutes. But i wouldn't ever second guess that there is an opportunity out there to teach new folks how to configure, install and use wordpress. You may know because you have worked with it, i can guarantee you weren't born with that knowledge.

Sometimes i pay for simple things from people that know more than me, that's how i kick off a learning cycle. I dissect what they did and its a great foundation to start from.

Why not trying to help folks that may not know as much as you, rather than trying to make it seem like you are above all?

People weren't born with the knowledge of how to install wordpress... WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO!

:)

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
Hey JLaw, put on your fireproof suit.

You're going to get toasted for bashing a long time, quality, forum member.

She has taken a job/career change and turned it into an e-business/internet opportunity by helping clients, without the technical knowledge or that don't want to spend the time, to have an online presence.

She has shifted gears in her approach to the fastlane. Moving from a capital and labor intensive vacation property management business to a webhosting, site development and blogging setup/training business.

Kudos to Wild!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Still mind boggling why anyone would outside design and coding and pay for that and not do it themselves!!!:coco:

You can install WP so why can't you do other things too and outsource it? Huh? Isn't people hiring someone to install WP outsourcing it so that they could focus on business just like you?? Think about it!:smxB:

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If someone doesn't know how to install WP, they should not even start in the first place. I am dumbfounded by how many people think writing a blog will make them thousand of dollars a month when in reality we know that's not the case.

The logic doesn't sound right. Does that mean you should not start your own business, since you have no idea what to do at beginning? YES. There are people out there making 50K+ a month buy running just blogs. It's not very common, but it apply to every type of businesses.

Still mind boggling why anyone would pay to learn how to run a site.

It's the same question as Why do you pay someone to outsource your tasks?

People don't know what they don't know. Time is more important than money. If they can save time and get job done right. Why not.

Obviously, you have no idea what blog is.

We are all here to help other members succeed, not the other way.

:wtf:

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Hey ya'all - Though I appreciate the support (an even the negativity, for how I can learn from it) let's not HiJack this thread.

Back to the real question that was originally posted here.

i am looking for a web site developer, cheap just to do a small project. We all know each other on here, this is a legitimate thing, i would much rather get services from people on this forum that outside of it.

The keywords I took from this were ON THIS FORUM.

JoeyBiz,
Andviv also does development too. I have worked with him and he has been a gracious mentor.

JLaw

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 3, 2008
Bay Area | Hong Kong
I agree with all your valid points. Case closed. If there were 30 hours a day instead of 24, perhaps I wouldn't have to outsource. But I do enjoy some sleep. I was merely arguing the fact that developing a site requires not only the business aspect but dedicating an enormous amount of time. If someone doesn't even have the time to put in, they shouldn't be trying to run a website. Let alone installing something like wordpress. And learning how to fly an airplane requires a lot more than 5 minutes of your time I would assume. Not including the time you have to get a license, etc.

Sure John Chow makes 30K a month off his blog, but that's because he's making money off the people who just want to make a quick buck off the internet.

Everyone should know, posting links on the internet wouldn't get you anywhere, but those scams work because most people are inherently lazy. Same thing with the Acai Berries scam, people think taking a little pill will help you lose weight, when all they should do is eat healthier and exercise but they don't.

I guess I'm just not suited for the service industry like Wild Ambitions, takes a whole different level of attitude and commitment. Props to you, and best of luck with the wordpress installations and website developments.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Yes people pay for installations.
No, it is not a joke.
Congrats on knowing how to do something that many cannot, don't have time for or do not care to know how to do. (On the side of humor, perhaps you should go work for WordPress as it seems you can beat their time by 2 minutes.)

This thread is looking for web developers. I develop WP websites and blogs... I am available. And I am more than fair. I will be the first to tell you it is easy if you take the time to learn (as is true with almost everything). I will even guide you to find out how to do it yourself.

My real service is customer service. I am in the business of people. I offer much more than just installations. And as rxcknrxll has made abundantly clear - I obviously could be charging MUCH more for those - as well as for the other services that I offer. But I don't, by choice. And it is my choice.

You should charge more if you're working with them one on one. I found people value your time more when you value it more first. I don't mean to sound like an a$$; just trying to be helpful. If you work with a lot of clients, you no doubt get your fair share of tools who jerk you around. It happens way less when you double your fees. It becomes almost no-existent when you double them again. As you said, it's your choice...just offering my unsolicited advice ;)

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space

there's a huge difference between having access to information and having a proven system of making sense of everything dude. Call me crazy, but if wildambitions is getting paid regularly to set up WP and has a lot of happy clients, her success speaks for itself ;)

Running a business doesn't mean knowing how to do every single thing. I would never design my own graphics for example. and yes i still call myself an internet marketer! Yes, I have an internet connection and have access to all the photoshop tutorials, and I also value my time enough to understand it takes months...if not years to actually master it. I happily pay a pro to design stuff for me.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
I agree with all your valid points. Case closed. If there were 30 hours a day instead of 24, perhaps I wouldn't have to outsource. But I do enjoy some sleep. I was merely arguing the fact that developing a site requires not only the business aspect but dedicating an enormous amount of time. If someone doesn't even have the time to put in, they shouldn't be trying to run a website. Let alone installing something like wordpress. And learning how to fly an airplane requires a lot more than 5 minutes of your time I would assume. Not including the time you have to get a license, etc.

Sure John Chow makes 30K a month off his blog, but that's because he's making money off the people who just want to make a quick buck off the internet.

Everyone should know, posting links on the internet wouldn't get you anywhere, but those scams work because most people are inherently lazy. Same thing with the Acai Berries scam, people think taking a little pill will help you lose weight, when all they should do is eat healthier and exercise but they don't.

I guess I'm just not suited for the service industry like Wild Ambitions, takes a whole different level of attitude and commitment. Props to you, and best of luck with the wordpress installations and website developments.

I dig your attitude man. I'm actually not much of a service guy myself. consulting is a great way to make some bucks when you're getting started, and i know many die hard consultants who are great and just like doing it. not me. I am making products. Leverage is key.

lightweight99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 13, 2009
Kentucky
creativeincrease.com

My buddy just started this and the guy's got talent. Definitely hit him up. Tell him JBrown sent you, he'll definitely take care of you

Let me know how it goes...

Great post. I have been talking with mindsmack for quite awhile but I am quite impressed with his work. I sent him a few e-mails yesterday and decided to use him instead.

Thanks!:fastlane:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.