• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Real estate or Entrepreneurship ?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Guest60753, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Guest60753

Guest60753 Guest

Rep Bank:
    $
    Hi!

After reading an article (in French for those who wants: Devenir rentier : La stratégie la plus efficace), a question is in my mind.

Although sometimes discussed on this forum, I did not see any topic entirely devoted to.

Here it is:
    In my case, and aiming for financial freedom, which strategy do you think is the more effective ?

- real estate investment with leverage of the bank
    - Entrepreneurship + investment of the profits

MY SITUATION

- 3rd year Physiotherapist's student
    - Owner of a company in the e-commerce field, generating about 5k euros of profits monthly.
    - No debt
    - Salary envisaged: 2500-3000e / month

So I have several choices available to me:

- Creation of a physiotherapy / health center
    This choice is interesting, but due to many constraints imposed on us as physiotherapists in France, I am not sure that it is the best one. I leave it anyway if someone has experience in this sector.

- Job + Real Estate Investment
    As a physiotherapist, we can expect a good salary, if practiced in the private sector, to be able to think about real estate investment with credit and use the leverage of banks, to live only from the cashflow.

- The creation of an online business
    This choice is also interesting because of the results I currently have. But the world of online entrepreneurship is much less stable than the offline one or real estate one.
    On the other hand, rapid growth is achievable, much less restricted than in the world of health.
    The skills that this choice brings up are also extremely interesting: The ability to create income from all around the world, quickly and with almost no money.

Also note that working on his business is, in my opinion, much more interesting than the alternative job + real estate, and allows to be free more quickly.

What are your opinions/experiences about it ?

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Rémi

Xeon likes this.
  2. Sebastya

Sebastya Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $2,432
    Can you do real estate + online business?

Get Right likes this.
  3. Guest60753

Guest60753 Guest

Rep Bank:
    $
    Thanks for your reply!

Well, it's hard. As you may know, owning a business takes 95% of your time.

Xeon and Get Right like this.
  4. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,437
    Saying you want to do real estate is like saying you want to be an entrepreneur -- it doesn't really mean much without a specific strategy behind it. Instead of thinking of real estate as a way to get rich/wealthy, I would suggest instead to think about your goals first, and then figure out the right strategies to use to achieve those specific goals.

For example, let's say your goal is to generate $100,000/year in relatively passive cash flow in the next 5 years. To do that, you need to select a type of asset that generates monthly or annual cash flow. That asset could be a business, it could be lending, it could be a dividend-paying equity, it could be rental real estate, etc.

Let's say you choose for your passive cash flow asset vehicle to be rental real estate. And let's say that you think you can generate 10% cash-on-cash return from the real estate you purchase. If you want to earn $100,000/year in cash flow at 10% cash-on-cash returns after 5 years, you would need to have invested $1M in cash.

Next, you need to decide on your active strategy to generate that $1M in cash. Again, you have lots of investment vehicles to choose from. You can start a business, you can become a consultant, you can create intellectual property, you can do active real estate (like flipping houses), etc.

Let's say you choose for your active strategy to be real estate again as well. And you choose to flip houses to generate the income. You've determined that you need to generate $1M in cash over 5 years, or an average of $200,000 per year. Let's say you think you can generate $25,000 per flip (after taxes) -- you need to flip 8 properties per year to generate $200,000 per year, which will generate $1M in five years, which will generate $100,000/year in relatively passive income.

See what we did there? We didn't start with, "Should I do real estate or business?"

We started with, "Where am I trying to get to? And how can I get there?"

In my example, you used real estate for both your active and your passive vehicles. But, you didn't have to. You could have chosen from plenty of non-real estate vehicles as well. Or you could have chosen different real estate vehicles than the ones I mentioned above.

Now, to decide what the vehicles should be, you need to ask yourself these types of questions:

- What am I good at?
    - What do I enjoy?
    - How much time do I have?
    - How much capital do I have?
    - What is my level of risk tolerance?
    - Where am I willing to live?
    - Etc...

Once you consider those things, certain active and/or passive financial vehicles will no longer be a good option (for example, if you hate construction, flipping houses is probably not a good undertaking). And others may start to look like much better options.

But, long story short, figure out where you want to be, figure out the options that will get you there, and then select the options that best fit you, your skills, your interests, your experience, your background, you situation, etc.

ProblemOd, Andy Black, Xeon and 15 others like this.
  5. Guest60753

Guest60753 Guest

Rep Bank:
    $
    Hello Jscott,

Thank you so much for this wonderful answer.

It gives me a lot of food for thoughts.

I'll follow your advices and redefine precisely my goals.

Again, thank you so much.

Have a nice day!

Rémi

UnrealCreative likes this.
  6. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,682
    [​IMG]

Xeon and Guest60753 like this.
  7. Envision

Envision Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $22,913
    I do all three. Work your job and live off it, build your business and invest the profits back in, and buy real estate.

The business taking up your time is not an excuse.

Build around it.

Xeon, Guest60753, Roz and 1 other person like this.
  8. Guest60753

Guest60753 Guest

Rep Bank:
    $
    It's very interesting, I also came to the conclusion of doing both.
    Real estate investing with leverage of the bank is a way to acquire patrimony for almost free.

Even if entrepreneurship is more risky and leave more people on the table, it has way more potential.

Thank you so much for your answers!

Envision likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.