The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ready to cash out my savings bonds

Anything related to investing, including crypto

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
Hey guys! Long time no see.

I'll get right into it: I have around $800 in savings bonds and I'm wanting to cash them out and invest in gold (tangible).

Any thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
I agree. I could invest an even $1000. The point is that my savings bonds aren't gaining much interest at all, and gold it probably a better investment; even if it's just 1k.

BTW, that is the amount with interest adjusted, not face value.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I'm afraid gold is currently $1,560 at the moment. You could always buy silver if you'd like though since it's at $48. I view both as wealth preservers rather than wealth builders.

andrewsemi

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 2, 2011
Bellevue, WA
I agree with most people that responded. $800 dollars is not enough to invest in gold. you will have less than .5 oz.

It is a great preserver. I was thinking about this before and although I am already saving 10% of my income. I will continue doing that but instead of stashing the cash under the mattress, I will invest in gold. If the economy crashes and US dollar is worthless I will still have gold. As the saying goes "hope for the best, Prepare for the worst"

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
What is the saying about if the delivery man is talking about buying, it is time to be selling?

$1k would get a good head start on an online company.....then you could start creating your own gold......

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What is the saying about if the delivery man is talking about buying, it is time to be selling?

Ha Ha ... I just bought put options on Silver. (Which is a bet the price starts going down) ... of course, this is just a short-term view ... overall, I view any hard asset a good investment as the dollar continues its plunge to worthlessness.

In response to the OP, I'd keep the money and invest in a Fastlane business unless you figure out the trading algorithm of the century which will turn $800 into $8 million.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Ha Ha ... I just bought put options on Silver. (Which is a bet the price starts going down) ... of course, this is just a short-term view ... overall, I view any hard asset a good investment as the dollar continues its plunge to worthlessness.

In response to the OP, I'd keep the money and invest in a Fastlane business unless you figure out the trading algorithm of the century which will turn $800 into $8 million.

Lol that's great MJ, I've been kicking that idea around for a few days. How far out did you go? I was thinking 6months or so personally.

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
Ohh I got it.

I will buy MJ's book, then invest the rest in silver until I figure out what to do with it.

ADD sidenote: My SCUBA instructor found a silver bullion (the big bar of silver) while diving where in my city (in the Gulf of Mexico).

Maybe I should ask exactly where he found it :smxF:

Kfleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 29, 2011
Philadelphia PA
My SCUBA instructor found a silver bullion (the big bar of silver) while diving where in my city (in the Gulf of Mexico).

Maybe I should ask exactly where he found it :smxF:

Probably in the Keys.. Mel Fisher found $400 million in treasure off of there back in the 1980s. If you visit they have a whole museum and shops where you can buy some of the actual pieces they found - Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Society

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.