The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reading books

Anything related to matters of the mind

Mizeerio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 16, 2021
In reading books, I find that reading and rereading is useless, do you guys read in a certain way to maximize the profit off your read?
Note: I already have my own understanding way, but I am looking to learn more from you guys.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Cross referencing. When it comes to non-fiction there is overlap between the books.

I love "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People", because it provides the perfect frame.
Basics of Leadership, Management, Execution, Marketing, Negotiating, Collaborating and Improving are all covered on a high level.
Other high level books like "The Art of War" add another layer on top of a few of those areas.
Other books are really detailed and cover a very specific aspect of those fields.

This helps with retention, because the facts don't have to stand on their own.
It also helps with creativity if you get in the habit of zooming out and coming up with your own theories to test.

Rockeez

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Apr 9, 2021
In reading books, I find that reading and rereading is useless, do you guys read in a certain way to maximize the profit off your read?
Note: I already have my own understanding way, but I am looking to learn more from you guys.
I believe the more you learn is the more you earn. I have made reading of books everyday part of my schedule especially for someone like me who is not privileged to attend college. So whatever book I see that can develop me I read it

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Reading books changed my life.

Up to age 28 I didn't read about 1 book per year.

Now I read and listen to about 40 to 50 books per year.

Mike Ronin

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jul 18, 2019
Coastal Alabama
Reading books changed my life.

Up to age 28 I didn't read about 1 book per year.

Now I read and listen to about 40 to 50 books per year.
This.

I began reading seriously about 45 years ago now (I'm old) and it is one of the best things I have ever done. It opens up an entirely new world. I am constantly reading at least one and often two books at once, as well as listening to quality podcasts when I'm in the car. I call it my rolling university. Investing in yourself is one of the best things you can do, IMO.

seraphine

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
May 14, 2021
Nowadays I rely largely on digital books, so I highlight in them, take notes, and screenshot important passages, and then I review my notes from time to time.

Mizeerio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 16, 2021
I think i did not make it clear.
How do you guys increase your understanding of the content you read and apply it in your life?
I hope you can understand me now.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Everybody here offered their take on that. Cross referencing, making reading a habit / reading a lot, highlights in digital copies etc.

You never asked about how we apply things we read in our lives. And it depends too much on the content, so the quesion is too generic.
On a high level there is rapid skill acquisition, Eisenhower's Urgent/Important Matrix (once you figure out your mission), ways to change your habits ... or it could be really specific when we talk about cooking and recipes.

Can you narrow it down? What exactly are you interested in?

Mizeerio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 16, 2021
Everybody here offered their take on that. Cross referencing, making reading a habit / reading a lot, highlights in digital copies etc.

You never asked about how we apply things we read in our lives. And it depends too much on the content, so the quesion is too generic.
On a high level there is rapid skill acquisition, Eisenhower's Urgent/Important Matrix (once you figure out your mission), ways to change your habits ... or it could be really specific when we talk about cooking and recipes.

Can you narrow it down? What exactly are you interested in?
It's okay, it doesn't matter to me as I figured a way out.
Thanks to you, Andreas and everybody for your answers.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany