The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Reading books

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Mizeerio

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jul 16, 2021
In reading books, I find that reading and rereading is useless, do you guys read in a certain way to maximize the profit off your read?
Note: I already have my own understanding way, but I am looking to learn more from you guys.

Andreas Thiel

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Cross referencing. When it comes to non-fiction there is overlap between the books.

I love "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People", because it provides the perfect frame.
Basics of Leadership, Management, Execution, Marketing, Negotiating, Collaborating and Improving are all covered on a high level.
Other high level books like "The Art of War" add another layer on top of a few of those areas.
Other books are really detailed and cover a very specific aspect of those fields.

This helps with retention, because the facts don't have to stand on their own.
It also helps with creativity if you get in the habit of zooming out and coming up with your own theories to test.

Rockeez

New Contributor
Apr 9, 2021
In reading books, I find that reading and rereading is useless, do you guys read in a certain way to maximize the profit off your read?
Note: I already have my own understanding way, but I am looking to learn more from you guys.
I believe the more you learn is the more you earn. I have made reading of books everyday part of my schedule especially for someone like me who is not privileged to attend college. So whatever book I see that can develop me I read it

Mike Ronin

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 18, 2019
Reading books changed my life.

Up to age 28 I didn't read about 1 book per year.

Now I read and listen to about 40 to 50 books per year.
This.

I began reading seriously about 45 years ago now (I'm old) and it is one of the best things I have ever done. It opens up an entirely new world. I am constantly reading at least one and often two books at once, as well as listening to quality podcasts when I'm in the car. I call it my rolling university. Investing in yourself is one of the best things you can do, IMO.

seraphine

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 14, 2021
Nowadays I rely largely on digital books, so I highlight in them, take notes, and screenshot important passages, and then I review my notes from time to time.

Mizeerio

New Contributor
Jul 16, 2021
I think i did not make it clear.
How do you guys increase your understanding of the content you read and apply it in your life?
I hope you can understand me now.

Andreas Thiel

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Everybody here offered their take on that. Cross referencing, making reading a habit / reading a lot, highlights in digital copies etc.

You never asked about how we apply things we read in our lives. And it depends too much on the content, so the quesion is too generic.
On a high level there is rapid skill acquisition, Eisenhower's Urgent/Important Matrix (once you figure out your mission), ways to change your habits ... or it could be really specific when we talk about cooking and recipes.

Can you narrow it down? What exactly are you interested in?

Mizeerio

New Contributor
Jul 16, 2021
Everybody here offered their take on that. Cross referencing, making reading a habit / reading a lot, highlights in digital copies etc.

You never asked about how we apply things we read in our lives. And it depends too much on the content, so the quesion is too generic.
On a high level there is rapid skill acquisition, Eisenhower's Urgent/Important Matrix (once you figure out your mission), ways to change your habits ... or it could be really specific when we talk about cooking and recipes.

Can you narrow it down? What exactly are you interested in?
It's okay, it doesn't matter to me as I figured a way out.
Thanks to you, Andreas and everybody for your answers.

Andreas Thiel

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Why start a thread?

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Yo! In 24 hours my Udemy courses go bye bye.. (for real this time) Gotta make way for...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Hi Guys! Just wanted to chime in and say that I am a part of Fox's Web School program. Though I...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any update? Hey bud! When I can squeeze out the time to work, it's been going pretty well...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
MARKETPLACE Entrepreneur's Toolbox: Company Formation, Virtual Mailbox, Registered Agent, Remote Online Notary
Appreciating the transparency and lack of hidden fees. The website is very up-front and user...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom