The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Just a funny random thought I figured might help someone here.

Want personal development on steroids?

Get into what’s called metacognition .

It simply means rising above your own mind and practicing awareness, understanding and analysis to your own thinking. Same strategy intelligence analysts over at the CIA, FBI and DEA use.

Tons of resources on this discipline and method.

The funny part is that out of all the self help books, gurus and courses out there in the wild. Not once has it ever been mentioned. Never. And yet it’s the number one thing that will help you get out of your shitty mind set(if you suffer from one).

“Intelligence analysts should be self-conscious about their reasoning processes. They should think about how they make judgments and reach conclusions, not just about the judgments and conclusions themselves.”

“Analysts construct their own version of “reality” on the basis of information provided by the senses, but this sensory input is mediated by complex mental processes that determine which information is attended to, how it is organized, and the meaning attributed to it. What people perceive, how readily they perceive it, and how they process this information after receiving it are all strongly influenced by past experience, edu- cation, cultural values, role requirements, and organizational norms, as well as by the specifics of the information received.“

-the psychology of intelligence analysis by Richards j. Heuer, CIA veteran

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
I have a homeless friend.
We have this thing going where she joins me on my morning/night walks at around 3 AM and we chat a little bit. Which is quite funny, since she doesn't speak my language and I don't understand a single word of her jibberish. But despite the language barrier, we get along really well.
I've had invited her into my home a few times, but she declined every time.
Maybe she doesn't want to be a burden, or maybe she had made bad experiences with
"nice people" in the past.
Who knows. I don't wanna be too pushy.

Anyway... a few months ago, she was suddenly gone without a trace.
I checked the places where we've met in the past. Nothing.
Asked other people who could've seen her. Nothing.
Did she get her shit together and got herself a roof over her head?
Or did something bad happen to her?
I was worried, and not a single day went by without me thinking about her.

Yesterday, after many nights of walking alone, I finally bumped into her again.
I was just standing there on the street, stargazing and catching my breath after a set of pushups.
When suddenly she rushed at me out of the shadows and gave me an enthusiastic greeting.
Totally caught me off guard.
After a long hug and an exchange of words neither of us understood, we went for a walk.
It was as if she was never gone.
I still have no idea where she was, and while I'm curious, it doesn't really matter.
I'm just happy she's alive and well.
Grateful for every second I get to spend with her.
And since she shuns most people, honoured, to be her friend.
That fluffy little purr machine.
Cutest cat I've ever met.

Knuffix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 25, 2014
Don't think this warrants a full thread but just came across a real anti-productocracy as described in the "radio advertising" example in Unscripted .

There's a mobile game called "Raid Shadow Legends" which has become infamous for their aggressive Youtube advertising & Influencer marketing to the point that it has become a meme on Youtube.

From what I've seen so far the game is total crap and massively pay-to-win.

Here's them getting caught in a huge lie:

A glaring example of what not to do when you have deep pockets and want to promote your product.

They seem to be currently paying influencers a fixed promotion sum + up to 60$ per game installation.

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
I just discovered the series My War by Trasher Magazine. Each video shows a skater land a big trick for a magazine cover. Normally you'd only see the cover (the success), but this series show all the failed attempts and the dedication it takes before you have that one success.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-zYVtwaGCo

This one is especially crazy. He travels 27 times to the spot to try his trick, taking the bus for 6 hours each time.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHASYE2e5Xo

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I have a homeless friend.
We have this thing going where she joins me on my morning/night walks at around 3 AM and we chat a little bit. Which is quite funny, since she doesn't speak my language and I don't understand a single word of her jibberish. But despite the language barrier, we get along really well.
I've had invited her into my home a few times, but she declined every time.
Maybe she doesn't want to be a burden, or maybe she had made bad experiences with
"nice people" in the past.
Who knows. I don't wanna be too pushy.

Anyway... a few months ago, she was suddenly gone without a trace.
I checked the places where we've met in the past. Nothing.
Asked other people who could've seen her. Nothing.
Did she get her shit together and got herself a roof over her head?
Or did something bad happen to her?
I was worried, and not a single day went by without me thinking about her.

Yesterday, after many nights of walking alone, I finally bumped into her again.
I was just standing there on the street, stargazing and catching my breath after a set of pushups.
When suddenly she rushed at me out of the shadows and gave me an enthusiastic greeting.
Totally caught me off guard.
After a long hug and an exchange of words neither of us understood, we went for a walk.
It was as if she was never gone.
I still have no idea where she was, and while I'm curious, it doesn't really matter.
I'm just happy she's alive and well.
Grateful for every second I get to spend with her.
And since she shuns most people, honoured, to be her friend.
That fluffy little purr machine.
Cutest cat I've ever met.
This is the kind of wholesomeness we all need

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Don’t get me wrong it always starts out really good. I love helping ppl. I love being a friend. I don’t mind being a sounding board or a cheerleader or... just a kind person for people with 10x my experience, education, or money.. but ffs I need to figure out how to get paid for it. Sheesh.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Has anybody been to a gas station lately and seen a sign posted saying something to the effect of “Federal reserve coin shortage please pay with card”?

I mentioned earlier that this pandemic would ignite a push towards cashless by saying physical money spreads the virus or any other bs excuse.

I think for the first time in my life as a millennial, I just don’t trust nor have faith in the system.

The good thing about this pandemic if there is one is that it reveals and exposes the parts of our economic, political and monetary system that are need of dire change. And just how much power they have over us.

It got me thinking. Even if we got rid of the federal reserve and the US government issued its own debt free money. It would be just as corrupt anyways. People and banks will get their hands on it and hoard it like they did with gold.

Even though bitcoin can work as a currency I don’t get paid in bitcoin. I can’t pay my taxes with it nor my mortgage and groceries. Plus it’s infested with gamblers and people who don’t understand it.

Just a random rant. Just sad all around seeing this once great country destroyed. And the uncertainty of it future.

:(

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Has anybody been to a gas station lately and seen a sign posted saying something to the effect of “Federal reserve coin shortage please pay with card”?

I mentioned earlier that this pandemic would ignite a push towards cashless by saying physical money spreads the virus or any other bs excuse.

I think for the first time in my life as a millennial, I just don’t trust nor have faith in the system.

The good thing about this pandemic if there is one is that it reveals and exposes the parts of our economic, political and monetary system that are need of dire change. And just how much power they have over us.

It got me thinking. Even if we got rid of the federal reserve and the US government issued its own debt free money. It would be just as corrupt anyways. People and banks will get their hands on it and hoard it like they did with gold.

Even though bitcoin can work as a currency I don’t get paid in bitcoin. I can’t pay my taxes with it nor my mortgage and groceries. Plus it’s infested with gamblers and people who don’t understand it.

Just a random rant. Just sad all around seeing this once great country destroyed. And the uncertainty of it future.

:(

Some places didn't accept cash in Canada for a bit, here's something that really ticked me off, I went to the bank to withdraw money, it made the money counting sound everyone loves brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr for a couple minutes and no money came out. And just yesterday I went to my other bank (2 accounts) and tried to make a withdrawal and it wouldn't let me. That *really* pissed me off, what irritates me even more is I pay a monthly fee and I can't even access MY OWN MONEY?

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
it made the money counting sound everyone loves brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr for a couple minutes and no money came out.

Same thing with Bank of America. I think the California unemployment program uses them. The amount of money they have pumped into this economy is unbelievable.

I walked into a Bank of America the other day and wanted to withdrawal $20k. Which by the way really isn’t that much money lol. They asked why I wanted that much and I said it was private. I had to order the money because supposedly they don’t have any cash lol. My guess in the meantime it gives them some time to see if that money is not in your account by mistake and to report it to the IRS.

But yeah, we have zero rights and privacy.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Same thing with Bank of America. I think the California unemployment program uses them. The amount of money they have pumped into this economy is unbelievable.

I walked into a Bank of America the other day and wanted to withdrawal $20k. Which by the way really isn’t that much money lol. They asked why I wanted that much and I said it was private. I had to order the money because supposedly they don’t have any cash lol. My guess in the meantime it gives them some time to see if that money is not in your account by mistake and to report it to the IRS.

But yeah, we have zero rights and privacy.
Banks asking what YOU need YOUR money for is a major peeve of mine. Maybe I want to stuff my walls and mattress with cash? Perhaps throw it into the ocean? Buy crack cocaine and Who cares. It’s not anyone’s business but mine.

And even if I was doing something nefarious with the money, what makes the bank think I would answer honestly?

I had to bail a buddy out of jail some years ago. His bail was set at like $500. I head down the police station and the cop at the counter informs me that it’s cash bail. I say okay. He tells me it’s $500. Again I tell him no problem. He’s all perplexed I had the cash on me. Why are you carrying so much cash? Did you have other plans with that money?

Like what the F*ck. It’s $500.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Banks asking what YOU need YOUR money for is a major peeve of mine. Maybe I want to stuff my walls and mattress with cash? Perhaps throw it into the ocean? Buy crack cocaine and Who cares. It’s not anyone’s business but mine.

Lol back then you used to be able to arrive at a Florida airport from Colombia with a suitcase full of cash and no questions asked. Now with stuff like civil asset forfeiture the government can confiscate the money all without a court order. Just goes to show that piece of paper in your pocket really isn’t “yours” but a hidden participation in a wizard of oz financial system controlled by government and banks.

These days I wouldnt dare travel with a few Gs.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Lol back then you used to be able to arrive at a Florida airport from Colombia with a suitcase full of cash and no questions asked. Now with stuff like civil asset forfeiture the government can confiscate the money all without a court order. Just goes to show that piece of paper in your pocket really isn’t “yours” but a hidden participation in a wizard of oz financial system controlled by government and banks.

These days I wouldnt dare travel with a few Gs.
No way. Local PD probably wouldn’t be an issue, but catch yourself at a border crossing or crossing state lines and I’m sure there are a multitude of ways for your balls to be busted for simply carrying cash. Flying need not apply.

The war on cash is decades old at this point, mostly via law enforcement, but now we’re seeing US Senate digital currency proposals and an apparent coin shortage at the Fed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted72597

Just a funny random thought I figured might help someone here.

Want personal development on steroids?

Get into what’s called metacognition .

The funny part is that out of all the self help books, gurus and courses out there in the wild. Not once has it ever been mentioned. Never. And yet it’s the number one thing that will help you get out of your shitty mind set(if you suffer from one).

Googled it. Interesting, I'll research it more. I might be missing something here, but isn't this what most self-development people talk about? Except they don't call it metacognition. Isn't this half the reason why people advocate meditation? The reason why they advise us to recognize and question thoughts, emotions, beliefs, biases, etc?

Again, I might be missing something here, and I'll check it out someday but. It sounds like the exact same thing most self-development people (i have been exposed to) suggest doing through thinking, reflection, meditation, analytical, and written exercises.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
but isn't this what most self-development people talk about?

Yes it’s very similar but unfortunately a lot of main stream self help is just fluff. Big publishers and corporations know people want easy fixes for their cognitive and emotional problems. So a lot of the material on metacognition just isn’t a big hit because it won’t have a “ooh ahh” effect on someone who is depressed and suicidal. It takes a shit ton of effort, motivation and discipline and time.

Like the power of now by eckhart Tolle. I love the book. It’s a great book because the central idea is true. Yet there are a lot of embarrassing metaphysical and logic contradictions in that book.

True personal development is work and requires effort. The gist of metacognition is that it makes you less stupid and less prone to passive emotions. I was thinking about starting a thread on it but it just isn’t something I think most people would be interested in and I really don’t wanna look like some kind of wannabe self help know it all.

D

Deleted72597

Yes it’s very similar but unfortunately a lot of main stream self help is just fluff. Big publishers and corporations know people want easy fixes for their cognitive and emotional problems.

I must have been lucky with my book choices then. I would love to talk with you about this kind of stuff. I love this kind of stuff. Both Eckhart and otherwise. I'm serious AF about my self-development.
But 100 replies back on forth in this thread might not be the way? Feel free to hit me up!

Don't care about what they think, just create it. I have already been criticized multiple times so far through my posts. It's good to self-aware, but we also gotta keep rollin'. You'll create something you're passionate about, you'll learn something, you might not sound like what you fear. Sounds like good reasons to me.

D

Deleted78083

Fastlane story time: Gymshark

Gymshark is a company founded by British entrepreneur Ben Francis. As a teenager, Ben designed a website to print car licensing plates. Then he sold it and bought an iPhone, and started creating gym apps. Then later on, he created the website gymshark where he droppshipped (before it was a thing) gym supplements. Then he noticed that there weren't the types of clothes he'd need for the gym, so he just bought a sewing machine and some fabric with his friend and they started sewing, designing the logos and printing them on the clothes, then shipping them.

By the time he turned 24, Ben had created a multi-million dollar brand. It's important to look at the process that Ben went through to create Gymshark: he first learned how to make websites, then how to make apps, then he learned how to use dropshipping, then how to sew, how to design logos, how to print them off his shirts, etc. The fact that he was so young and driven is impressive, very inspiring too. Here's the vid.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpftE7RwQnM

M.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
was thinking about starting a thread on it but it just isn’t something I think most people would be interested in

Please do, if you think it won't be of interest to the forum, just preface your post with a TLDR and synposis so those folks can skip it. I for one, and really interested on the subject.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Fastlane story time: Gymshark

Gymshark is a company founded by British entrepreneur Ben Francis. As a teenager, Ben designed a website to print car licensing plates. Then he sold it and bought an iPhone, and started creating gym apps. Then later on, he created the website gymshark where he droppshipped (before it was a thing) gym supplements. Then he noticed that there weren't the types of clothes he'd need for the gym, so he just bought a sewing machine and some fabric with his friend and they started sewing, designing the logos and printing them on the clothes, then shipping them.

By the time he turned 24, Ben had created a multi-million dollar brand. It's important to look at the process that Ben went through to create Gymshark: he first learned how to make websites, then how to make apps, then he learned how to use dropshipping, then how to sew, how to design logos, how to print them off his shirts, etc. The fact that he was so young and driven is impressive, very inspiring too. Here's the vid.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpftE7RwQnM

M.

I've looked a lot at Gymshark and conclude they are not fastlane (or, at least, a productocracy).

They built a me-too product (he even states that his business model was "dropshipping") and managed to get massive clout by getting in with social media influencers 4+ years before everyone else did.

Whilst what they've achieved is admirable, it's the equivalent of setting up a custom tshirt shop. No investment, no IP, no R&D, no network/connections. I would be wary of using them as any sort of bulwark.

D

Deleted78083

I've looked a lot at Gymshark and conclude they are not fastlane (or, at least, a productocracy).

They built a me-too product (he even states that his business model was "dropshipping") and managed to get massive clout by getting in with social media influencers 4+ years before everyone else did.

Whilst what they've achieved is admirable, it's the equivalent of setting up a custom tshirt shop. No investment, no IP, no R&D, no network/connections. I would be wary of using them as any sort of bulwark.

At 24 years old, the guy became a multi-millionnaire. Fastlane is about becoming rich quick. Isn't it fastlane enough? You are mistaking fastlane with productocracy.

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
Jul 9, 2018
Yes it’s very similar but unfortunately a lot of main stream self help is just fluff. Big publishers and corporations know people want easy fixes for their cognitive and emotional problems. So a lot of the material on metacognition just isn’t a big hit because it won’t have a “ooh ahh” effect on someone who is depressed and suicidal. It takes a shit ton of effort, motivation and discipline and time.

Like the power of now by eckhart Tolle. I love the book. It’s a great book because the central idea is true. Yet there are a lot of embarrassing metaphysical and logic contradictions in that book.

True personal development is work and requires effort. The gist of metacognition is that it makes you less stupid and less prone to passive emotions. I was thinking about starting a thread on it but it just isn’t something I think most people would be interested in and I really don’t wanna look like some kind of wannabe self help know it all.

I'm interested. Please do a thread on it.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Please do, if you think it won't be of interest to the forum, just preface your post with a TLDR and synposis so those folks can skip it. I for one, and really interested on the subject.

First let me say im not an expert in this skill. Im largely new to it. But if your in to stuff like the cognitive biases and the power of now this is right down your alley.

Ill see if i can write something up. Im not that great of a writer and these strategies and principles are difficult to communicate.

I just found it interesting and funny that a largely hidden and ignored discipline is what actually helped and not some fluff filled book at barnes and noble.

One thing i find fascinating is that once you go into the advanced principles of this it corroborates the "b theory of time". The idea that the past and future exist, but in the present. Why is this important? It implies the possibility of a predictive intelligence.

I know that a lot of this might be disagreed with i get it. Who knows and it might all be wrong. Im not saying i know it all. But it opens a can of worms that i think is worth looking into that might benefit us in our personal and business lives.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Was looking into zero-gravity workstations and found this doozy...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-3iathMo7o

All that's missing is an intravenous drip of Mountain Dew and a 25mg prescription to Metformin for the diabetes you'll have. :rofl:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.