The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Does the forum has push notification that shows a popup in my browser of my threads/IM etc?

I used to receive the notification a year ago but now its not coming. Is it because of new layout?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Perspective...

I'm close to pulling the trigger on never using Reddit ever again. The amount of virtue-signaling morons completely devoid of independent thought is just too much.

Thank God (i.e., MJ) this forum exists and attracts inconvenient people for the status quo.

Funny I just spent about 10m in the r/personalfinance SubReddit and the posts there are quite sad....

Here are the posts in a nutshell:

I'm $1000s in debt and cant get a job, should I take on $1000s more in debt to go to grad school, then I can be more indebted and more overqualified for a job that didn't exist in the first place?

These people are simply asking how to pedal harder on their tricycles, not realizing, that the tricycle that they refuse to question is the problem. Sorry, but you aren't going to navigate 1000s of miles on your ineffective tricycle, no matter how hard you pedal, or what answers you get at Reddit.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
I hate the whole don't use non-EPSON ink in EPSON printers thing, but I did order one off of their website, and it still doesn't work.

And to boot here is the lovely response I get :).

---------------------------------
Dear Zach,

Thank you for contacting the Epson Store. It is our pleasure to respond to your inquiry.

You have reached Epson Accessories, Inc. (Epson Store), a subsidiary of Epson America, Inc.

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with the item/s you purchased. With this incident, we recommend contacting the Epson Returns department when you are with your printer setup. A representative will assist you with diagnosing the issue(s) in order to confirm whether or not a replacement is needed and, if so, the representative will provide you with return instructions. Please call (800) 444-1527 for further assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Should you require further assistance, please use the REPLY option on your email software and include your previous email request. If you have a different question, please submit another email request and we will make every effort to respond within two business days (excluding major holidays). The Epson Store business hours are Monday – Friday 7:00 am – 4:00 pm (PT).

Thank you for choosing Epson.

Sincerely,

M------- S.
Epson Store

---------------------------------

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I wonder how safe it would be in a country where the government whips people and summarily executes them for having the wrong plant in their pocket?

Very safe. This country you seem to hint at, may not have the military prowess or beautiful natural scenery of the US, for example, but girls can walk around at night wearing sports bra and yoga leggings and nothing will happen to them (this doesn't mean the country has 0 crimes though). Literally zero catcalls or approaches or stalking. Try doing that in various cities/provinces/states at night across the world including the US.

As for the "wrong plant in pocket" (aka drug smuggling), drugs ruin societies and attracts drug mafias to setup shop here. We've all seen where that leads to (YouTube Streets of Philadelphia). Once they're here, it's near impossible to rid them. Tough laws are a must to make society safe and clean.

People who want to get rid of laws that execute drug smugglers, are in fact, encouraging and supporting the drug mafia and cartels. In other words, they are indirect/direct accomplices to the illegal drug trade.

These strict laws in that country benefit the majority of the law abiding residents. The only ones who are against these laws in the name of "human rights", of course, are usually those whom the laws were originally intended for.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
it's remarkable how quickly a train wreck will make it clear to you that you're speaking to a train wreck

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India
Perspective...

Funny I just spent about 10m in the r/personalfinance SubReddit and the posts there are quite sad....

I'm $1000s in debt and cant get a job, should I take on $1000s more in debt to go to grad school, then I can be more indebted and more overqualified for a job that didn't exist in the first place?

These people are simply asking how to pedal harder on their tricycles, not realizing, that the tricycle that they refuse to question is the problem. Sorry, but you aren't going to navigate 1000s of miles on your ineffective tricycle, no matter how hard you pedal, or what answers you get at Reddit.
The fact that after years this all will be long gone and the only thing that will remain in our oberservable universe will be our own galaxy, really bothers me.
Sir do you know that the distant galaxies that emitted the light millions of years ago (now out of overvable universe) is the light we see today.
We are really lucky to see the beauty of universe that will soon fade away.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
https://www.reddit.com/r/jameswebbdiscoveries/comments/vt13ep View: https://www.reddit.com/r/jameswebbdiscoveries/comments/vt13ep/james_webb_telescopes_fine_guidance_sensor/

That's just a test image.

NASA said it plans to release several images beginning at 10:30 am ET (14:30 UTC) on July 12, the result of Webb's "first light" observations. On Wednesday, space agency officials said the images and other data would include the deepest-field image of the universe ever taken—looking further into the cosmos than humans ever have before—as well as the spectrum of an atmosphere around an exoplanet. By looking in the infrared, Webb will be able to identify the fingerprints of small molecules, such as carbon dioxide and ozone, that will offer meaningful clues about the habitability of worlds around other stars.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I'm close to pulling the trigger on never using Reddit ever again. The amount of virtue-signaling morons completely devoid of independent thought is just too much.

Thank God (i.e., MJ) this forum exists and attracts inconvenient people for the status quo.
I can tell just by talking to people and mates whether they go on reddit or not. It rots your brain.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
https://www.reddit.com/r/jameswebbdiscoveries/comments/vt13ep View: https://www.reddit.com/r/jameswebbdiscoveries/comments/vt13ep/james_webb_telescopes_fine_guidance_sensor/

NASA said it plans to release several images beginning at 10:30 am ET (14:30 UTC) on July 12, the result of Webb's "first light" observations. On Wednesday, space agency officials said the images and other data would include the deepest-field image of the universe ever taken—looking further into the cosmos than humans ever have before—as well as the spectrum of an atmosphere around an exoplanet. By looking in the infrared, Webb will be able to identify the fingerprints of small molecules, such as carbon dioxide and ozone, that will offer meaningful clues about the habitability of worlds around other stars.

Been following the James Webb telescope project for years. Apparently, one of the engineers working the telescope cried after seeing the images they're planning to release.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

Stuff like this makes me sometimes wish I'd stayed in astrophysics

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Stuff like this makes me sometimes wish I'd stayed in astrophysics

Lots of people on the James Webb subreddit are hoping we witness an alien megastructure or identify whether exoplanets in habitable zones have life on them by creating a spectrograph to identify their atmosphere's composition.

So while we won't get HD images of Earth-like planets to marvel at, many interesting discoveries are (hopefully) to come...

Also, I believe James Webb will very much be capable of taking awesome HD images of our own Solar System's planets, so that's cool too.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Perspective...

The trading subreddits have turned to shit as well.
Just overused memes or bland DD posts with wrong interpretations of charts and FAs.

A few good ones like r/OptionsMillionaire have secluded themselves in private Discords.

Martin Skhreli recently returned to r/WSB after he got released.

While he was a corporate criminal, he taught the first generation of WSB-ians how to do DD and gave it its initial culture of risk-taking gung ho. But I think even he won't be able to restore that place to the form that it should.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Really, really HATE my own country Malaysia...

Stock market F*cked over in the a$$ even though we have perfectly good companies with choice commodities or products...a government that swaps policies left and right (eg lifting price caps for chicken and eggs before quitting it a few days later)...not to mention toxic work culture and salaries.

I counted the number of Malaysians that actually gave me life-changing, worthwhile insights or help-- and I found the list very short. And I wonder WHY.

We somehow have a half-past-six curse looming over our heads.
Plenty of great hardworking folks-- but they somehow never hit the peak of their careers.
And somehow they find greater wins elsewhere (see Australia's new foreign minister...see Broadcom's CEO)

I attended a voting talk for election agent volunteers recently (since election might be near), held by one of the more open-minded politicians. Instead of asking more details on operations-- they WASTED THE ENTIRE Q&A COMPLAINING ABOUT POLITICS.

You are here to learn how to handle the election booths and all-- keep your complaints to another time!

This was when I realised I couldn't blame my country's leaders. I need to blame the PEOPLE for not helping.

I need to get away from them ASAP.

Also, when I see previously backward countries like Indonesia leading the pack with Jokowi (he chairs the G20 now)-- and even had books written on him--you know your country's F*cked.

Singapore, here I come... I'll just cart over my online work and rent a room there to try to new life out first.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I can tell just by talking to people and mates whether they go on reddit or not. It rots your brain.
You should talk to my brother. Once a smart guy with critical thinking skills. Now barely more than a zombie. I wish I were exaggerating.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
How did it get so bad?
I have no idea. It was a slow decay over like 4 years. He nearly spends every waking moment with his phone, and always browsing Reddit. His ideas towards "corporate greed" and whatever BS populates that site is unreal.

I guess when you see the same thing over and over you start to believe it, for good or bad. Reddit is an absolute cesspool. It has to the one of the worst places I have ever seen.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I am following @thechosen1 on Twitter and his posts lately are mostly political.

In the company of friends here, when are you running for office?
Looks like you are gaining a lot of practice on twitter! :rofl:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I have no idea. It was a slow decay over like 4 years. He nearly spends every waking moment with his phone, and always browsing Reddit. His ideas towards "corporate greed" and whatever BS populates that site is unreal.

I guess when you see the same thing over and over you start to believe it, for good or bad. Reddit is an absolute cesspool. It has to the one of the worst places I have ever seen.
I was talking about this with my cousin today and he pointed out that the biggest problem is the karma system.

You are basically rewarded for posting as the hive mind. You aren't posting as yourself, you are posting as reddit. Trying to get karma.

It's like rewarding someone for bad behaviour.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Lots of people on the James Webb subreddit are hoping we witness an alien megastructure or identify whether exoplanets in habitable zones have life on them by creating a spectrograph to identify their atmosphere's composition.

So while we won't get HD images of Earth-like planets to marvel at, many interesting discoveries are (hopefully) to come...

Also, I believe James Webb will very much be capable of taking awesome HD images of our own Solar System's planets, so that's cool too.

JWT is going to push the boundaries of science and give us a new generation of wicked cool posters :rofl:

But seriously, it's going to be crazy what we start to learn from it, it's capabilities blast Hubble out of the water.

I doubt they'll find alien space stations or whatever, but analysts of exoplanets will be interesting.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
JWT is going to push the boundaries of science and give us a new generation of wicked cool posters :rofl:

But seriously, it's going to be crazy what we start to learn from it, it's capabilities blast Hubble out of the water.

I doubt they'll find alien space stations or whatever, but analysts of exoplanets will be interesting.
Exponential growth my friend!! What we have going up into space now vs even a few decades ago is unreal. In a few decades more these are going to look like children's toys.

We live in the greatest technological time that has ever been, and it's increasing exponentially. Thinking about that just blows my mind!

@Kak your children might be enjoying entrepreneurship in space!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
290314318_563443318601986_128606644955356739_n.jpg

I might be in the minority here but I consider lawns an abomination. So many resources are wasted on mowing lawns, watering them, keeping them green, etc. that it's unbelievable. I sometimes feel like I'm from a different planet when I wonder how people can't see how ridiculous and destructive lawns are.

"Fun" fact about lawns:

On average, mowing your lawn for one hour produces as much pollution as driving 650 miles. Moreover, we now burn 800 million gallons of gas each year in our dirty little lawnmower engines to keep our lawns at bay. In all we spend $45 billion each year on lawn care

Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife with Native Plants, Updated and Expanded (p. 187). Timber Press. Kindle Edition.

Also:

Christina Milesi has estimated that we have converted between 32 and 40 million acres—as much as 62,500 square miles—to suburban lawns in this country (Milesi et al. 2005). That is an area more than eight times the size of New Jersey dedicated to alien grasses!

Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife with Native Plants, Updated and Expanded (p. 38). Timber Press. Kindle Edition.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
View attachment 44298

I might be in the minority here but I consider lawns an abomination. So many resources are wasted on mowing lawns, watering them, keeping them green, etc. that it's unbelievable. I sometimes feel like I'm from a different planet when I wonder how people can't see how ridiculous and destructive lawns are.

"Fun" fact about lawns:

Also:
I am mostly with you on lawns being a waste. However, having small kids means I really wish I had a larger lawn in the back for them to play on!!!

I like yards in Mexico. There is literally no front yard. Your house is essentially either on the street, or a concrete front patio where you park your vehicle. The back is a concrete wall surrounding your land, and then you do whatever you want. Personally I'd like a nice concrete patio with a shelter and outdoor kitchen, a nice palapa and a pool, and a small green space for the kids. I'd have 0 vanity lawn out front for people I don't care about to look at.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
What is happening across the pond? Anyone wanna fill me in?
I don't do politics, but there have been a number of situations where it seems the PM hasn't been entirely truthful, and then been found out, some stuff that annoys the public such as having parties in parliament buildings while everyone else is not allowed out because of lockdown, and some other stuff. Various calls for his resignation have been ignored, which has led to quite a few cabinet ministers resigning in protest. He's finally bowed to the pressure and is going, but wants to stay on while a new leader is appointed. My guess is that in part this resignation will be to do with allowing the party to rebuild confidence in plenty of time for the next election. Opinions in the general public (or that small cross-section that are asked to be on the news) seems to be divided. TV schedules, already badly disrupted by Wimbledon and the football are now all over the place while they tell us, over and over, that he has resigned.

Maybe someone who does do politics will be able to give a better answer.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
View attachment 44298

"Fun" fact about lawns:

Also:
Lawns are not that great anywhere, but particularly worse in arid places. Since Arizona has such a high number of people who moved here from other states (often, much greener ones), it is not uncommon for new residents to want to recreate their former lush green environments in the middle of a desert instead of adapting to a new environment.

The worst part is that many people are ignorant of how to grow lawns in hot, dry environments, so you end up driving around the city and seeing dozens of lawns being watered at 4pm in June while it is 115F (45 C) outside. Since the water evaporates from the blades of grass so quickly, it actually singes the grass, turning it brown, which then leads whoever owns the lawn to think the lawn needs more water more frequently and for longer periods of time. Eventually, you just see water overflowing into the gutter and streaming down the street, racing futilely as it eventually converts to steam.

Of course, with a lawn also comes leaf blowers... :devil:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RGY6OW6-3I

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.