The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Raising Entrepreneurial Kids

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

Forbes

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 3, 2010
thanks for sharing. When I have children I'd really like them to be business aware. I have to break lots of habits my own parents instilled on me

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I was only able to watch half the video- but I appreciate the idea!

I think one of the best ways to teach kids is by example. Mine have watched me talk about, read about, and be active in building businesses since they were babies. Now, they talk about their own businesses- it's natural for them, because it's always been around and encouraged!

w4rl0rdx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 2, 2009
Michigan
That video really speaks to me... I wonder how many other people can relate.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
I definitely instill the sense of entrepreneurial spirit in my young daughters. In my neighborhood, when other 9-year olds are being given ferrari golf carts and rolexes, it's even more important for me to set examples of real value. My kids get more than enough gifts, but sometimes when they want something more and it's not a special occasion, we use it as an exercise to teach them responsibility. We ask what they are willing to do to get that toy. Usually it means I end up with a clean car or a swept kitchen floor!

My nine-year old daughter wanted to design surf clothes, so we created a company and made her CEO. We're buying t-shirts wholesale and having them imprinted. She has her own business cards, etc. This was meant to be a lesson to encourage her to go for what she wants and see it through. She has so much fun and pride with it. Her friends at school didn't believe she has her own company until she produced her business cards and t-shirts.

She's also the only 9-year old I know of who owns her own condo in a high-end Dallas suburb. (Her 6-year old sister has one in the same complex..A great tool to teach them the business!).

She also insisted that I donate to the ASPCA. I agreed but asked what she would be willing to do to help the animals. She immediately came up with the idea of starting a dog-walking business in the neighborhood! She designed flyers that we put up in the country club. Every dollar she earns she gives to the ASPCA. (I couldn't have come up with a better idea myself!!)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
My kids love to play Wii. Problem is, each game is $50 and I refuse to buy them new ones (yup, me little bastard, I know). So I told them they have to raise their own money to do so.

Lo and behold... lemonade stands still are the best way to raise money for kids 10 and under, so it seems (although it seems like Laguna's kid is raising more than that).

We have discussed this same topic a few times here already... and the topic never gets old.

Thanks for sharing.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hey Andres,

Can I give your kid rep speed? That's awesome! :banana:

-Russ H.

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 23, 2009
USA
hahaha that looks like MY to-do list!

and LagunaLauren, that's crazy impressive. Sounds like running a "real" business while keeping things light, fun, and more about the business then the money sounds like the best idea.

Those are all some very inspiring stories.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Hey Andres,

Can I give your kid rep speed? That's awesome! :banana:

-Russ H.
Thanks Russ. Yeah, I think it is awesome too (she came up with it herself). Problem now is, how do we continue channeling this? What I like about this video was the specifics he proposed... so I will watch it a few more time until I get more ideas and put together a plan to make those things happen.

Thanks again.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
Thanks Russ. Yeah, I think it is awesome too (she came up with it herself). Problem now is, how do we continue channeling this? What I like about this video was the specifics he proposed... so I will watch it a few more time until I get more ideas and put together a plan to make those things happen.

Thanks again.

I find that if I ask my kids' a question about how they think they can do something, they usually have great solutions themselves. (like the dog-walking for ASPCA. I didn't even think of that!). I try to pay attention to things they're interested in and figure out how to make it a fun lesson for them.

As a side note, my 6-year old started babbling about her mortgages last night! LOL! Didn't think she was even paying attention to this stuff. Then she said "I pay $10 and they pay me $1,000". not entirely correct, but she has the right idea!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Great stuff.

We're already starting w/our 3-year old (she'll be 4 in a few months).

I've been trying to instill a positive, competitive spirit in her.

For example:

Used to be impossible to get her dressed for daycare. She just was s . . . .o s.......l.......o........w.......

So one day, I had an idea: I said "I'm gonna beat you!" (getting dressed).

Wow, found out that day she could dress herself-- and FAST! :banana:

This worked for a few months, until one day, she said, "No, Daddy, I'm not PLAYING THAT GAME!"

(there is a killjoy teacher at her daycare-- now gone, thankfully-- that I'm sure she learned this response from).

I was stumped.

So the next day, when I said "I'm gonna beat you!"

And she said, "No Daddy, I'm not playing that game!"

I responded with: "Well, KT, Daddy IS playing. And I'm gonna beat you."

And I did. She was NOT happy.

So on the way to school, I explained that whenever there was a contest, she could choose not to play the game-- but the contest STILL HAPPENED.

And others STILL WON-- even if she wasn't playing.

Kinda like life.

You can choose to be in the game, or not.

But if you choose to sit on the sidelines, others will still play.

And WIN. :banana:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
PS As a result of our little discussion, she decided she would MUCH rather play to WIN, than sit out on the sidelines. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.