The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Questions regarding patents, copyrights, etc.

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
I am having a hard time finding an answer to a few questions I have and I am hoping you guys can help me out here... My main question is regarding patents to products produced. I am just not sure if some products require patents as they are not an invention but rather just another form of something already out. For example, in the auto industry an aftermarket company would make a performance exhaust system, now since it is basically just bent pipe would it have to be patented? It would have mainly the same bends and same angles as the factory system but just eliminating some of the restrictive mufflers. Or another example, if that company made an interior accessory like a gauge pod or something plastic that bolts into the interior, would a patent be needed? I am just confused on the whole patenting system and what requires one

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
A patent is filed because you want to protect your intellectual property/invention. You don't have to file for a patent if you don't want to but you will lack the ability to protect your invention and your brand.

If you make an improvement to an existing product that has or had an exisiting patent, you should talk to a patent attorney.

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
i am wondering could such an item even be patented? if not then it really wouldnt be affecting anybody elses invention if they could not even patent it

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
well, your idea needs to be original enough and practical, else you won't get a patent, even tho you can apply.

for example, bending pipes for exhaust. you most likely won't get a patent on that. i'mean, what are you going to patent, the angles that you bend it at? it's too much of a simple modification and too generic. it's like me designing a cell phone with 100 keys and patenting it, because it has "100 keys" too generic.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Actually Eastwind you would be surprised what you can and can't patent. Some of the simplest objects that have been regurgitated onto the market have a patent on them for some reason or another.

To answer your question Brian, I would think that if you created a new type of exhaust and it was patentable, a design patent would be the way to go. I am not sure if you can or can't patent an new design for an exhaust. Asking a patent attorney would be best.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Brian, I would advise you to join the forum on www.intelproplaw.com (this is not spam. I have no involvement with that website).
There are lots of patent attorneys posting on that forum and ready to give you good advice, for free.
Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.