The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question for of you who have learn PHP & Mysql

Danny G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 10, 2011
Bulgaria
Hi guys & girls,

I just wanted to ask you couple things. but first, let me tell you what is all about.

I found my fastlane road ... and I told a friend of mine what's my idea and he said it sounds good. He's programmer working with php and mysql. So the idea is mine, the design is mine, the SEO part (which is TON of work) is my responsibility, I build social media buzz, I wrote all the text for the site and gave all ideas basically for everything that is supposed to be on the site. So all he has to do is ... build the site.

Now, i'm really disappointed. I mean I knew him, I didn't follow my six sense to work on this website all myself and he said we would help me build it and will split 50/50 at the end.

I'm disappointed of him, because he's not serious about it. He works on 2 jobs and he got some of his projects as well. This site is a worldwide and it's a membership. It has a lot of potential .. but I had to push him always and tell him .. do this .. do that ... I want this .. I want that ... he never gave a single idea about it ... oh and the site building is really slow cuz he's always busy. We actually launched the site but it has a lot of work to be done.

I'm disappointed of me for not listening my sixth sense and doing this on my own. Why I accepted partnership? It's simply - I'm not a programmer and I hate that. I've always wanted to learn PHP and mysql so I could be able to work on my own .. but it was really hard for me and I quick like 4 times. That's a lame excuse, isn't it. I don't know why is it so hard for me .. I know php is probably the easiest language you could learn.

This time I'll learn it!

I just want to ask you how much time it will take for a complete newbie in PHP & Mysql to learn it so good that he/she could be able to work on huge projects by himself/herself?

i'm asking for your personal experience here :)

Thanks in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
Hey Danny,

Speaking of pure nerdy Computer Science experience here: do NOT attempt a big php/mysql project by yourself. It's like saying: "Oh yeah, I drive my lightly modified 1998 honda civic really fast on the highways. I must be good enough to drive an F1 car on the track at full speed!" Umm ... no.

You can get by with crappy progamming (ie: newbie), but you'll spend a lot of time and energy on it. How much time and energy? Let me put it to you this way.

I'm an decently experienced C, C++, PHP, MySql, Html 4 (sadly not 5), CSS2/3, linux nerd who can also do Calm, Python (I <3 python), ASM .... in other words, I'm a freaking computer nerd/geek.

I'm also working on a new project (thebusinesspackage.com) to help freelancers find work from any and all freelance type sites. It'll search all the sites (such as craigslist, freelancer, elance, odesk) and give a nice detailed list back to the member.

Problem is, I originally wanted to do this in Ruby. Why? Cause the original code/idea was in Ruby. Well, suffice it to say: 5 hours later I still couldn't figure out how to get a ruby on rails app going, let alone run it on a distributed server with 8+ IP's ectectect...

Yeah. So I settled with PHP. Now I have a template and framework to work with. But that still took me a few hours to learn the template system, get a style in my head that I want and translate 'Brain thoughts' into code. Programming is no easy feat. Not at all. Even harder to do properly.

When I got to programming the Ajax and dynamic part of the base code? EK! yeah ... most hours lost on learning. I can pick up code, logic and syntax very fast ... but still. It takes a crap load of time to do.

My advice: unless you want to be a programmer, hire it out.

Danny G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 10, 2011
Bulgaria
First of all, sorry for the incorrect title. I just noticed that.

About what you have said, yeah I kinda agree with you, I hate programming if I've got to be honest BUT ... knowing what the code means is actually helping.
As I said the site is up and running but there quite a few things to be done, then the HUGE Seo part is coming. I don't want to be a programmer, not at all. :D it's not my thing...

I read how MJ has learn php and mysql himself ... just because he wanted to do everything by himself so he knew what was going on and how to do it. That's pretty much what I wanted to do.

To be honest if this project worked really well and brings a lot of profit ... I wont stop with it ... I know myself and I won't be able to live and not do anything just because I have money. And at that point I'll start a new project and I know I'll hire someone to work with me or to build whatever I want. I'm not that kind of person who will just stay and not do anything no matter if im a billionaire. ~That was just metaphorical ~ I will always do something ... So it's a matter of money to hire someone ... but for now I'll stick with my guy ... unless we dont fight or something .... but good to know your advice!

Hey Danny,

Speaking of pure nerdy Computer Science experience here: do NOT attempt a big php/mysql project by yourself. It's like saying: "Oh yeah, I drive my lightly modified 1998 honda civic really fast on the highways. I must be good enough to drive an F1 car on the track at full speed!" Umm ... no.

You can get by with crappy progamming (ie: newbie), but you'll spend a lot of time and energy on it. How much time and energy? Let me put it to you this way.

I'm an decently experienced C, C++, PHP, MySql, Html 4 (sadly not 5), CSS2/3, linux nerd who can also do Calm, Python (I <3 python), ASM .... in other words, I'm a freaking computer nerd/geek.

I'm also working on a new project (thebusinesspackage.com) to help freelancers find work from any and all freelance type sites. It'll search all the sites (such as craigslist, freelancer, elance, odesk) and give a nice detailed list back to the member.

Problem is, I originally wanted to do this in Ruby. Why? Cause the original code/idea was in Ruby. Well, suffice it to say: 5 hours later I still couldn't figure out how to get a ruby on rails app going, let alone run it on a distributed server with 8+ IP's ectectect...

Yeah. So I settled with PHP. Now I have a template and framework to work with. But that still took me a few hours to learn the template system, get a style in my head that I want and translate 'Brain thoughts' into code. Programming is no easy feat. Not at all. Even harder to do properly.

When I got to programming the Ajax and dynamic part of the base code? EK! yeah ... most hours lost on learning. I can pick up code, logic and syntax very fast ... but still. It takes a crap load of time to do.

Milenko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 6, 2011
Cleveland, OH

Absolutely. The only way you'll become a competent programmer is through experience and unless you're willing to devote some serious time to learning you'll never develop that experience. You can learn how to do some simple things in a few hours but if you're talking about knowing enough to handle big projects that's going to take you years. Spending years to develop enough skill to code a project you could easily outsource just isn't a good trade in my book.

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
In the real world: 4 years for a BS in CS, 2 years for a MS in CS ... and you're still not really competent programmer and most companies still won't hire ya. They'll still want to see real competency which only comes from real world experience such as freelancing and your own projects.

Just sayin'.

By all power that is holy, program the site and seo it if that's what you really want to do :) If you need any pointers/tips on programming you know where to find me.

Let us know how the site goes though! I'm super interested and I'm sure others are as well :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm disappointed of him, because he's not serious about it. He works on 2 jobs and he got some of his projects as well.

This is like getting into a relationship with a woman who is dating 6 other men. Do you expect to be happy in that situation? This is why I believe monogamy in business (and with your partners) is crucial.

PHP/MYSQL isn't too difficult. If your site can be launched bare bones, it might be worth a try. Answer depends on the scope of the project. I always feel managing growth is easier than trying to escape zero growth.

Danny G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 10, 2011
Bulgaria
@Milenko

My passion is far far away from programming, but passions isn't important. The market is important and what it needs! I'll give it what it needs whatever it takes. Actually I just tried to explain my father how SE works and how a site get its ranking. ~Really hard task for someone who only knows how to bet on a game...~ I don't want to be programmer, not at all. Actually I think that isn't for everyone. I want particular stuff to be done and that's what I'm trying to do now!

@piotrkrzyzek, Thank you very much. I'll let you know but the site is worldwide and a lot of SEO work needs to be done! But before that all pages needs to be created. That's what I'll do in the next day or 2! After that SEO work baby! A lot of it. And believe me, I know how to achieve that. I know how to index my backlinks and it's working. So far - from about 30 really good High PR doffollow links that I've built in last 3 days I got 12 indexed according to yahoo site explorer ~which is till weird to me, how they index links, pages, sites faster than Google but got really awful search result script~ I know how to make sure that the site won't be penalty for the high PR Dofollow only. So When it comes to SEO, I know my stuff! ;) I have a lot of experience in that.

@ MJ
I Know, but at this point, I accepted him as my partner and I'll do the work as I have promised and I'll make sure he'll do his part as well. I absolutely agree with you about the monagamy in the business. And that's what I do in my next project. Sounds really optimistic, I Know, but I know this will work! It will 100% i know it ... and I'll prove it, because everything is in my hands. Once this business is up and running ... it will be independent from my personal time ... and at some point I'll be careless but after that I'll start something new and I'll do it by myself. Call it sixth sense or whatever, I KNOW this will work! And the bright future is coming!

hekks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 2, 2011
Chicago
I'm not an experienced businessman, but splitting half the share of a business to which your partner is not fully committed sounds like an awful trade.

You have a decision to make which will likely weigh heavily on how conflict-free your venture will turn out.

By all power that is holy, program the site and seo it if that's what you really want to do

This is what I would do. This way, you can have full control and understanding in how the site operates, and perhaps sign on a contractor here and there to audit your code? Interesting to see you live in Glenview, Pitor. Just a skip n hop from me :)

Danny G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 10, 2011
Bulgaria
That's correct. I believe that at some point we manage to make it work and I give him 50% of the profit ...at some point I'll ask him "What the hell have you dont for this business except the coding? Have you ever suggest something or give an idea? " which will sucks because he's really close friend of mine (my sister's boyfriend...). He's irresponsible now, because he can't see any profit from the site, because the whole work isn't over ... not at all ... but once we've got profit and SUDDENLY we'll start suggesting things and go more responsible than now! I Know it, I know him, and I'm sure that's what will happen!

And I know once we're successful enough I'll start thinking about something that's all mine. And I'll hire someone to do the work (coding) for me. But till than, I'll focus on this site and I'll make it work really good!

I'm not an experienced businessman, but splitting half the share of a business to which your partner is not fully committed sounds like an awful trade.

You have a decision to make which will likely weigh heavily on how conflict-free your venture will turn out.

This is what I would do. This way, you can have full control and understanding in how the site operates, and perhaps sign on a contractor here and there to audit your code? Interesting to see you live in Glenview, Pitor. Just a skip n hop from me :)

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
agree with what everyone else said about the php. It all depends on how big the project, your time, your ability to learn, and how much money you have to spend if you were to outsource it.

With that said, you will eventually become successful (with this or something else) regardless if you keep that positive/determined mindset.

gl to you.

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
you can either start from something already built (CMS, ecommerce, etc) and modify with your php knowledge and/or add little tidbits of code for specific functions (like ajax, etc).

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
you can either start from something already built (CMS, ecommerce, etc) and modify with your php knowledge and/or add little tidbits of code for specific functions (like ajax, etc).

I agree with this. This is what I did with my latest project - I found some Wordpress plugins that were close to what I needed and then learned enough PHP to modify it to meet my needs.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Web coding is not hard. It's in investment in yourself if things don't work out.
I was going to outsource my coding for a couple projects but decided to delay and learn coding myself. So far I'm having a good time learning.

Computer Science degrees are a waste of time. Most good programmers didn't go to school for programming.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.