The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question about time blocking

Anything related to matters of the mind

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I am trying to use time blocking for my time management, but one critical thing is something always comes up.
so, should we make a new block of time or move it.

I use google calendar and change color when it's done.

any tips and insights are appricitated

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DarkWoods

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Oct 12, 2020
I am trying to use time blocking for my time management, but one critical thing is something always comes up.
so, should we make a new block of time or move it.

I use google calendar and change color when it's done.

any tips and insights are appricitated
I suggest you search for Cal Newport's blog and read his book "Deep Work". He often talks about time blocking. He will be releasing a productivity planner in a few weeks that will let you do time blocking. I just ordered mine.

Take a look at his video where he explains how he uses his planner.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_2eVgkgNl38

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I suggest you search for Cal Newport's blog and read his book "Deep Work". He often talks about time blocking. He will be releasing a productivity planner in a few weeks that will let you do time blocking. I just ordered mine.

Take a look at his video where he explains how he uses his planner.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_2eVgkgNl38
thanks, @moneyxplorer for sharing.

I personally feel it have lots of values so I watch its book summary on youtube by different channels to get 80% of the info in 30 mins of time, I was never able to complete more than 50% of deep work audiobook

I will try using his method, though can not purchase because of the high cost.

its great

Suryapratap

Attachments

• 1603026923685.png
    1603026923685.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
You don't need his planner. Google Calendar works fine.

If something always come up, it is an issue. Look at your approach and refine. Look at the following:

- blocks that are too granulars
- priorities not clearly defined
- wrong estimate of the time it takes to achieve a task

My approach to time blocking is different than yours and is constantly evolving. But what do you mean by "change color when it is done?"

If there is a block on my calendar it means that it is what I was doing at that time. If I schedule something and I end up not doing it, I remove it and update my calendar appropriately.

I rutheleslly keep it accurate. It is both a true record of the past and a deliberate plan of the future.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
If there is a block on my calendar it means that it is what I was doing at that time. If I schedule something and I end up not doing it, I remove it and update my calendar appropriately.

I rutheleslly keep it accurate. It is both a true record of the past and a deliberate plan of the future.
thanks @S.Y.
this is the answer I was looking for.

I will to do this way, looks good to me

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
You don't need his planner. Google Calendar works fine.

If something always come up, it is an issue. Look at your approach and refine. Look at the following:

- blocks that are too granulars
- priorities not clearly defined
- wrong estimate of the time it takes to achieve a task

My approach to time blocking is different than yours and is constantly evolving. But what do you mean by "change color when it is done?"

I do something similar, I have one calendar for my plans and another what I actually did. I don't remove plans that didn't happen, because the calendar item often includes important notes to help me compete the task.

When I think "time blocking", I don't think of necessary crossing something of the to do list, instead I think of dedicating a set amount of time - and no more time! - to a task, it's a way to make progress on things I otherwise might not start because they seem to big. But if I know "I'm gonna write headlines for 25 minutes and that's it", then it's more approachable.

A similar technique that can be used along with time blocking or used alone is to create a queue of pomodoro blocks, you don't schedule them, they are just waiting for you to pick up, like todo list items. So I might say "today I want to do 6x25 min blocks programming Chessprint, and 4x25 min blocks copywriting" and then represent that somehow (I used to use an index card for each block), then I can do 25 min sessions of focused work as I'm able. I don't know exactly how much I'll accomplish, but I get experience and improve my ability to estimate my output per 25 min session. And I gain confidence about how much work I will actually do each day. The time blocking aspect of this for me would be saying "X task gets 2 pomodoro sessions and no more", then I can get done what I can, without being overwhelmed that the task might go on forever.

Last edited:

DarkWoods

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Oct 12, 2020
A similar technique that can be used along with time blocking or used alone is to create a queue of pomodoro blocks, you don't schedule them, they are just waiting for you to pick up, like todo list items.

I use a free pomodoro app on my iPad. It's called "Focus Keeper" and I recommend it.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
adjust what and how you do your block schedule until you begin to ACHIEVE your result.

THAT should be the focus.

It will be different for everyone. If you did not achieve your result, why? what was in the way?

for me:
first, determine your big 3 for the week .... the things that will truly move the needle
then i block a rough weekly block schedule in on sundays for the week with 1 hour tasks or 2 to 4 hour blocks for roles ........ things that are reoccurring or cannot move, they go in first. then i fill the available blocks with the big 3
THEN i allow myself to move things around as the week throws shit at me. for big things, i can move them once. then i have to get them done.

hope that helps!

example below. this is definitely NOT what the schedule looked like at the beginning of the week. i got my big 3 done, so was happy with the week!

1603038913910.png

Attachments

• 1603038823673.png
    1603038823673.png
    282.6 KB · Views: 11

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
would you mind explaining this

Meaning that the blocks are too specific.

I have something in the pipeline now that involves researching mints. So I will probably schedule one block of 3h to do the research. Instead of blocking 3 one-hour blocks.

@ZCP said. Try and adjust. Make it a system that works for you.

I tried a whole lot of things. Until I found my sweet spot. And even now, am trying an energy/attention-oriented approach.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
@ZCP It might be subjective, but in 3hr big block do take breaks in middle

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
similar to pomodora.....

get 1 hr of stuff done in 40 minutes ... walk around, rest your brain ....
do that 3 consecutive times...... chill with something physical = usually make a lap or two around the building w/ staff to talk through some project / issue (or what we are working on in the big block)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.