The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Question About Passive Lifestyle Model

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Jockomofino

Contributor
Jan 22, 2018
Durham, NC
This is something I've wondered about for a while but never got around to asking. As it is becoming pertinent now, I want to ask it. And if I am violating some board rules here, mod please remove.

In TMF, @MJ DeMarco says that the revenues from your business should be split this way:
- 40% for taxes
- 40% to fund your money system
- 20% to pay for your lifestyle

My question is, where does the money for business overhead/expenses come from? Or is this the breakdown AFTER overhead has been deducted?

Thanks.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

ericaung

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 6, 2018
This is something I've wondered about for a while but never got around to asking. As it is becoming pertinent now, I want to ask it. And if I am violating some board rules here, mod please remove.

In TMF, @MJ DeMarco says that the revenues from your business should be split this way:
- 40% for taxes

My question is, where does the money for business overhead/expenses come from? Or is this the breakdown AFTER overhead has been deducted?

Thanks.
bump

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
All industries and business models have different profit/revenue ratios. A small services company may have a 100k revenue with 50k profit. A SAAS might have 100k revenue and 95k profit. An Amazon/Shopify drop-shipping company usually has something like 100k revenue and zero profit :rofl:

It's gotta be based off of profit, the actual income that you get to do something with. The money left over.

200k revenue, 100k expenses, 100k profit. Save 40k for taxes, 40k for 'your money system' (i just reinvest), and then live off of 20k.

Cameraman

Contributor
I've Read Rat-Race Escape!
Sep 25, 2021
UK

- 40% for taxes

Thanks.
It's a while since I read TFM but I'm sure that it will be based on drawings you make from the business. At least that's what I've always done. The priority is usually to feed the growing business until you reach the level where it makes sense to make drawings. Either you're earning more than the business needs or you need to reduce your risk and build up your money system.

When you do draw money, split it like the suggestion and you won't go wrong. If you have money left over after paying your tax bill you can add it to your money system.

I use only a 30% rate for putting tax aside but that's fine in the UK for the amount I need to draw from my business. I've done this for years and know that it covers the tax I owe on drawings.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
The new program website is live with a deal from now till the end of October...
MARKETPLACE Freelance University: Solve Every Freelance Problem (Especially on Upwork)
For those who are just seeing this, there are currently a total of 15 live courses and 1...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Fox's Web School helps you learn a specialized skill which you can use to get to Fastlane. It's...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom