The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Purchased Domain . . . Now What?

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
Hello fellow Fastlaners,

I recently purchased a domain name and now would like to start getting the website up and going. It is essentially a website to post short videos and descriptions but in a very simple layout. Please do not get hung up on the "this is already being done" details.

My question is this:
What is my next step to hosting this website, and what company do you recommend to do this? Low price is not as important as good value to me.

Thank you in advance for any information, recommendations, and help

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
hostgator for hosting
wordpress for setting up your site and adding content (you can install it directly from the hostgator control panel, very simple)

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
I appreciate that H.S. I am checking it out now.

Steve W

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jun 7, 2012
Another vote for hostgator - I host about 60 sites with them & have had very few problems & any minor glitches have been sorted very quickly

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
If you are on a budget, or you just want to see if something will work -

000webhost.com

ITS FREE

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
If you are on a budget, or you just want to see if something will work -

000webhost.com

ITS FREE

Have you used them?
I'm thinking this could be pretty sweet for getting IP diversity for backlinks.

Anyone know of other free web hosting companies?

Thanks!

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Have you used them?
I'm thinking this could be pretty sweet for getting IP diversity for backlinks.

Thanks!

I am using them for about 3 sites, with no problems.

If you start to need allot of bandwidth you are best off using a paid service

but for small stuff or test the waters they seem very good

bigtamale

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Jul 15, 2012
So if you're doing a video plugin for wordpress, I HIGHLY recommend you getting some WP specific hosting as the next exploit is only a release away when you're that popular.

hxxp://wpengine.com/

They can do backend tweaks to make WP perform better as well. Not cheap but worth the money.

If you have aspirations of your site getting big (viral traffic, ...) your best bet would be to put your hosting on a cloud that way you can just click a button and increase (or decrease) your hosting. With a video site, I'd hope you've spent some time considering the scalability as it's a resource hog of a site.

I use amazon & rackspace cloud currently. Rackspace gets a slight nod. The setup is a little bit nerdy to get going but the money spent will be well worth it when your current site is busting at the seams and you're staring down the barrel of a site transfer just to get it responsive again. Been there, done that. Go cloud.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Have you tried a Google search?

Free Hosts - Free Web Hosting

Of course, I just wanted to see if anyone has *experience* using any because I know that many of them are bait and switch type of offers or give you a subdomain like a web2.0 would instead of allowing you to use your own domain like a regular self-hosted site would.

But I guess for getting IP diversity in your backlinks it probably isn't going to matter either way. Thanks.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
But I guess for getting IP diversity in your backlinks it probably isn't going to matter either way. Thanks.

Well, when talking about using those for backlinks you have to keep in mind that you're building backlinks for the long-term. And you'll never know how long a free hoster will be around and your backlink sites might vanish from one day to the other.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Yeah, that already happens, especially with Web2.0 sies, haha.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Can you install wordpress on a site with this host?

Yes, it even has an autoinstaller (btw, I got that information straight from their frontpage ;)).

sunnydaplayer1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 1, 2012
Asia
x10.bz offers you the best free web hosting services. It gives you the exact and same control panel that paid domains and webhosts use. You even get softaculous auto-installer which installs joomla or wordpress or any other popular cms or feature that u require.
They even give you more than 500 mb storage space. I learnt everything about web hosting and the cPanel thanks to these guys. Customer support is good too.
If ever I require a webhost for my unique domain, i will choose them first.

cdrag

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 11, 2012
Chicago
I have been using inmotion for years now and they have great customer service and excellent uptime. I think that in the last 2 years their servers were only down for a few hours to do maintenance.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.