The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress Thread: SuccessInMind's invention

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Santa Clara, California, United States
Hey guys. I've done progress threads before, but this time I'm fully committed to executing this idea and see it become a reality. I took a seminar class over the summer that really opened my eyes about the reasons for why I my life wasn't where I wanted it to be. I've had tons of business ideas in the past, but I've never followed through with any of them for one reason or another. However, I learned that to be an entrepreneur, one must be UNREASONABLE:

Unreasonable: Being more committed to the results than the reasons for why they can't happen.

I'm going to be unreasonable with this idea and my goal is to have my company up and running by May 2012. I finally found an idea for an invention that solves a problem that millions of people have. I've set a goal for myself to accomplish something every week so that May 2012 becomes a reality rather than just "mental masturbation." (I forgot who, but someone here said that term and it's become one of my favorite phrases)

So far:

-I've asked a lot of members of the market segment that I'm after about whether they would use my invention of not and if it would solve their needs. I've talked about this idea to friends and people who I've just met and all have said YES. I took that as a very good sign that this idea is worth pursuing.

-I have a friend/artist who is willing to draw my invention for me (since I suck at drawing!).

-I've also made a list of several manufacturers who I will contact next week to negotiate prices on making a prototype.

-I have an NDA, courtesy of a friend in law school who is also an entrepreneur.

Next action items on the list :

-Get price quotes on prototypes from manufacturers. If the price is too high then my goal will be to save up the money to pay up.

-Come up with several marketing/distribution strategies. Just like it says on TMF , when it comes to innovation, the real war is won with distribution. Manufacturing is only half the battle.

On a side note, it's been really hard trying to do all of this on top of going to school full-time, working 20 hours a week, and having big projects due in all of my classes (trying to graduate by this December). But as a very good friend has told me, I need to be selfish with my time. I wake up 5am every morning so I can study and stay ahead of my classes and I'm asleep by 12am at the absolute latest. I have to say no to hangout with friends and other fun things. But that's what it means to be UNREASONABLE.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress and hopefully I can inspire others on this forum to be UNREASONABLE and to TAKE ACTION. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
UPDATE:

Getting my prototype drawing done by a friend. First draft should be done by this weekend hopefully. We'll see how it looks, but I'm expecting at least one more draft before I use it to go talk to some manufacturers. Shout out to Likwid24 for hooking me up with one of them.

Next action:

Need to brush up on my negotiating skills. Since there isn't anything in the market like my product, I really have no idea what a reasonable price for a prototype would be. On the high-end, products that use similar materials cost about $20-$25 bucks. I'm guessing since this is a prototype that it might take around $50-$70 to make, but I really don't know. Hopefully it's not anymore than that, but we'll see.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
SuccessinMind, good luck with your plans.
One thing that struck me though when reading your post was the date of May 2012.
Is your invention that complex that it requires so much time to get ready?
As you know: Not the big will eat the small, but the fast will eat the slow.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Hi HenkHolland,

I plan on getting things rolling way before May 2012 (around February actually), but I'm also aware that there are things that may come up in the process that might make things go a little slower than I want. For example, I may go through many prototypes before I find the right one that I want to go ahead with and that's going to take time and money. Or maybe the first couple batches end up being more expensive than I am able to pay, so it will take time for me to accumulate the funds that I need in order to pay up. Point is, things may come up that will take some time for me to adapt to in order to move forward and May 2012 seems like a feasible goal (for now).

It's a process :)

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
A huge part of your time should be spent getting customers to pre-order from/pre-pay you.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Interesting. But why would they pre-order/pre-pay for something they don't know they'll like or don't know if other people like? Shouldn't I focus on testing my idea out first and see what the market thinks before I start thinking about getting people to start paying up?

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
UPDATE:

Got the first drafts of drawings of my invention. Looked pretty good, but needed some work. Looking forward to getting the final drafts tomorrow and start negotiating with a couple manufacturers before the end of the week.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
One thing that struck me though when reading your post was the date of May 2012.
Is your invention that complex that it requires so much time to get ready?
As you know: Not the big will eat the small, but the fast will eat the slow.

Inventing a Product is a long process. You don't just tell the manufacturer your idea and have it made overnight. There's A LOT involved. Unless your a huge corporation with your own factory and have tons of experience, it will take time.

May of 2012 is being very optimistic. I started in April and my product is very simple to make. I don't expect it to be ready till at least December at the earliest.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
At the least I would set up an online survey and find out if people are willing to pay whatever amount for it. But Rickson is right, pre-ordering is best. Before delving into development I would get an artist rendition of what it would look like, what it would do - create a sales letter for it where you are allowing the first 100 to commit to buy. Then would send traffic to it via PPC or JV traffic deals with related sites (paid banner ads on their sites). I'd set up this process and if I could get 2 people in 500 or even 1000 at first who see it that are willing to fork over their $ for it I'd figure I may have something.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
UPDATE: Just got picked up the final drawings. They look very clear and precise. My friend even threw in an artist's rendition of the product just like deepestblue mentioned. Planning on contacting some manufacturers by the end of the week.

Action items:

-Negotiate prices on prototypes
-Continue to come up with marketing/distribution strategies. I've ordered the book Ca$hvertising from Amazon to help me get my head in the right mindset.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
PS: Anyone who comments on this thread will get speed rep from me. Kindly speed rep me back :)

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
UPDATE: In the process of setting up a meeting with a company located close by to the Silicon Valley who can possibly take my idea to the next level. This company has a very good reputation and they can do everything in terms of marketing, branding, prototyping, testing, etc. So if they choose to work with me, it'll definitely cost me some of my equity, in fact maybe around 60% or more. However, choosing to work with me would also be a great sign that they believe it's a million-dollar idea worth investing their time and resources on.

I really don't mind if I end up with 40% or less as long as the split is fair and we're working together to make sure we bring a successful product into the market. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The meeting won't take place for at least a month or two so I have plenty of time to do more research and get more knowledge in that arena. In the meantime, I'm getting my artist friend to draw some variations of the product that I suggested to her so that I can show its full potential by showing the different directions that we can take with it when it comes time to meet.

Also, Ca$hvertising finally came in the mail :)

Action items:
-Keep working on the drawing with my friend for the next couple weeks.
-Look for other companies who may be interested in working with me. It's always good to negotiate with more than one company, especially if they're competitors.
-Read Ca$hvertising and possibly other marketing/advertising books to come up with a clearer strategy on how to market and distribute.

Feeling like things are starting to take a more intense pace. I'm very excited!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
This company has a very good reputation and they can do everything in terms of marketing, branding, prototyping, testing, etc. So if they choose to work with me, it'll definitely cost me some of my equity, in fact maybe around 60% or more.

What kind of company is this? I hope it's not one of those inventrite companies or something similar. And 60% seems like way too much to give up. By giving up more than 50%, Your losing control of your product.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
What kind of company is this? I hope it's not one of those inventrite companies or something similar. And 60% seems like way too much to give up. By giving up more than 50%, Your losing control of your product.

It's not one of those companies. I haven't even met with the company yet so I have no idea how much equity I would give up, but I'm just assuming that much considering that they would be paying the costs for prototyping, testing, branding, etc.

When it comes time to negotiating all of that, I'll be sure to get a lawyer on my side who can make sure the deal is fair, but right now all that stuff is just speculation and I don't plan to make any ironclad decisions yet until the time comes and I have more information.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
UPDATE: My team and I have found someone who is willing to create our first prototype so that we can start testing it out and getting feedback. So right now we're focusing a lot on improving our designs that we have right now so we have a better idea of the different directions we can take with this and can pick which ones we want to make prototypes of. It's funny, I compared my original idea to the designs we have so far and it's amazing how much we've improved on the designs. The product is starting to look a lot more sleek and aesthetically pleasing which is what we are going for.

Enjoying the process!

Action Items:
-Finish up the designs (1-2 weeks from now)
-Choose an initial design to go with for our first prototype (2-3 weeks from now)
-Get prototype made (4-6 weeks from now)
-Start getting some focus groups together to test out our prototype and get feed back (Within 2 months from now)
-Work on patenting process

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hey man how was cashvertising??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Hey man how was cashvertising??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Ca$hvertising is a very good and easy read. I learned a lot. Highly recommended!

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
How goes the progress Success?! Thanks for posting your progress...

Tom

Hey Tom,

Progress has been halted for now, just because I am finishing up my last quarter of school. Finals are this week so I will be going full steam ahead next week once I'm finished. Currently working on getting a prototype made hopefully in three weeks. Thanks for following my progress, I hope to be posting more once this week is over and I graduate :)

tom_rob

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Nov 13, 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Me too! Good luck with finals! I don't miss those days... well maybe a little... :)
I'm not stalking you... just happen to by showing my girlfriend this thread and you posted... Have a good night!

Tom

Sky

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Sep 6, 2011
Sounds good. I wonder how the testing the market will go. As your first initial prototype, I am interested to see how customer will react to your product. Good luck.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Me too! Good luck with finals! I don't miss those days... well maybe a little... :)
I'm not stalking you... just happen to by showing my girlfriend this thread and you posted... Have a good night!

Tom

Wasn't even thinking it! Just glad that there's only 3 more days left and I can move on with my life and my invention!

Sounds good. I wonder how the testing the market will go. As your first initial prototype, I am interested to see how customer will react to your product. Good luck.

Thanks Sky! I'm just enjoying the entire process so far and I also CAN'T WAIT to test the market and get some juicy feedback, good or bad.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
UPDATE:

Slowed down my roll this past month with my invention because I've been educating myself with Stephen Key's One Simple Idea. This book is teaching me a lot about how to go forward with my idea and I'm really thankful to the people in this forum for talking about it, otherwise I would never have picked it up! Another EXCUSE that's slowed me down is that I got a new job recently and I've been trying to figure out how to make time for working out at the gym and my invention around my new work schedule.

***NOTE: I say EXCUSE because I don't want this new job to be the reason why I'm fat and haven't made it into the fastlane.

Goals for this month:

-Finish Mr. Key's book and create a task schedule for my invention from what I've learned in the book.

Main goal (as of now):

-Get my idea licensed by May 2012 by at least 1 company

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Although I do believe that after many many years and many clever successful products, licensing can turn sorta fastlane. I also believe that it will be much more difficult if your goal is to make enough money to feel "safe" or "free" and live off interest.

It also takes away from the entrepreneurial spirit.

There is much greater risk with manufacturing a product yourself but there is much greater reward.

IMO licensing is the easy way out. Maybe its good for your first project so you can put together some start up money for your next. But if your goal is the same as mine and the same as MJs, maybe you should reconsider. If your goal is to make some side money while your working and going to school then I guess licensing isn't a bad option.

Good luck either way!

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Although I do believe that after many many years and many clever successful products, licensing can turn sorta fastlane. I also believe that it will be much more difficult if your goal is to make enough money to feel "safe" or "free" and live off interest.

It also takes away from the entrepreneurial spirit.

There is much greater risk with manufacturing a product yourself but there is much greater reward.

IMO licensing is the easy way out. Maybe its good for your first project so you can put together some start up money for your next. But if your goal is the same as mine and the same as MJs, maybe you should reconsider. If your goal is to make some side money while your working and going to school then I guess licensing isn't a bad option.

Good luck either way!

I think my idea solves a problem that no one has solved effectively yet and can be manufactured and mass-produced with existing technology that many companies in the industry are already in possession of. And my product can also benefit a wide variety of companies in the industry, from the ones that carry high-end brands to the ones that carry cheaper ones because the cost to produce is very dependent on the quality of material used. Since so many companies could benefit (instead of just one or a few), it is more worth my while (in my mind at least) to focus on licensing this to as many companies as possible so that the royalty checks will be coming from multiple sources, rather than the ONE company that chose to use my idea.

On the flip side, I realize that is all just the best case scenario. Worst case scenario, no one wants to use my invention, in which case I still save a lot of money that I would've otherwise wasted on patents for an idea that ended up not being as profitable as I thought it was going to be lol.

But I see your point. I think for a lot of other inventions, licensing would definitely be a cop out, but for me I just think my product would be better licensed rather than manufactured and distributed solely by me. I also realize what I'm saying is probably hard to make sense of since no one here knows what my idea is yet haha.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Update: Haven't been here for awhile because I've been so busy working on this idea for almost a year now.

Long story short: Have an experienced business partner who has been in the industry for 12 years. We're 50-50 in this with my business partner taking care of product development and manufacturing while I take care of business development, marketing and overall other logistics not related to the development of the product. If you haven't already guessed, we're not licensing this product anymore and we're going to build a company around this instead.

Currently working on the video we're going to post on Kickstarter and when we do, I'll post a link here so you guys can finally find out what I've been working on for the past year.

Our goal: Sell 1 million units by Nov. 15, 2013.

PS: Was really surprised to see the new layout! Great to see the forum growing!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.