The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress Thread: Finally pulled the trigger on importing

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Well, I finally did it. After reading a few of the threads a long time ago, I looked into importing but never actually did it. So when I read the blog post by Will, I decided to take a look at it. I have a friend who has been interested in doing business together so I decided to work with him on it. Nice to make someone else do a lot of the work, although I have to show him some things here and there.

So we started about a month ago or so researching. I'd look for products on Alibaba and then read all the threads by Vilante, Biophase, etc on importing and eCommerce businesses. It has been a pretty busy month or so. I found some products I thought would work, but turns out they may not. It definitely took longer than I expected though.

But...we found something that I think should work, I think. It was in a market I thought was saturated but this niche is kind of a hot area right now and will be for the next several years at least. So we spoke with the manufacturer and got a sample. $73.2 + $34 shipping + paypal. $110.xx in total for the sample. I paid Sunday night and got it yesterday, not bad coming from China. Extremely pleased with the quality, I was blown away actually. Surprised my friend too, tested it out a bit and worked amazing. After playing with it a bit, we took the next step and listed it. $127.99 + 9.99 shipping, took all of 15 hours to sell. Not sure if it helped or not, but today I revised the listing to change the quantity from 1 to 3. My thought was if they see 1, it might not look as legit, but if they see 3, maybe they think we are more legit and buy asap because there aren't many.

After we ship it, we will probably make a few bucks profit, but it is the sample so I am not too worried. We found out there is a demand for these. Shipping will go down a lot with bulk orders. Based on rough (I don't know exact shipping costs) estimates, I think we can make $30 net on each unit.

I emailed the manufacturer today to ask a few more questions and get some information on another order. He originally sent an excel document with everything they have, I starting going through on eBay some sell with small margins, but many have pretty good ones so I want to work out getting a test sample with each large order and continue to add new products.

In addition, I notice there are a couple people selling a lot of these on eBay but they don't really control the other markets. Amazon is barely tapped, Buy.com has nothing, and there really aren't other places to get them. Tonight, we are going to make a eCommerce test store with all the products. List everything the manufacturer offers and see what sells, and doesn't. Neither of us have done an eCommerce store so it will be a lot of learning for us, but based on the threads on here, I think we can figure it out.

It really is amazing how far we have come in a month, and it will be more interesting to see where we will be in 1 month, 2 months, or a year. I think are timing is good because we have a year to build up before the holidays, if we F*ck this up, its our own fault.

Stay tuned, I will continue to post updates.

BTW, I am still doing the apps, they are progressing but still need work.

:icon_super:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I emailed the manufacturer today

Quantity discounts and bulk shipping will really help on your margins -- it can make or break the venture.

Thanks for the update! Very exciting. :)

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Importing from China has REALLY picked up on this forum recently.

Glad to see another person getting into it! Congrats!

Hope to see more positive updates :)

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks guys.

About to make the next order, it will be 19 of the current item, and 1 of a new item. Not sure on what the sample item will be so that will change the figures a little bit but if we were ordering 20 of the current item, our total cost per unit would be $82.56. Still not sure what shipping costs for us will be exactly, shipping the item today and it is going to be in whatever box I can fit it in. I ordered specific boxes that will best fit the product box, they cost $0.80 per box. Based on rough estimates with our shipping cost, we should be able to make $31-32 profit per item. I'm pretty happy with that.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
You went from:
a sample. $73.2 + $34 shipping + paypal. $110.xx

To:
our total cost per unit would be $82.56.

So right there you made $30 more per unit than what you got with the sample, correct?

How would the numbers change if you order 50 units? 100? 1,000?

Is this a 'brandable' product? How much extra would it cost you to have the manufacturer brand it as "oddball's widget" so you can start creating brand awareness?

Speed ++ for taking these steps and sharing with us.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
You went from:

To:

So right there you made $30 more per unit than what you got with the sample, correct?

How would the numbers change if you order 50 units? 100? 1,000?

Is this a 'brandable' product? How much extra would it cost you to have the manufacturer brand it as "oddball's widget" so you can start creating brand awareness?

Speed ++ for taking these steps and sharing with us.
Thank you!

Yes, on the sample we made ~ $2 so when we do big orders and pay the lower shipping we will make about $32.

The brand is the one thing we can't control. It is already a brand but not well known. I already found a couple areas that they don't really sell on so I think we can really take advantage there. We started playing with BigCommerce and are working on getting that taken care of. eBay will be the hardest to take over because there are a couple who sell the same brand but our sample showed it might not be as hard as I think.

We are going to get new samples each time and hopefully on the following order we are buying more and more. We did some research last night on eBay for what might be the next best possible product. I'll get a sample with out order that I am placing tonight.

I've been buying and selling on forums, eBay, and Amazon for years, I have some idea what to do but I have a lot to learn. I told me friend though, with all the information we have on this forum and the tools available on like BigCommerce and the rest of the internet, there is no reason we can't be successful on this.

bclark85

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
This is awesome! I am in the process of doing the same thing myself right now. I found a great niche that is hardly tapped into from what I can see. The problem I am running into is that the minimum orders are anywhere from 100 to 500 and I am not sure I want to start with that much inventory right away until I have an idea of how fast it will move.

You mentioned in your first post about creating your ecommerce store that lists everything you supplier manufactures just to get a feel for what will sell and what will be the most popular. I am thinking of doing this as well, however what if people start ordering those products? Do they have to wait 2 or 3 for their item while you order it from your manufacturer? Great job pulling the trigger on this!

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
Im confused on your pricing. You said the sample cost
$73.2 + $34 shipping + paypal. $110.xx in total for the sample.

But then for a bulk orderm your total is
total cost per unit would be $82.56. Still not sure what shipping costs for us will be exactly

so thats, $73.20 + shipping for a sample of ONE product &
$82.56 + shipping for a bulk order of 20 products. Shouldnt your cost have come down for a large order?

Im just confused on your price point.

But Ive also dabbled into the importing side of the business lately, and frankly Ive found it quite simple after developing a system that finds products that work...(products not niche). I work with smaller price point products though, But I have 12-18 orders per day on ebay netting profit of $9-12 profit per sale.

So yea, everybody has been jumping into the importing business for a reason, a lot of money to be made from it, and its a huge market.

Looking like you are on the right path . SPEED ++++

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The problem I am running into is that the minimum orders are anywhere from 100 to 500

- Ask for a sample order. Whatever you need for your purpose - 5? 10 units? Whatever.
- Try to sell your samples after they pass your quality testing if everything went smoothly up to this point.
- If they sell easily enough, place a slightly larger order, ramp up.

Everything I've read about importing says that minimum quantities are almost always negotiable. If you find someone who won't budge, find someone else.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
This is awesome! I am in the process of doing the same thing myself right now. I found a great niche that is hardly tapped into from what I can see. The problem I am running into is that the minimum orders are anywhere from 100 to 500 and I am not sure I want to start with that much inventory right away until I have an idea of how fast it will move.

You mentioned in your first post about creating your ecommerce store that lists everything you supplier manufactures just to get a feel for what will sell and what will be the most popular. I am thinking of doing this as well, however what if people start ordering those products? Do they have to wait 2 or 3 for their item while you order it from your manufacturer? Great job pulling the trigger on this!

With BigCommerce you can actually set it up for preorders. Or if you wanted, you can make a trail account and just setup a completely fake store, just use it for data collection, not actual orders. But with that you can miss out on real orders.

Im confused on your pricing. You said the sample cost

But then for a bulk orderm your total is

so thats, $73.20 + shipping for a sample of ONE product &
$82.56 + shipping for a bulk order of 20 products. Shouldnt your cost have come down for a large order?

Im just confused on your price point.

But Ive also dabbled into the importing side of the business lately, and frankly Ive found it quite simple after developing a system that finds products that work...(products not niche). I work with smaller price point products though, But I have 12-18 orders per day on ebay netting profit of $9-12 profit per sale.

So yea, everybody has been jumping into the importing business for a reason, a lot of money to be made from it, and its a huge market.

Looking like you are on the right path . SPEED ++++

Thanks for the speed.

The $82.xx is with shipping included, so it is the total cost we pay on the buying side. I see where the misunderstanding came from, I didn't know what shipping would cost for us to the customer. Shipping per item is around $9 now vs. $34 when we got just 1 sample. It definitely is a good business to be in though.

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
The $82.xx is with shipping included, so it is the total cost we pay on the buying side. Shipping per item is around $9 now vs. $34 when we got just 1 sample. It definitely is a good business to be in though.

Ok thanks for clarifying. I thought the shipping wasnt included because you said the order would be $82.56. and you "still not sure what shipping costs for us will be exactly".

But great margins though ...

Best of luck!!!

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Ok thanks for clarifying. I thought the shipping wasnt included because you said the order would be $82.56. and you "still not sure what shipping costs for us will be exactly".

But great margins though ...

Best of luck!!!

My apoligies, I should have worded it beyter

bclark85

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
With BigCommerce you can actually set it up for preorders. Or if you wanted, you can make a trail account and just setup a completely fake store, just use it for data collection, not actual orders. But with that you can miss out on real orders.
Hmm, never thought of that. I guess that is one option. I am thinking about just starting off with a couple of products and then adding more as profits start coming in monthly so I have money to reinvest and grow my inventory. I'm not sure if I want to show something on my site as an option and then not be able to deliver on it if a customer tries to purchase it. Thanks for the idea on this!

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Alright, haven't had an update in a few days.

So today I got a text from my partner on this saying he was dropping out. He is in high school and it was creating some family issues. I can't say whether this is good or bad right now. Typically, I wouldn't have partnered with him but he wanted to start a business so he came to me with it. I was kind of overseeing things and he did most of the work. At the same time, maybe it is better because now it shouldn't create any business conflicts that could ruin our friendship. Plus, I get 100% now instead of 50% but have a ton more work.

Ok, enough of that and on to the good stuff. I got the 1st large(r) order earlier this week. I opened a box to the new sample product and saw no batteries included. Opened the other boxes and same thing. I found out he did this for shipping reasons and I got the batteries yesterday. I put the stuff back up for sale on Monday, got 1st sale in 12 hours and then another sale on Wednesday. The listing has 74 views, 8 watchers, and 2 sales. All of that is just from throwing the product on eBay.

Luckily he worked on the site already and it is pretty much ready to go. I just need to add products and touch up a few spots. I've done a ton of research on SEO and general ecommerce tips so I think I have plenty of things to get me up and running. There is still a lot left to do. I need to get a bank account and PO box and then create a new account on Amazon, and I also need to look more into listing on Buy.com.

Last night I ordered different samples from a different manufacturer. This manufacturer I found offers some of the same products but unbranded. So I already am talking to them about putting my own brand on them. What I was thinking I can do is create the store around the current brand so my store gains reputation and then add in my brand and slowly build that up.

So hit a small snag today but it is nothing major. I already have 2 quality products and will hopefully add 2 more when I get these new samples.

One thing I would like suggestions on. The niche offers many similar products, I eventually want to add them all but for now, should I add them all on the site as something available to purchase? add them as preorders? or leave them out?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.