The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Professional/Branded Ads vs. Home Baked

Marketing, social media, advertising

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
I've noticed lately that unbranded/lightly branded or non-commercial looking ads/posts seem to be getting good response. For example at the outset of the pandemic a previously "wholesale only" orchard started selling direct to locals. The only marketing I can see is their Facebook posts on their own page & in a few community Facebook groups. They did get a mention on local TV but they were going really well prior to that anyway. They basically deliver $60 -$100 fruit boxes. I'd say they're doing maybe 100 boxes a week. That's not bad for a small family business in a town of 40K. Early on I contacted them about doing an e-commerce site for them but they seem to be going pretty well though it's probably taking them a lot of time to process orders & payments.
I thought this post above was cool. He's just posted a video him packing the fruit box & talking about what he's putting in it. In 24 mintues it's got 224 views. It will probably be 500 views by the end of the day. Not bad for free advertising.

In thinking about the above I did an analysis of how one of my more commercial looking ads performed on Gumtree (like Craigslist) compared to others. It's pretty sad. My nice banner ad performed very poorly.

Anyway just thought this was interesting. Maybe others can add their thoughts on professional/branded advertising vs home baked.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• 1589603296076.png
    1589603296076.png
    751.7 KB · Views: 3

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
People hate ads unless they are highly relevant to them at that moment. Make yours look like an organic post and they'll click.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Just an update. It's now 6hrs since they posted that video & it has 1493 views. So much for my estimate of just 500 views! Just shows you the power of a simple video shot on his phone that probably too only a few minutes to do.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Me smells overthinking. Caveman brain no happy.

I've noticed lately that unbranded/lightly branded or non-commercial looking ads/posts seem to be getting good response. For example at the outset of the pandemic a previously "wholesale only" orchard started selling direct to locals.
They veggie people. Write like veggy people is brand. Video of veggies like grandma is brand. Fancy graphicky thingy is not brand.

The only marketing I can see is their Facebook posts on their own page & in a few community Facebook groups. They did get a mention on local TV but they were going really well prior to that anyway. They basically deliver $60 -$100 fruit boxes.
They local business. What else need? Super Fruitbowl Ad?

I'd say they're doing maybe 100 boxes a week.
How smart man know? Smart man know assumption danger? Bias kill.

View attachment 32983
I thought this post above was cool. He's just posted a video him packing the fruit box & talking about what he's putting in it. In 24 mintues it's got 224 views. It will probably be 500 views by the end of the day. Not bad for free advertising.
They veggie people. Sell veggie. Show veggie. Smart marketing. No overthink. Also free watermelon good. Grog like watermelon.

Why think graphicky thing work more good?

In thinking about the above I did an analysis of how one of my more commercial looking ads performed on Gumtree (like Craigslist) compared to others. It's pretty sad. My nice banner ad performed very poorly.
View attachment 32984

Anyway just thought this was interesting. Maybe others can add their thoughts on professional/branded advertising vs home baked.
You wood man. Show wood. No show weird orange thingy. Grog want wood. Nice wood. Cook meat, keep wife warm. Orangey weird thingy no warm beautiful wife. Small for fire. Maybe to start. But what burns? Need wood.

Pro ad is simple ad. Pro ad is wood. Pro ad is veggie. Graphicky thingy is roleplay marketer. Child beating chest.

Grog beat child with rock. Grog teach child how be man.

Me sweary forumpeoples more success if more stupid.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Artisan is the new 'stealth' commercial/branded form of advertising.
Depends on market segment too, produce lends itself ideally to this form of advertising, cloud computing not so much.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Artisan is the new 'stealth' commercial/branded form of advertising.
Depends on market segment too, produce lends itself ideally to this form of advertising, cloud computing not so much.
Yeah it's crazy what they charge at our local farmers markets now days. It's 2 or 3 times what you pay in the supermarket but people seem to pay it.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Yeah it's crazy what they charge at our local farmers markets now days. It's 2 or 3 times what you pay in the supermarket but people seem to pay it.
Yeah, it's price targeting in the form of perceived value.
Is organic grass-fed beef worth more than free-range grass-fed beef?
My supplier clearly states the only difference is the certificate, other than the vast price of course.
They sell both, so they don't seem to have an agenda.
I guess artisan & organic are the venté caramel latte with extra whipped cream of the produce world.
Starbucks are masters of price targeting.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Me smells overthinking. Caveman brain no happy.

They veggie people. Write like veggy people is brand. Video of veggies like grandma is brand. Fancy graphicky thingy is not brand.

They local business. What else need? Super Fruitbowl Ad?

How smart man know? Smart man know assumption danger? Bias kill.

They veggie people. Sell veggie. Show veggie. Smart marketing. No overthink. Also free watermelon good. Grog like watermelon.

Why think graphicky thing work more good?

You wood man. Show wood. No show weird orange thingy. Grog want wood. Nice wood. Cook meat, keep wife warm. Orangey weird thingy no warm beautiful wife. Small for fire. Maybe to start. But what burns? Need wood.

Pro ad is simple ad. Pro ad is wood. Pro ad is veggie. Graphicky thingy is roleplay marketer. Child beating chest.

Grog beat child with rock. Grog teach child how be man.

Me sweary forumpeoples more success if more stupid.

Me smart man, me try think like Grog.

Me think less. Me do more. Simple stuff. But more effective.
Time will show.
Me report back.

Me also thinks Grog should brand & trademark Grog. Grog could sell many things

"We Simple people, we sell simple things. We no complicate.
We have X = we want Y. You buy? Great. You come back soon."

Grog can sell many things with Grog brand.
My 2 cents. LOL

P.s
I love this animation ... of big foot.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFJf4BRiNpE

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content