The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product Concept to Final Product Costs + Funding

Steve0311

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 14, 2022
Sumner, WA
Question 1:
I understand that this questions will have many variables and is highly subjective, however, does anyone have a ballpark $ amount on how much it would cost (from concept to final product) to produce a headset type product with bluetooth and noise cancelling (including FCC and other licensing aspects)? So far, most of the product design firms i've gotten initial quotes from start at around $4k for just Industrial Design drawings. Note: I know there are products that already exist with these specific items, however, my current product concept adds a few more functions that would make this unique.

Question 2:
I'm currently self funding this project with the intent to create an Indiegogo or Kickstarter campaign so that I can go forward with the product development process. Is this a stereotypical, "which comes first, the chicken or the egg?" kind of dilemma? Should I prioritize creating a legal business, seek funding, then go forth or product development?

Overall note: I have received overall positive responses for my product concept questionnaire via SurveyMonkey (250 individuals, very broad and not specifically target; this will help narrow my target market).

Looking forward to your responses!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

freek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
Question 1:
I understand that this questions will have many variables and is highly subjective, however, does anyone have a ballpark $ amount on how much it would cost (from concept to final product) to produce a headset type product with bluetooth and noise cancelling (including FCC and other licensing aspects)? So far, most of the product design firms i've gotten initial quotes from start at around $4k for just Industrial Design drawings. Note: I know there are products that already exist with these specific items, however, my current product concept adds a few more functions that would make this unique.

Question 2:
I'm currently self funding this project with the intent to create an Indiegogo or Kickstarter campaign so that I can go forward with the product development process. Is this a stereotypical, "which comes first, the chicken or the egg?" kind of dilemma? Should I prioritize creating a legal business, seek funding, then go forth or product development?

Overall note: I have received overall positive responses for my product concept questionnaire via SurveyMonkey (250 individuals, very broad and not specifically target; this will help narrow my target market).

hi Steven,

This sounds very promising, from what i understand you plan to add a few functions to a very well understood product. Do you plan to get a patent? If so this should be your main focus. Further the legal business side of things is not so important right now, the focus should be on product development. Unfortunately we don't live in a fairytale world and this requires a lot of funding most of the time. I think this is really one of those go hard or go home projects, if you can make a good quality product which actually adds value or is actually different from the enormous amount of already existing products in this market you will make millions and millions. However if you overlook the production proces and try to get sales as soon as possible with a mediocre product your business will be over before it even started. Anyway good luck!

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
Question 1:

Question 2:

Why dont you try to create a following while you develop this product , an idea might be a kickstarter campaign and vlogs where you market the product and show it's level of development so that you receive both feedbacks and potential buyers

Steve0311

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 14, 2022
Sumner, WA
Why dont you try to create a following while you develop this product , an idea might be a kickstarter campaign and vlogs where you market the product and show it's level of development so that you receive both feedbacks and potential buyers
I've been going back and forth on this specific path that you just mentioned. My mind works linear as far as tasking goes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.