The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Producing a Board Game 0-100 (Product dev, Crowd sourcing, Ecommerce, Ads)

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

OP
OP
Isaac Oh

Isaac Oh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Started creating some posts on reddit and am gaining some traction there already.

Had a playtest last night that went amazing. It played much better than I had assumed it would. Came out with lots of notes for improvements which I'll be implementing.

My goal is to have playtest kits sent out by this Friday.

Is a cool resource I plan on using to get some more attention to my kickstarter launch.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
Isaac Oh

Isaac Oh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I see a lot of value you’re putting in there. I believe that great story will grows a solid fan base. It is going to be awesome. This sounds just like how Toby Fox made his game, Undertale (One of my all-time favorite RPG despite the graphic pixels everyone hates).

I think if you are satisfied with the story, I agree that focusing at gameplay would be the first priority now. Quality over quantity. When looking at the game mechanism, you may need to often clear you head and look at it from the other sides. Go for a walk and you may get that ‘Aha’ moment out of nowhere. It is a creative task and stressing out your best buddy, brain, won’t help much.

I follow one motto aggressively. It is from the anime, MHA (excuse my nerd side haha). It goes ‘When you are at your limit, remember why you clenched your fist’. It sounds like a cliche but when you put it with your situation, your story and what you’ve been through, man, it will get you going every time. Hope it helps you too. Keep it up.
I've never played Undertale but I've heard good things about it. Thanks @s.wirat13! I'll keep that in mind.

An alternative to testing in person. If you have a friend who can do some basic coding, or whatever it would take on steam, there is a game called tabletop simulator. Pretty much any popular games get ripped off and created on there for people to play. Catan, monopoly, uno, poker, plus a lot in your RPG category I would guess. You could potentially have a very rough version without tons of individual card graphics or at least final products and use that audience to test. You could host the game and get input as you have randoms play that would require you to teach them the game.

Edit: I forgot to add things like dice, timers, etc are already standard in the platform. You only need to make your board and cards and if you wanted a rulebook. Since you said you were sending a lot digitally, this could be a better approach.
Very interesting. I'll definitely check this out. It seems like it might take some time to get it all set up but once it's done I'll be able to scale much more of the playtest.
One thing to consider is that this game is best played with groups of friends, not strangers. So I'm not sure if that would be a hindrance on that platform.

Sethamus

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
I've never played Undertale but I've heard good things about it. Thanks @s.wirat13! I'll keep that in mind.

Very interesting. I'll definitely check this out. It seems like it might take some time to get it all set up but once it's done I'll be able to scale much more of the playtest.
One thing to consider is that this game is best played with groups of friends, not strangers. So I'm not sure if that would be a hindrance on that platform.
The only time I get on tabletop is when my friends, that all live in separate cities now, decide to get on and play. If my group was one that was interested in buying this game we would never test it since we live so far apart. Just a different perspective.

If the board game takes off, nothing from stopping you making a web based game.

OP
OP
Isaac Oh

Isaac Oh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
The only time I get on tabletop is when my friends, that all live in separate cities now, decide to get on and play. If my group was one that was interested in buying this game we would never test it since we live so far apart. Just a different perspective.

If the board game takes off, nothing from stopping you making a web based game.
Yeah that absolutely makes sense. Many card games are mostly played online and some are exclusively online. Will definitely be looking into developing this after some physical playtests. Only because I'll be able to get the tests done sooner. Thanks for the idea!

Sethamus

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
Definitely keep on the track you are, as doing too much can slow progress or turn into action taking. Unless you hit a wall with the physical game just keep this idea in the back of your head. Even going into licensing/ production (however the board game world works) you might want to keep the rights to an online version. A lot of connections are online solely and while board game sales have probably soared during covid, how many families would play your type of game? From what I read it is more tailored for friends with similar interests, though I could be wrong as I haven't played much of these types.

OP
OP
Isaac Oh

Isaac Oh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Definitely keep on the track you are, as doing too much can slow progress or turn into action taking. Unless you hit a wall with the physical game just keep this idea in the back of your head. Even going into licensing/ production (however the board game world works) you might want to keep the rights to an online version. A lot of connections are online solely and while board game sales have probably soared during covid, how many families would play your type of game? From what I read it is more tailored for friends with similar interests, though I could be wrong as I haven't played much of these types.
Yeah, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely do that. It's not really a family game, it's more on the raunchy side haha. It's for friends who enjoy beating challenges together.

OP
OP
Isaac Oh

Isaac Oh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I've made two posts on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tabletopgamedesign/comments/hykrf3 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/tabletopgamedesign/comments/hykrf3/my_first_prototype_map_for_my_drinking_rpg_game/

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/hyldvl View: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/hyldvl/sharing_my_drinking_rpg_game_throat_punch_the/

Each got me considerable engagement. The coolest part was all the positive feedback I received. It was really a big boost of encouragement.

Many people said they couldn't wait for the game to be release. A few offered to help me test it. So, I'll continue to build some momentum there so that when the day of the campaign starts, I'll have a good amount of followers already.

Besides that, I made some player cards for the playtest kits I'm sending out this Friday. I used a lot of images by other people and will credit them when I post it on reddit.

View: https://imgur.com/a/EQuQzgy

My grassroots marketing plan at the moment is to release the designs I get as they come. Even poorly made designs myself like the one above seem to bring in a lot of engagement!

Otherwise, I'm preparing the playtest kits that I will send out this Friday. I'll send the minimum number of things physically, to save costs. Most of the stuff, I can send a digital version thanks to Google.

OP
OP
Isaac Oh

Isaac Oh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Bump - how is it going Isaac?
Thanks for asking @Kid . Things got pushed back, but I've made a lot of progress. Pretty much just waiting on some stamps to arrive because I had some people from the UK ask for a copy of the play test kit.

Besides that, I've condensed the 26 page rulebook into a much more straightforward 6 pages! That took a lot more work than I thought it would.

I also heard back from the first manufacturer. The others require that I make the 3D miniature models before they can give me a quote. It's a long timeline because I'll have to have the illustrations done, then find someone else who can help with the 3D designs.

The first manufacturer quoted me at almost $35,000 for 1000 units. The game itself comes to around $27 per unit and about $6.50 for shipping (just under $32.50 total) but the flat fees of safety material tests, samples, molding fee really add up. I'll be waiting for other quotes and seeing which ones are open for negotiation. I'm also considering raising the MOQ and using a large portion of kickstarter revenue to just buy the extra games personally, keeping enough revenue to spend on ads so I can sell the rest. Not too sure yet but that'll become clear later. I'm planning to sell at around the $70 mark but I'll have to do some calculations later.

So it's going to be waiting to send out the kits, waiting for the feedback, waiting for the artists to finish the graphics and illustrations. Lots of waiting to do so I'll just work on creating more content during that time.

Kid

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016
Ok so no hurry. Thanks for reply.

Besides that, I've condensed the 26 page rulebook into a much more straightforward 6 pages! That took a lot more work than I thought it would.
Good job :) I believe its not as easy as people might think

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here to revive this thread and to convince anyone who is hesitant to sign up. The short version...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
How do I sell to a different country with an accent? And a foreign number. Cold e-mails don't...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
Hey @Cruiser I just shot you a reply! Amazing product BTW!
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Well, we made it halfway through the year. Don't know what the rest'll bring, but it's gonna be...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Not really a teaser but it does employ a fictional story, so that is similiar. This upcoming...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom